School Officials Propose Ban of Whole Milk

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Cartons of whole milk would be considered junk food, but baked Cheetos would not, under new rules proposed Friday by Illinois education officials.

The State Board of Education proposed the rules after Gov. Rod Blagojevich asked for a junk food ban in elementary and middle schools.

The new rules focus on the nutritional content of foods rather than broad categories of food.

Because of that, the proposed guidelines would allow 1 ounce bags of baked potato chips, even though all chips are now banned under the board's current definition of junk food. Whole milk would also be banned because of its high fat content, school officials said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051210/ap_on_he_me/brf_schools_junk_food_5

But they still have 2% or 1%?

We drink 1% here.. except for Paul, he would drink half & half if I let him.:bang:

Personally, I don't like 1% or 2% and only use it in cooking (I use dry milk for that). Though I was never much of a milk drinker anyway.

My kid drinks plenty of whole milk. But then again he doesn't spend the bulk of his time playing video games or watching tv.

mysteriew said:
Cartons of whole milk would be considered junk food, but baked Cheetos would not, under new rules proposed Friday by Illinois education officials.
INsane! Whatever happened to "everything in moderation?" Whatever happened to parental knowledge? What- just because some losers send their kids to school with Cheetos and Koolaid for lunch: my kids' lunches are to be monitored as well? Feh!

My child's Government education camp is *trying* to enact this form of food policing in advance of the statewide mandate for 2006.

A State Health Manager (kiss the school nurse goodbye!) is in charge of circulating the cafeteria and "notifying" kids who brown-bag it that their lunches aren't quite up to par, even though the alternative "hot lunch" may be many times more blech on the nasty-fatty scale...(oh yes- I've checked, and it ain't pretty!)

Lord help me, but the "Health Manager" herself is an obese woman. I'm talking maybe 5'3" but 250 lbs. As if my child does not know this woman is talking out of her anal orifice??? Please. Said child enjoys homemade California rolls (sushi), Lobster Newburg, beef stew, Reubens, chicken salad, Turkey clubs, and the occasional PB&J for take-along lunch. To have this behemoth stand over my child's shoulder and counsel about the food choices *I* made for my child? Nuh-uh. Sorry, Ms. Piggy.

My child knows to tell Ms. Piggy to step off, if she EVER deigns to counsel upon MY food choices. :) And, my child would probably challenge her to a push-up-a-thon or something like a body-fat test, knowing my child and our family fitness knowledge... :crazy: I'd welcome it, really. This kind of governmental bullying has no place in an education camp, but it's not surprising. They suck up federal funds at an alarming rate these days, so not much surprises me.

Trouble is? The school STILL pushes snacky-unhealthy "food" products in their fundraising efforts. Think that will change? Nah!

Go ahead- ask YOUR goverment education camp about those sickly-sweet "fundraisers" if they ever try this garbage on you. Watch them sputter "but it's for the PTA!" while trying to deflect the answer...

Stupid is as stupid does. Painting themselves into a corner, yet again. They never learn.

I work in the dietary department of a hospital and we just switched to using 2% for the patients instead of whole. Young kids on the pediatric floor and in the daycare that the hospital runs still get whole milk though because it helps with their bone development. They switched because the 2% is healthier then whole milk.

Whole milk is very healthy. I drink it still, after many years drinking it. Healthy? Ok. Question. If I started drinking 2% milk when I was young, eaten healthy all my life....would I live longer? Yes, maybe. I'd still turn grey at or around 50, still be wheelchair bound at some point, but I would live an extra 10 years? What kind of life is that?

If all the nutritionists in the world could promise me my life would be enjoyable until the day I died-maybe I'd eat healthier. I enjoy milk. I also enjoy telling others to stick it when its none of their business.

Bring on the Government.

IMO it has nothing to do with whole milk or Cheetos, it has to do with parents who allow their children to sit and play computer games/Xbox/PS2 constantly. That's JMO, but my kids have "game time" then they must go ride bikes, play outside. Kids have been eating trash for years.......Little Debbie Snacks have been around forever....I use to woof them, but I also was very active and skinny as a rail as a kid. I think it's all so ridiculous......they have all these guidelines but then serve pizza or a loaded baked potato and allow the kids to get two "snacks" with their lunch.....big cookies and ice cream bars. Mine are allowed to only get one snack.......

When I was in school (in the not so distant past) there was no ban on how many snacks you could get. Some kids got a couple their first time around and then went up again when you were allowed to go through the line for a second time. I always packed my lunch so I always had some sort of fruit or a little bag of chips or something for my snack. The parents give their kids the money so they spend it on junk. I heard that now some schools are using a debit card system...parents will put so much in an account for their kid for like a month and then they have to refill it every month. I bet that puts a stop to multiple snacks...

Paradise said:
the daycare that the hospital runs still get whole milk though because it helps with their bone development.
Why is that? I thought they both had the same amount of Calcium.

Ever look at what people are buying at the grocery store when you check out?

Today I just had to pick up a few things and the family in front of me in line were all overweight, Mom, Dad, and 2 kids - the kids were maye 8 & 10 and were very heavy with rolls of fat. The conveyor belt was loaded with chips 4 large bags!, ice cream, frozen dinners, cookies, frozen pizza, frozen waffles, frozen french fries, cans of 'simpson' pasta, bread... I didn't see any fruits or vegetables, everything was processed.

Their bill was over 200.00 so it is not an economy thing, junk food is expensive.

Poor kids will never break out of that cycle of unhealthy eating... I know Noel - she would much rather have junk, it's a struggle to get her eating veggies and fruit when she would much rather pop the lid on a syrupy processed fruit cup. :doh:

My 12 year old son eats to survive, so I don't worry too much about him. He's been bodybuilding with my husband for about a year and plays football, so he knows about nutrition and what he needs to perform.

My 10-year old daughter loves crap! So, I take her with me to the grocery store and we compare labels. We also buy the fat free, sugar free, lite and reduced calorie varities of stuff she likes, so she can taste for herself and knows that they DO actually taste good. She knows that all that sugar will do is simply give her a fat butt, zits and cavities.

Casshew said:
Why is that? I thought they both had the same amount of Calcium.
I'm not totally sure, but one of my supervisors said that whole milk helps with the closing of the "soft spot" on the skull.

There is pending legislation in my state requiring schools to weigh kids and send home a notice of BMI (Body Mass Index). The backer of said legislation thinks parents are not aware of their obese children! :waitasec:

ljwf22 said:
There is pending legislation in my state requiring schools to weigh kids and send home a notice of BMI (Body Mass Index). The backer of said legislation thinks parents are not aware of their obese children! :waitasec:

That would be a waste of time. What matters is how much body fat one has, NOT how much someone weighs. My husband has always been a bodybuilder. Before his recent surgery, he was 250 pounds on a 6'5 frame. On most people, that would make him obese. However, since muscle weighs more than fat, he wasn't overweight in the least.

Obese children, more often than not, have obese parents. They KNOW they're overweight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back