AL AL - Mary Hunter, 34, Juanita Acker, 41, & Joyce Drake, 20, northern AL, 1967-1970

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

whokilledthesewomen

Reaction score
A newspaper article in the Decatur Daily (AL) was published on October 2, 2011, reinvigorating community interest in the murders of three North Alabama women between 1967 and 1970. I had never heard of the cases before but I've been fascinated ever since; in fact, I still have my copy of the newspaper folded up somewhere. I'm not much of an amateur sleuth and this is my first post here, but I would love to draw wider attention to these women's cases in hopes of shedding some new light on the evidence.

The article vaguely implies that there may be some connection between the three murders but community members seemed to suspect different people in each crime, so I'm going to treat the incidents separately for the purpose of this write-up.

MARY FAYE HUNTER was thirty-four years old when she disappeared on May 6, 1967, according to the Daily article. She was last seen at a grocery store in Decatur around noon following a hair appointment. Her parents reported her missing just over an hour later when she failed to return home.

Ms. Hunter's skeletal remains were found in a creek outside of town five months later. Alvin Benn, an Alabama reporter who has worked for several newspapers throughout the state, wrote in his memoirs that a coroner's inquest determined that she had been raped, although since her remains were so degraded he could not understand how this was established.

In terms of suspects in this case, I could not find a lot of specifics here that were publicly available. Apparently an independent film was produced in 2016, "Beyond the River Bridge," that implies that there was some kind of conspiracy and cover-up, but I have no idea how to view this film. On a public Facebook group called "Growing Up In Decatur Alabama," one user states that the investigation was called off because the primary suspect died shortly after the murder.

JUANITA ACKER, 41, was shot twice in the face at close range with a 0.22-caliber pistol on May 23, 1969. Her body was found the next day by her daughter and her daughter's fiance at the motel where the family was living temporarily after a house fire. The hotel room did not appear to have been burglarized. Like Ms. Hunter, Ms. Acker worked at Redstone Arsenal, a military installation in Huntsville with ties to the U.S. missile defense and aerospace programs.

I found literally no information on Ms. Acker's case outside of the Daily article -- the only information I could find about her on the Internet was a Find A Grave. The article states that a suspect was questioned and passed a polygraph. A former investigator on the case believes that Ms. Acker may have had information on Ms. Hunter's murder and was silenced.

JOYCE DRAKE, 20, suffered the most violent slaying on January 7, 1970. She left her parent's Falkville store around 10:30 A.M., driving a truck to the local bank with about $400 in cash to deposit for her father. A witness saw Ms. Drake drive past the store a little later with a red-headed man in the passenger seat. The truck was later found abandoned and, after a search, Ms. Drake's mutilated body was found in the snow on the side of the road ten miles away.

Sources state that Ms. Drake was clutching red hairs in her hands and that she had skin under her fingernails, indicating a struggle. The $400 was also stolen. Today, despite a $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest, Ms. Drake's murderer has not been caught. Forum posts on Topix suggest that Ms. Drake had family members that may have fit the description of her companion in the truck and that acted suspicious after the murder.

That's about all I have, but please let me know any theories or information you may want to share! I'll be happy to try and answer any questions you have.

Link to the archived Daily article here:http://www.decaturdaily.com/news/lo...cle_20e63a71-2ca3-5c2a-9530-9b0d32d652c9.html

Alvin Benn's memoirs: https://books.google.com/books?id=6...v=onepage&q="mary faye hunter" murder&f=false

IMDB entry for "Beyond the River Bridge":http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307440/combined

Local news report on Joyce Drake case: [video=youtube;t0rNsVzZFT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0rNsVzZFT8[/video]

Topix thread about the Joyce Drake case:http://www.topix.com/forum/city/falkville-al/T8T26URG3V21EP5KB

52 years later, family of murdered Decatur woman still searching for answers

8 October 2019
DECATUR, Ala. — Mary Faye Hunter’s disappearance made headlines 50 years ago. While much has changed in Decatur, the mystery still lingers decades later.

Who killed Mary Faye Hunter and left her near the Tennessee River?

