Identified! NY - Fishkill, Dutchess Co, WhtFem 20-30, UP8374, dismembered body in travel trunk, Mar'80 Anne L. Papalardo-Blake

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
NamUs UP 8374

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/8374

Unidentified Body/Remains (White Female)

Found March 20, 1980 in Dutchess County, NY
Body Condition:
Not recognizable - Partial remains with soft tissues
Probable year of death: 1980
Estimated postmortem interval: 2 Days

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 20-30
(Adult - Pre 30)
Approximate Height: 64 estimate
Approximate Weight: 135 estimate
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks:
The head and hands were amputated and not recovered with the body.

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing: nothing

Jewerly: nothing
Footwear: nothing
Accessories:
Body discovered inside a travel trunk described as follows: Green with black trim and blue lining. 21"wide, 37"long, and 14"deep with brass fittings. various stickers on the outside indicate the trunk travelled from NYC to France in 1958 and returned to NYC in 1960. Original ownership has been verified as June Leaf.

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
Dentals: Dental information / charting is available
DNA:
Sample submitted-tests complete

Case History:
On 03/20/80 the headless, handless, nude body of a white female was discovered in a travel trunk near a dumpster at the Hudson View Apartments in Fishkill NY. The trunk had been left at that location between 12 noon and 10:00pm on 03/18/80. The female is in her approx mid twenties, 5'6", weighing approx 135 lbs, dark brown hair, foot size aprox 41/2 to 5, bra size 34C.

I came across a little more information on this jane doe..
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1532614714614.71845.1212153052&type=3&theater

"Body discovered inside a travel trunk described as follows: Green with black trim and blue lining. 21"wide, 37"long, and 14"deep with brass fittings. various stickers on the outside indicate the trunk travelled from NYC to France in 1958 and returned to NYC in 1960. Original ownership has been verified as June Leaf.

According to the link above someone is speculating the Head found in the Botanical Gardens in the Cement bucket could be associated with this headless and handless body...I find it a bit interesting I wonder if LE has tried to match them also?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/574138652468915616/31cdbe625ee2c22a0121a9742b99a53f--bronx-boulevard[1].jpg

Uhm Facebook page of this Jane Doe cites estimated date of death 1900-1960, but Namus cited 1980, is a strange discrepancy.

Uhm Facebook page of this Jane Doe cites estimated date of death 1900-1960, but Namus cited 1980, is a strange discrepancy.

oh your right! so was this doe found in 1960 ad 1980 was a typo or is 1980 the correct year.. June Leaf is an Artist that lived in NY i wonder if the trunk was hers..

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/04/magazine/where-have-you-gone-robert-frank.html?pagewanted=all

https://sensitiveskinmagazine.com/a-visit-with-june-leaf-and-robert-frank-erik-la-prade/

https://www.edwardthorpgallery.com/june-leaf/

I came across a little more information on this jane doe..
Peter Henderson Jr.
(...)
According to the link above someone is speculating the Head found in the Botanical Gardens in the Cement bucket could be associated with this headless and handless body...I find it a bit interesting I wonder if LE has tried to match them also?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/574138652468915616/View attachment 125493
Well, according to post #1, one of Dutchess Doe's identifiers are
Dentals: Dental information / charting is available
So if this head didn't match up, at least another did?

---------------------------------

Anyway, I found some newspaper clippings from when Jane Doe was found in March 1980:

"Police are seeking assistance in identifying the headless and handless body of a woman found last week in Fishkill, jammed into a steamer trunk that has been traced to Greenwich Village. Police said the body had been virtually drained of blood and that the head and hands apparently were severed to prevent identification. The body was found March 20 at the Hudson View Park apartment complex in Fishkill. police said last night They said they believe the woman was slain two days earlier. The woman was described as about 25 years old, 5-feet-5, weighing 140 pounds and with dark brown hair. "The shoe size is interesting." one state police detective said, "4 to 5. That's small for a woman that size." Police said the nude body was "very clean." The trunk was traced to a Greenwich Village resident, who told police that she had lost track of it in 1960. It bore a shield-shaped travel sticker of the French Line vessel Flandre and had been used in a transatlantic crossing from New York to Le Havre, France, in 1953. It also bore Cunard Line stickers pasted on for the return trip. Police said the trunk is 21 inches wide, 37 inches long and 14 inches deep. It has a blue fabric lining with no design and was in good condition. Police requested anyone with information on the woman or the trunk to call (212) 298-5000 Ext 268 or 212 in New York or (914) 896-6242 or (914) 677-6321 in Westchester. All information will be kept confidential. It was the second case involving headless, handless bodies in the New York metropolitan area in the past four months. The torsos of two women were . found last December in a Times Square motel. One was later identified as a Trenton, N.J., woman with a police record as a prostitute."
fishkill jane doe - Newspapers.com

