NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy Anna

Reaction score
Amid the flooding, creme egg debacle and other disasters, I thought we needed an upbeat story to follow on here. April is due to give birth at any time now. A few noteworthy points from the article:

• April is 15 - her 4th calf
  • April has never lost a calf nor had a stillborn - odd rumor
  • Oliver is 5 - his 1st calf
  • The calf will weigh around 150 lb and will be about 6' tall at birth.
  • The front hooves will come out first followed by the snout.
  • Mom will naturally raise the calf, with weaning could take between 6-10 months, maybe longer.
  • Giraffes are pregnant for 15 months
  • Those "things" on their heads are called ossicones.

snipped

http://www.wfaa.com/features/all-of-your-april-the-giraffe-questions-answered/414643940

Thread #1

Ooops, I left two posts on first thread before it closed.

It seems darker than usual in the pens right now. Wonder why?

Live stream is offline right now :waitasec: Maybe vet is examining April. When I was watching live stream late this afternoon, I noticed April fidgeting and moving each of her legs. I was sure that I saw movement in her belly area. Saw Oliver lying down for a while. Haven't ever seen April "resting".

Lights normally do not go out until late evening

Vet came in earlier taking video ... She is very restless this evening

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was typing this long crazy boring post when the last thread closed lucky I saved it.

We are told April is pregnant and by all signs she appears so. When she is actually due is anybody's guess. It could be tomorrow or Easter, Mothers Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, or perhaps Christmas. Did anyone catch Oliver and April during the act. :panic:

I will tell when I was due with my last child many years ago, he was due Christmas day. That day came and went and of course all of the people asked when are you going to have that baby. I started telling them at Easter, that became the joke between me and DH. My neighbor and I were both due the same time and on the day before New Years eve we stepped out in the morning to retrieve our morning newspaper. I told her it looks like neither of us are going to get that Tax deduction. She agreed!

The next morning I woke up to my water breaking so off to the hospital we went. After about 3-4 hrs we had our son. The next day DH showed up with a bunny rabbit for my Easter Baby (actually a New Years Eve Baby). My neighbor didn't have hers until January 6.

Moral of the story Babys' come when they are good and ready!

If someone had told me at the end of February that we'd go into a second thread...:laugh:

...and baby watch continues! Love this girl! :heartbeat:

It seems darker than usual in the pens right now. Wonder why?

Maybe they got light overload being outside today. It appears still light outside. I have never seen them turn off the lights inside this early.

It is usually 8 or 9 pm when the lights go out at night. Maybe even 10 pm.

Maybe the zoos light bill got out of control with the live streaming and they are having to conserve.

All I see is a couple of dark head knobs bobbing around in the dark. ��

I think the lights were turned off while the doors to outside were open and maybe Cory forgot to turn them back on when he closed Oliver's door. JMO

Maybe the darkness will make April feel like its baby time.

Ooops, I left two posts on first thread before it closed.

Your question about the text alerts - yes, I just signed up for it. I waited because there seemed to be some kinks in the system at first. My subscription went through fine.

Feel kind of goofy for doing it, but oh well. :D

I saw them turn the lights off when it was still light outside. I don't know the reason. I posted at the end of the last thread when it happened.

Your question about the text alerts - yes, I just signed up for it. I waited because there seemed to be some kinks in the system at first. My subscription went through fine.

Feel kind of goofy for doing it, but oh well. :D

If my cellphone was reliable for working in my bedroom, I would have considered it instead of losing more sleep. However, I'd have to sleep in the recliner or on the sofa in order to hear my cell phone! Ugh!

Did Dr. Tim have a Go Pro in there with him earlier? It was something small, and I saw a screen, but I couldn't figure out what it was....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects