Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 1391UMCA
http://doenetwork.org/cases/1391umca.html
9aea85c9-6602-42b3-b817-30966142336d.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim by Carl Koppelman

WARNING: POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...em Photos/2169952440045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Unidentified Black Male

* The victim was discovered on February 9, 1968 in Los Angeles County, California

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: Over 18 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 6'3"; 156 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes.
* Clothing: Brown belt, avocado green sweater, two tone green turtleneck shirt, blue pants, olive green socks, grey high top shoes, white boxer shorts.

Case History
The victim was located on February 9, 1968, at approximately 05.13, at the rear of 3870 South Normandie Avenue in L.A.
He was the victim of a gunshot.

This morning, I drove over to the Trinity Baptist Church near the corner of Jefferson and Arlington in South Central LA., and asked to speak with the Minister of the Church. He wasn't there, but several other church officials were in the office upstairs.

I brought with me a large 8.5 x 11 color print-out of the boy (above), and another facial reconstruction of a UID young woman (below) who also died in 1968.

652be0dc-e298-479e-bbd9-44fdb17956b0.jpg

http://doenetwork.org/cases/729ufca.html
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?111287

The postmortem photos were printed on the reverse side of the pages. I also brought DoeNetwork printouts of both cases, and a google earth map of the locations where their bodies were found.

I asked the church elders if it was possible to show these images to any persons in their parish who have lived in the area since 1968 to see if they might recognize either of these two people. They said that there were plenty of their church members who have lived in the area since the 60's

One of the men indicated that he was not sure how he would go about it, but he said that he might be able to publish the photos in the church bulletin. They reacted very positively to my visit, and one of the men commented "This is very honorable and important work that you do.".

Hopefully, someone will recognize one or both of these people and if there are any family members still living, they can finally know what happened to their loved ones. It is probable that the parents of these two persons are not still alive, but there may be siblings still around.

Carl, I must say that I'm impressed with what you did. Hope someone knows something and an identification can be made.

Poor guy. This case really gets to me because it was two months, almost to the day, before my mother was born.

I really wonder who did this, and who he was. He was remained unidentified for so long.

Hopefully, Carl's segment on Crime Watch Daily (totally awesome!) has reached the right people, and they will come forward.

I just can't get over how young this poor guy looked--he was tall, but he had very youthful features. Could it be he was under 18 but had matured quickly? I ask because lots of guys have growth spurts and quit growing years before--my dad was 6'2 by age 13. Could this John Doe be in the same boat, possibly?

Poor guy. This case really gets to me because it was two months, almost to the day, before my mother was born.

I really wonder who did this, and who he was. He was remained unidentified for so long.

Hopefully, Carl's segment on Crime Watch Daily (totally awesome!) has reached the right people, and they will come forward.

I just can't get over how young this poor guy looked--he was tall, but he had very youthful features. Could it be he was under 18 but had matured quickly? I ask because lots of guys have growth spurts and quit growing years before--my dad was 6'2 by age 13. Could this John Doe be in the same boat, possibly?

My nephew was 6 feet 6 inches by the age of 13. He is now 17, and is about 6 feet 7 inches tall.

My nephew was 6 feet 6 inches by the age of 13. He is now 17, and is about 6 feet 7 inches tall.

That's pretty common, it seems. Could they have mistaken him for being older due to his height? Or did they forensically study his bones? I have no idea how these things work, clearly.

I'd guess his age estimation is based on multiple things, not only height. Maybe he had fully developed wisdom teeth, or certain fillings etc. in his teeth that were used in a certain phase, or maybe his bones and/or joints show distinctive signs of heavy labor or long-term sports background. 13-15 years old kid can be tall, surely, but building up a mature frame takes longer than just the time needed for bones getting taller.

UP#16394

DEMOGRAPHICS
Race: Black
Height: 6'3
Weight: 156 pounds
Postmortem Interval: 1 minute

CIRCUMSTANCES
Date: February 9, 1968
Address: 3870 S. Normandie Ave
Circumstances: The victim was surprised by two police officers while trying to break into a cleaning shop in Los Angeles, CA. He hid hid in a trash can, and when they ordered him to get out, he jumped out and ran away. One officer fired at him as he was climbing over a fence, and the second quickly followed suit. He was killed at the scene.

PHYSICAL/MEDICAL
Hair: Black (short and curly)
Eyes: Brown

CLOTHING/ACCESSORIES
Knitted two-tone green turtleneck; slipover avocado-green sweater, navy blue serge pants, light brown belt, olive green acetate socks
Reverse high-top soled shoes (not sneakers)

IDENTIFIERS
Fingerprints: Available and entered
Dentals: Available, not yet entered
DNA: Unavailable

UP#16394

DEMOGRAPHICS
Race: Black
Height: 6'3
Weight: 156 pounds
Postmortem Interval: 1 minute

CIRCUMSTANCES
Date: February 9, 1968
Address: 3870 S. Normandie Ave
Circumstances: The victim was surprised by two police officers while trying to break into a cleaning shop in Los Angeles, CA. He hid hid in a trash can, and when they ordered him to get out, he jumped out and ran away. One officer fired at him as he was climbing over a fence, and the second quickly followed suit. He was killed at the scene.

PHYSICAL/MEDICAL
Hair: Black (short and curly)
Eyes: Brown

CLOTHING/ACCESSORIES
Knitted two-tone green turtleneck; slipover avocado-green sweater, navy blue serge pants, light brown belt, olive green acetate socks
Reverse high-top soled shoes (not sneakers)

IDENTIFIERS
Fingerprints: Available and entered
Dentals: Available, not yet entered
DNA: Unavailable

Interesting. They finally created a Namus casefile for this guy.

9aea85c9-6602-42b3-b817-30966142336d.jpg

We already had a thread for him. I merged the threads.

The DoeNetwork and LA Coroner casefiles never mentioned that he was shot by police. They only said he was shot.

Found deceased 50 years ago today. May he Rest In Peace, hopefully he will get his name back soon.

This morning, I drove over to the Trinity Baptist Church near the corner of Jefferson and Arlington in South Central LA., and asked to speak with the Minister of the Church. He wasn't there, but several other church officials were in the office upstairs.

I brought with me a large 8.5 x 11 color print-out of the boy (above), and another facial reconstruction of a UID young woman (below) who also died in 1968.

652be0dc-e298-479e-bbd9-44fdb17956b0.jpg

729UFCA
Websleuths

The postmortem photos were printed on the reverse side of the pages. I also brought DoeNetwork printouts of both cases, and a google earth map of the locations where their bodies were found.

I asked the church elders if it was possible to show these images to any persons in their parish who have lived in the area since 1968 to see if they might recognize either of these two people. They said that there were plenty of their church members who have lived in the area since the 60's

One of the men indicated that he was not sure how he would go about it, but he said that he might be able to publish the photos in the church bulletin. They reacted very positively to my visit, and one of the men commented "This is very honorable and important work that you do.".

Hopefully, someone will recognize one or both of these people and if there are any family members still living, they can finally know what happened to their loved ones. It is probable that the parents of these two persons are not still alive, but there may be siblings still around.
I AM ALWAYS IN AWE OF YOU CARL-fyi

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back