"State police concentrated on an old steamer trunk Friday in hopes of finding clues Into the bizarre murder of a woman whose headless body was found Thursday Inside the trunk at an apartment complex here. The nude body, which was also missing both hands, was discovered by two maintenance workers at the Hudson View Park apartments off Route 9D. The woman was described as being In her mid - 20s, about S - foot - S and 135 pounds but but without the head or hands, police have been stymied In their attempts to identify her. Police said the body has no birthmarks or other unusual markings which would help them determine the dead woman's identity But Senior Investigator Roger Fairchiled of the state police Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Fishkill, said he hoped that police could learn more about the trunk in which the body was found. If police can confirm where the trunk was purchased or where it has been recently, he explained, it will help them narrow the scope of their investigation of the murder. The trunk bears stickers of the Cunard and Flandre steamship lines, as well as another sticker which is difficult to read. The trunk is dark green with brass fixtures, black vinyl edging and black leather handles. Meanwhile, police are currently checking hundreds of missing persons reports "up and down the eastern seaboard," Falrchild said."

"The headless nude body of a young woman was found crammed into a steamer trunk at an apartment complex here Thursday and state police investiga tors said today they still don t know who she is or why she was murdered The body which was also missing both hands was discovered at 1 30 p m by a maintenance worker at the Hudson View , apartment complex off Route 9D accord ing to Senior Investigator Roger Fair - child The victim was described as a while female between 21 and 25 years old about 5 feet 5 inches tall and about 135 pounds Police said her shoe size was 41 2 or 5 she wore size 12 or 14 clothes, had a 26 - inch waist, wore a size 34B bra, and had type O negative blood Hundreds of missing person reports from throughout the eastern seaboard were ,being checked by authorities today to see how many match the description "We're running them all down," Fair - child said, "but we don't have anything definite yet " Police also were trying to trace the steamer trunk The time of death was established as sometime on Tuesday, and authorities said a sharp instrument was used to sever the head and hands The cuts were done carefully, police said, but not surgically."

"The body was examined at the scene by Dutchess County Medical Examiner Dr John Supple and was removed to Vassar Hospital in Poughkeepsie Dr Francis McMahon performed an autopsy on Thursday evening. Fairchild said but the cause of death was not immediately clear As soon as arrangements were made to transport the body to the hospital for the autopsy investiga tors and troopers at the scene combed the woods near the apartment complex in a fruitless search for the woman s head and hands Without the head or hands, identifi cation of a body is difficult because police cannot rely on dental charts or fingerprints Fairchild said today that the inves tigation has not revealed whether the woman was killed somewhere else and transported here or whether the murder was committed nearby He said bodies of people who have been murdered in New York City or New Jersey have sometimes been found dumped in fields or along roads in the Hudson Valley But others at the scene questioned why someone transporting a body from another area would have cho sen to drive into a parking lot of an apartment complex to dump the trunk "If it's just a question of dumping a body " one investigator at the scene reasoned, 'why not just dump it in the (Hudson) river just down the road'' ' Fairchild said investigators planned to question everyone in the 506 unit apartment complex to find out if anyone saw or heard the steamer trunk being dumped Maintenance workers were picking up trash near a large recepticle for garbage in the parking lot of one of the buildings when they spotted the large, dark green steamer trunk, Fairchild said When one of the workers tried to move the trunk and discovered that it was heavy, the maintenance man then opened it and found the body "We were on our rounds when we saw the box,' said Thomas Newman one of the workers He said there was blood on the out side of the trunk, and it appeared the trunk had been previously tampered with, because there was tape around the seams, and some of the tape had been pulled off "Someone else had been there before us," he said, adding the trunk was not there when he and Stanley 0 Dell, the other maintenance worker, made their rounds on Tuesday Newman said he had nightmares Thursday "I woke up in the middle of the njght and I saw the white thing with no head." he said Fairchild asked that anyone with any information about the murder or the young woman's identity contact state police at Fishkil! at 896 - 6242 All information received will remain confidential and anonymous tips are encouraged, Fairchild said Maj Joseph Leary, commander of Troop K, was in charge of Thursday s investigatigation."