She appeared in a home movie that was shot a week before she disappeared in 1967. It’s fuzzy, mysterious and haunting.

As time passes, official details on the investigation into her murder are too.

Although he never met her, the home movie is a vivid reminder to Mary Faye’s nephew, James, that her murder remains unsolved.

“How does a woman just vanish out of thin air in midday without anyone seeing anything?” James Hunter said.

James lives 2,200 miles away in California. As Mary Faye’s next of kin, he wants answers about where his aunt’s case stands with law enforcement.

Brad Golson, Hunter’s distant cousin, has been looking into the case for two years. He created a timeline by talking to witnesses and former investigators.

On May 6, 1967, Mary Faye left her parents’ home on 8th Avenue in southeast Decatur. She went to A Place of Beauty to get her hair done, and Golson said according to her hairstylist, everything was normal. The 34-year-old Redstone Arsenal receptionist left her weekly hair appointment and went to a grocery store.

“Witnesses verify that she was at the A&P,” Golson said. “She bought instant potatoes, and she left.”

That’s the last time Golson can pinpoint that she was seen alive.

“We’re talking like only 30 minutes that she was late, and her parents are already contacting authorities because it was so unlike her,” he said.

Five months later, on Oct. 14, 1967, two young girls found Hunter’s remains near Flint Creek. No one was ever arrested for her murder. No suspects were ever publicly identified.

“It’s really sort of heartbreaking,” said her nephew.

Fast forward to today. The case remains unsolved. It’s not clear where the case files are, if they still even exist 52 years later. And what’s more, it’s a mystery as to who is responsible for investigating Mary Faye’s death. Decatur police say it’s a state case, and state investigators say it’s Decatur PD’s.

According to the Decatur Daily newspaper reports around the time of her death, investigators told a coroner’s jury that Hunter had been sexually molested or assaulted. Decades later, her autopsy report does still exist. But both James Hunter and Golson say getting hands on it has been a challenge.

The man who can approve the release of those files is Morgan County District Attorney Scott Anderson, who was 2 years old when the murder happened. He said he remembers the case being the talk of the town while he was growing up.

“The theories, the rumors that were going around about who did it, who may have done it — and they are still going around today,” Anderson said.

Anderson has jurisdiction to prosecute Mary Faye’s case, and he said his office has a file on it.

“It’s technically under investigation,” he said. “Now I’m not saying there’s an active investigation going on. There’s not.”

But Anderson admits over time, police files have disappeared.

“Evidence that had been collected sometimes goes missing just because agencies change evidence rooms or change buildings, and things have to get transferred,” he said. “A lot of times those things get lost in the transfer.”

Lost or destroyed files are problematic for prosecutors in cases like Mary Faye’s.

“To some extent, it compromises us because we don’t have it,” Anderson said. “And sometimes it can be used by the defense to say ‘what about this piece of evidence? What would it have proved? Would it prove my client’s innocence?'”

Anderson says he doesn’t think it’s likely Mary Faye Hunter’s case will be prosecuted, but he won’t release the autopsy report. He said it could still be a way to verify the truth if someone does step forward to confess to her murder.

“If I knew that we would never solve it, I would turn it over,” he said.

But James Hunter and Brad Golson don’t buy it. They believe the case is already compromised, and releasing the autopsy won’t impact it.

“What is in there that we’re not supposed to see?” Golson said.

Prosecutors say it’s a formal piece of evidence in a case that’s unlikely to be solved. Anderson says the only way to close the case is to prosecute it. But James wants a resolution in the mystery that’s more than half a century old.

“I want the case closed,” he said. “I want it formally solved. I want my aunt to finally rest in peace.”

Hunter’s family recently requested that the autopsy report be released and also offered Anderson evidence that they believe is crucial in the case.

A book was recently published about Mary Faye’s murder, and her nephew is working on a film profiling her case...

LINK:
52 years later, family of murdered Decatur woman still searching for answers | WHNT.com

51e084926bb08.image.jpg

Joyce Drake, left, and Mary Faye Hunter were among three Morgan county women killed between 1967 and 1970.

LINK:
Who killed these women?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adeleandkev