Unattended Children Will Be Given an Espresso and a Puppy

Details

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/06/national/main1100760.shtml
Too often, though, our cultural emphasis on freedom and individual rights gets taken to the extreme, becoming "a kind of selfish entitlement that undermines our ability to function as a civil community," says George Scarlett, a professor of child development at Tufts University in Boston.

"The rights of any one individual, whether he or she be a parent, child or stranger, do not negate the rights of others."
I think a lot of parents have just decided to forget about parenting - just be a friend - and that leads to a lot of obnoxious kid behavior. I used to work in a jewelry store, and some parents expected us to be babysitters while they looked and the kids ran behind the counters. Or worse, they expected us not to object to whatever their kids decided to do.

I agree with the mother in the article who said she felt cheated when she went out after paying good money for a babysitter, then had to deal with rowdy kids at her restaurant. I know that kids can be wild sometimes, but I'm seeing more and more kids in places that aren't necessarily kid-friendly, and it is annoying. Also, what is with parents bringing their kids out late at night and to grown-up movies? It makes me very uncomfortable watching an R-rated movie with a 6yo in the audience.

Mr. E said:
I agree with the mother in the article who said she felt cheated when she went out after paying good money for a babysitter, then had to deal with rowdy kids at her restaurant. I know that kids can be wild sometimes, but I'm seeing more and more kids in places that aren't necessarily kid-friendly, and it is annoying. Also, what is with parents bringing their kids out late at night and to grown-up movies? It makes me very uncomfortable watching an R-rated movie with a 6yo in the audience.
I agree!

I think the difference between myself and mothers of bratty kids is when I say something I mean it! If I say we are leaving, we leave! It's RUDE and inconsiderate not to!

I've posted on here before about this being one of my biggest pet peeves. And also some horror stories from when I was a part-time hostess, so I won't go into all of that again.

But the one thing that drives me NUTS/amazes me is the people that bring young kids into a BAR!

don't get me started on this subject either.
i just want to walk up and smack some women who sit there like they are freaking DEAF while their little brat is letting out a nerve-shattering, ear-piercing scream. there is NO EXCUSE for this!! when did this stuff start?? even 10 or 15 years ago, i don't remember it being acceptable for kids to be this bratty & out of control in public... it seemed that parents still made an effort to teach their kids manners.

as for the article, the guy even said what he had to say NICELY-- he never said "NO KIDS"--- and there are idiots out there who still have the nerve to be angry at him for it!! it's HIS PLACE for crying out loud!

OK. I worked on a boat serving food. You would not believe the number of parents that take their babies in diapers and set them on my food counter.

A coworker was so disgusted she put up a sign saying "Do not put babies on the counter." I had to take it down because it was a big turn off for apetites.

reb said:
i just want to walk up and smack some women who sit there like they are freaking DEAF while their little brat is letting out a nerve-shattering, ear-piercing scream. there is NO EXCUSE for this!! when did this stuff start?? even 10 or 15 years ago, i don't remember it being acceptable for kids to be this bratty & out of control in public... it seemed that parents still made an effort to teach their kids manners.
I agree 100%. All it took was one look from daddy or the evil eye from mom -years back, and the kids in our household knew to obey quickly. Today, many young parents seem to not remember that parents just had to look in their direction, (a method taught by their parents, brought down through the generations!!:) ) and that would do the trick.

We must start to teach our children good manners very young, adding respect for their elders as number one on the list.

QUOTE: "I am paying the same price so that I can have a relaxing dinner, but because there are lazy parents out there, my dinner has to be stressful and tense," she says. "How fair is that?"

SO True!

Happy Holidays

Gozgals:angel:

(Ducking before I say this) But on the other hand, when we do try to discipline our kids, whether it be taking them outside to do it or whatever..we have to worry about some nosy freak calling the police on us for "being too harsh".Back when we were kids our parents didn't have that stigma hanging over their heads, or maybe they just did what had to be done.Anyway...sorry :eek:

reb said:

as for the article, the guy even said what he had to say NICELY-- he never said "NO KIDS"--- and there are idiots out there who still have the nerve to be angry at him for it!! it's HIS PLACE for crying out loud!

I've got your back darlin. I give them the death stare and its completely ineffective! LOL I'm not used to that at all. :rolleyes:

MsPooh said:
(Ducking before I say this) But on the other hand, when we do try to discipline our kids, whether it be taking them outside to do it or whatever..we have to worry about some nosy freak calling the police on us for "being too harsh".Back when we were kids our parents didn't have that stigma hanging over their heads, or maybe they just did what had to be done.Anyway...sorry :eek:

Just don't hit or scream and you'll be fine. :truce: :truce: :truce: :truce:

Jeana (DP) said:
Just don't hit or scream and you'll be fine. :truce: :truce: :truce: :truce:
LOL gotcha! Not that I am a harsh disciplinarian, actually I am quite the pushover in most situations...but my kiddos pretty much know when enough is enough.;)

MsPooh said:
LOL gotcha! Not that I am a harsh disciplinarian, actually I am quite the pushover in most situations...but my kiddos pretty much know when enough is enough.;)

HaHaHa Ain't that the truth! LOL I was in a Target store the other night and this couple was just screaming at their kid. The kid wasn't doing anything wrong, just didn't want to be in there. Since I didn't want to be in there either, I could relate! :D There was a mom and a dad, so I'm not sure why they BOTH had to be in there looking at kitchen towels, but I do feel sorry for the kid. SO, of course, I had to open my big mouth. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

MsPooh said:
I've heard that worry from a lot of parents - but it seems to be an urban legend - has anyone ever heard of a real case where CPS was called out for someone disciplining their kids (spankings) in public? I've seen it happen when it was something out of control - full swing slapping in the face over and over again, but not for normal discipline.

I can understand the worry, but I think it's one of those false worries. Once in a long while some idiot CPS goes overboard, but I think your odds are about the same as being hit by lightning.

Details said:
I've heard that worry from a lot of parents - but it seems to be an urban legend - has anyone ever heard of a real case where CPS was called out for someone disciplining their kids (spankings) in public? I've seen it happen when it was something out of control - full swing slapping in the face over and over again, but not for normal discipline.

I can understand the worry, but I think it's one of those false worries. Once in a long while some idiot CPS goes overboard, but I think your odds are about the same as being hit by lightning.
YES! It happened to my sister. She was not abusing her child at all. He was sick and wailing. We were trying to pick up his medicine. After the cops finally got there....he told the who call them there in the first place to mind her own business, and to go home and give HER kid a bath! God, we loved it. :woohoo: :woohoo:

That's pretty much what I'd expect - even if there is some loonie who calls CPS or whatever - they're not going to bother with a frivilous complaint. My husband had CPS called on them because his daughter loved to scream when she was a baby. They came out, looked around (and hubby and his then wife were dirt poor), said everything was fine, and left.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back