There were several female UIDs found in southern New York during the 70s - early 80s time frame. They were decapitated and their hands were also missing, like Greenwood Lake Jane Doe.

Well, according to post #1, one of Dutchess Doe's identifiers are
So if this head didn't match up, at least another did?

---------------------------------

Anyway, I found some newspaper clippings from when Jane Doe was found in March 1980:

"Police are seeking assistance in identifying the headless and handless body of a woman found last week in Fishkill, jammed into a steamer trunk that has been traced to Greenwich Village. Police said the body had been virtually drained of blood and that the head and hands apparently were severed to prevent identification. The body was found March 20 at the Hudson View Park apartment complex in Fishkill. police said last night They said they believe the woman was slain two days earlier. The woman was described as about 25 years old, 5-feet-5, weighing 140 pounds and with dark brown hair. "The shoe size is interesting." one state police detective said, "4 to 5. That's small for a woman that size." Police said the nude body was "very clean." The trunk was traced to a Greenwich Village resident, who told police that she had lost track of it in 1960. It bore a shield-shaped travel sticker of the French Line vessel Flandre and had been used in a transatlantic crossing from New York to Le Havre, France, in 1953. It also bore Cunard Line stickers pasted on for the return trip. Police said the trunk is 21 inches wide, 37 inches long and 14 inches deep. It has a blue fabric lining with no design and was in good condition. Police requested anyone with information on the woman or the trunk to call (212) 298-5000 Ext 268 or 212 in New York or (914) 896-6242 or (914) 677-6321 in Westchester. All information will be kept confidential. It was the second case involving headless, handless bodies in the New York metropolitan area in the past four months. The torsos of two women were . found last December in a Times Square motel. One was later identified as a Trenton, N.J., woman with a police record as a prostitute."

"State police concentrated on an old steamer trunk Friday in hopes of finding clues Into the bizarre murder of a woman whose headless body was found Thursday Inside the trunk at an apartment complex here. The nude body, which was also missing both hands, was discovered by two maintenance workers at the Hudson View Park apartments off Route 9D. The woman was described as being In her mid - 20s, about S - foot - S and 135 pounds but but without the head or hands, police have been stymied In their attempts to identify her. Police said the body has no birthmarks or other unusual markings which would help them determine the dead woman's identity But Senior Investigator Roger Fairchiled of the state police Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Fishkill, said he hoped that police could learn more about the trunk in which the body was found. If police can confirm where the trunk was purchased or where it has been recently, he explained, it will help them narrow the scope of their investigation of the murder. The trunk bears stickers of the Cunard and Flandre steamship lines, as well as another sticker which is difficult to read. The trunk is dark green with brass fixtures, black vinyl edging and black leather handles. Meanwhile, police are currently checking hundreds of missing persons reports "up and down the eastern seaboard," Falrchild said."

"The headless nude body of a young woman was found crammed into a steamer trunk at an apartment complex here Thursday and state police investiga tors said today they still don t know who she is or why she was murdered The body which was also missing both hands was discovered at 1 30 p m by a maintenance worker at the Hudson View , apartment complex off Route 9D accord ing to Senior Investigator Roger Fair - child The victim was described as a while female between 21 and 25 years old about 5 feet 5 inches tall and about 135 pounds Police said her shoe size was 41 2 or 5 she wore size 12 or 14 clothes, had a 26 - inch waist, wore a size 34B bra, and had type O negative blood Hundreds of missing person reports from throughout the eastern seaboard were ,being checked by authorities today to see how many match the description "We're running them all down," Fair - child said, "but we don't have anything definite yet " Police also were trying to trace the steamer trunk The time of death was established as sometime on Tuesday, and authorities said a sharp instrument was used to sever the head and hands The cuts were done carefully, police said, but not surgically."

