CA CA - Los Angeles, Unksex&race UP4227, 11-14, maxilla found only, Jul'84

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
NamUs UP 4227

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/4227

Unidentified Body/Remains (Unknown Sex & Race)

Found July 13, 1984 in Los Angeles County, CA
Body Condition: Not recognizable - partial remains with soft tissues
Probable year of death: 1984 to 1984

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 11-14
Approximate Height: cannot estimate
Approximate Weight: cannot estimate
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks: nothing

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing: nothing
Jewerly: nothing
Footwear: nothing
Accessories: nothing

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
Dentals: Dental information / charting is available
DNA: Sample is currently not available

Case History: Maxilla found only, juvenile.

Bumping case up. Someone is probably still out there wondering and waiting for answers about what happened to their child. :(

Does it state where in Los Angeles county the partial face bone was found?

Field, woods, riverbank, mountain.....?

This info would help.

Last edited:
The Maxilla of a child was found in Los Angeles County California in 1984. I strongly believe it could belong to one of the suspected victims of Mack Ray Edwards. (Whether he actually killed them or not, all of the children he confessed to killing were last seen between 20 minutes and an hour and a half of where this body part was found). But I don't know if they have already been considered or not.
Thank you in advance. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The Maxilla of a child was found in Los Angeles County California in 1984. I strongly believe it could belong to one of the suspected victims of Mack Ray Edwards. (Whether he actually killed them or not, all of the children he confessed to killing were last seen between 20 minutes and an hour and a half of where this body part was found). But I don't know if they have already been considered or not.
Thank you in advance. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs).

Bumping up. No rule outs. Hard to get this one an ID cuz it’s just a single bone. Sounds like someone killed them. Sad.

These remains were probably cremated imo. LA County tends to do that, esp back then
Yeah. I agree with you on this. I never understood cremation of unidentified decedents.

They weren't aware of DNA back then. They wouldnt have known they were destroying a means of identification.
That’s true, but what about the case of the LA John Doe Duo from 1992? They don’t have any DNA because they were cremated too. I know DNA technology was rather primitive back then but it was still being used!

Edit: As for this case, it was 1984. I don’t know how DNA had come along back then. Probably wasn’t a thing. There still wouldn’t have been too much hope ID’ing this poor soul.

That’s true, but what about the case of the LA John Doe Duo from 1992? They don’t have any DNA because they were cremated too. I know DNA technology was rather primitive back then but it was still being used!

Edit: As for this case, it was 1984. I don’t know how DNA had come along back then. Probably wasn’t a thing. There still wouldn’t have been too much hope ID’ing this poor soul.
The first time DNA profiling was used in a criminal case was in 1986, yeah, it was primitive. My guess for the LA John Does being cremated in 1992 is that they assumed someone would come forward to identify them sooner or later and DNA probably wouldn't have been how they would've planned to identify them at that point. I'm frustrated with cremation too, I wish it wasn't such a common practice in LA County, but I'm also not sure how else they could handle the unidentified there so I'm not really sure of other options.

The first time DNA profiling was used in a criminal case was in 1986, yeah, it was primitive. My guess for the LA John Does being cremated in 1992 is that they assumed someone would come forward to identify them sooner or later and DNA probably wouldn't have been how they would've planned to identify them at that point. I'm frustrated with cremation too, I wish it wasn't such a common practice in LA County, but I'm also not sure how else they could handle the unidentified there so I'm not really sure of other options.
Yeah, I was thinking burial, but it would fill the cemeteries up too much now that I think about it. It’s difficult to think about.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back