"The body was examined at the scene by Dutchess County Medical Examiner Dr John Supple and was removed to Vassar Hospital in Poughkeepsie Dr Francis McMahon performed an autopsy on Thursday evening. Fairchild said but the cause of death was not immediately clear As soon as arrangements were made to transport the body to the hospital for the autopsy investiga tors and troopers at the scene combed the woods near the apartment complex in a fruitless search for the woman s head and hands Without the head or hands, identifi cation of a body is difficult because police cannot rely on dental charts or fingerprints Fairchild said today that the inves tigation has not revealed whether the woman was killed somewhere else and transported here or whether the murder was committed nearby He said bodies of people who have been murdered in New York City or New Jersey have sometimes been found dumped in fields or along roads in the Hudson Valley But others at the scene questioned why someone transporting a body from another area would have cho sen to drive into a parking lot of an apartment complex to dump the trunk "If it's just a question of dumping a body " one investigator at the scene reasoned, 'why not just dump it in the (Hudson) river just down the road'' ' Fairchild said investigators planned to question everyone in the 506 unit apartment complex to find out if anyone saw or heard the steamer trunk being dumped Maintenance workers were picking up trash near a large recepticle for garbage in the parking lot of one of the buildings when they spotted the large, dark green steamer trunk, Fairchild said When one of the workers tried to move the trunk and discovered that it was heavy, the maintenance man then opened it and found the body "We were on our rounds when we saw the box,' said Thomas Newman one of the workers He said there was blood on the out side of the trunk, and it appeared the trunk had been previously tampered with, because there was tape around the seams, and some of the tape had been pulled off "Someone else had been there before us," he said, adding the trunk was not there when he and Stanley 0 Dell, the other maintenance worker, made their rounds on Tuesday Newman said he had nightmares Thursday "I woke up in the middle of the njght and I saw the white thing with no head." he said Fairchild asked that anyone with any information about the murder or the young woman's identity contact state police at Fishkil! at 896 - 6242 All information received will remain confidential and anonymous tips are encouraged, Fairchild said Maj Joseph Leary, commander of Troop K, was in charge of Thursday s investigatigation."

There were several female UIDs found in southern New York during the 70s - early 80s time frame. They were decapitated and their hands were also missing, like Greenwood Lake Jane Doe.

Oh Wait I just came back to this.. so she has Dentals? But no HEAD ??? I wonder if they found a head that matched and if so where they matched it?... or if it's just a typo???
Thanks for posting all these articles they are great!

AND omg I think you are on to something here Mrs. Badcrumble with these decapitated handless women.. I wonder if greenwood and this dutchess women are connected? How did I miss this???.. I wonder how far are they from each other?

Oh Wait I just came back to this.. so she has Dentals? But no HEAD ??? I wonder if they found a head that matched and if so where they matched it?... or if it's just a typo???
Thanks for posting all these articles they are great!

AND omg I think you are on to something here Mrs. Badcrumble with these decapitated handless women.. I wonder if greenwood and this dutchess women are connected? How did I miss this???.. I wonder how far are they from each other?
I am no doctor, but I do know anatomy enough to know that it is hard to get dentals without a head.

Dry, Nordic humour aside; I looked up Fishkill and Greenwood Lake on Google Maps and plotted in the distance, and they are much closer than you'd like to think... :eek:

I didn't find GL Jane Doe's WS thread, btw. Does she has one?

Attachments

• GreenwoodLake_Fishkill.JPG
    GreenwoodLake_Fishkill.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 19
I am no doctor, but I do know anatomy enough to know that it is hard to get dentals without a head.

Dry, Nordic humour aside; I looked up Fishkill and Greenwood Lake on Google Maps and plotted in the distance, and they are much closer than you'd like to think... :eek:

Ok you TOTALLY have me rolling here:D

I am totally feeling that they are connected especially after your map. Super Great find on the on the headless Greenwood lady!! I wish we knew more like if she was inside a trunk or something. I just looked and could not find a thread on her either. Maybe you can start one for her.. after all you did find her!!

I got in touch with Troop G upstate New York, and submitted the following today,

I came across a possible match for Jeanne Scrima in UIDs, both have DNA in system, neither have been excluded to date.

More IMPORTANT details here regarding disappearance. Jeanne Marie Scrima – The Charley Project

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The unidentified:

The age is a little off however I have seen ages off as much as 20 years when people were identified especially in the 80’s.

The trunk the UID was found in belonged to June Leaf (artist that lived in Washington Heights, upper Manhattan close to the Bronx).

Trunk Connection

Jeanne Scrima was working as a waitress in the Bronx when she met her husband, she could have picked up the trunk at a second hand shop or else where during those years. She also could have used it on her trip to Erie, PA. and perhaps if her husband was responsible used it for her body, she was cheating on him with John Sidney from Schenectady, NY and she met him in Erie, PA for a rondezvous and her husband found out about it while she was away.

Missing: March 19, 1980 (husband never reported her missing days could be off)
UID Found: March 20, 1980

Lived in: Knox, NY (Western Albany)
Found in: Fishkill, NY

Last edited:
I got in touch with Troop G upstate New York, and submitted the following today,

I came across a possible match for Jeanne Scrima in UIDs, both have DNA in system, neither have been excluded to date.

More IMPORTANT details here regarding disappearance. Jeanne Marie Scrima – The Charley Project

The unidentified:

The age is a little off however I have seen ages off as much as 20 years when people were identified especially in the 80’s.

The trunk the UID was found in belonged to June Leaf (artist that lived in Washington Heights, upper Manhattan close to the Bronx).

Trunk Connection

Jeanne Scrima was working as a waitress in the Bronx when she met her husband, she could have picked up the trunk at a second hand shop or else where during those years. She also could have used it on her trip to Erie, PA. and perhaps if her husband was responsible used it for her body.

Missing: March 19, 1980 (husband never reported her missing days could be off)
UID Found: March 20, 1980

Lived in: Knox, NY (Western Albany)
Found in: Fishkill, NY

Oh wow Good call on Jeanne, sounds great houndpounder!
Or she could of picked up the trunk in the street. So many people throw stuff out in the city and other people takeit home. I cannot Tell you the countless things I have dragged home through the years!
It would be interesting to know if Jean threw the trunk out or gave it away to someone ...imagine that you throw away a trunk and it's used in a murder and forever your name is tied to that murder:eek:

I also live in NYC, as you do Madam X (you mentioned it in the past) there is plenty to be had in the garbage finds I know someone lifted the top of a can and there was a Cartier watch on top (probably just robbed from someone) lol

June Leaf said she just lost track of the trunk over the years and didn't really know what became of it.

Thank you @houndpounder! Worst case scenario is a ruleout of Jeanne being Dutchess Doe ;)

it away to someone ...imagine that you throw away a trunk and it's used in a murder and forever your name is tied to that murder
In the first newspaper clipping in post #5, it says:

"The trunk was traced to a Greenwich Village resident, who told police that she had lost track of it in 1960."

In the 1960's June Leaf was living with her first husband in Washington Heights, NYC (northern Manhattan) border line of Bronx, 5 mile distance. Jeanne Scrima was working in the Bronx before she was married. By Feb 1980 their married was falling apart and 4 children later. That would place her in the Bronx in the 60's, when she was in her early 20's.

Wait so was Jean in The Village or Washington Heights?

Ok I just realized they are both named have the same name just spelled differently.. that is interesting. Could be why Jeanne picked up the trunk because it had a version of her name! That is if in fact that is Jeanne in Jeans trunk.

Thank you @houndpounder! Worst case scenario is a ruleout of Jeanne being Dutchess Doe ;)

In the first newspaper clipping in post #5, it says:

"The trunk was traced to a Greenwich Village resident, who told police that she had lost track of it in 1960."
Ok ok hehehe apparently I can't read! Ha... thank you.... lost track of it.. I gues she just could not remember.

JUNE Leaf was the owner of the trunk she lived in Washington Heights with her first husband which would have been in the 60's. She remarried and eventually moved to Greenwich Village with her second husband Frank. Jeanne Scrima was single in the 60's working in the Bronx at a restaurant. 5 miles from Washington Heights.

JUNE Leaf was the owner of the trunk she lived in Washington Heights with her first husband which would have been in the 60's. She remarried and eventually moved to Greenwich Village with her second husband Frank. Jeanne Scrima was single in the 60's working in the Bronx at a restaurant. 5 miles from Washington Heights.
Ok geeeeze I def can't read!:confused:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back