The Doe Network:
Case File 2988DFNH
ESegall.jpg

Eddy Segall

Missing since June 15, 1977 from Hollis, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 28 years old
    [*]Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 118 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown hair; hazel eyes.
  • Clothing: At the time of her disappearance she was wearing blue jeans, a white tank top jersey, rubber shower sandals, and had a brown shoulder type pocketbook.
  • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Eddy Segall, of Nashua, NH was reported missing on June 15, 1977 when she failed to return a borrowed vehicle. She borrowed this vehicle daily to attend an exercise class at Women's World in Merrimack, NH. She never attended her class that day.
The vehicle she borrowed was a 2-door light green, 1969 Oldsmobile. That car was found on July 3, 1977 in the woods off of Wheeler Road in Hollis, NH. The keys were found 150 feet behind the vehicle in the middle of the road.
Prior to moving to New Hampshire, Eddy had lived in Florida. Eddy Segall is still missing.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Hollis Police Department
603-465-7637
Agency Case Number: 09797-0F
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Source Information:
New Hampshire Cold Case Unit
The Cabinet
NamUs MP #9042

Doe Network link case
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2988dfnh.html

I submitted this woman in match section of Doe Network ;) for adult woman of this case

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/799ufnh.html

The face is similar, and for Doe Network the estimated date of death is 1978 to 1985; this woman is still missing from 1977; nobody believes that she may be the unknown woman?[/QUOTE]

Her disappearance may have been the first of several women and girls in that area, the majority of them taking place after 1980. This is discussed more in depth here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?338141-NH-Elizabeth-Lamotte-16-Manchester-6-April-1984&highlight=Elizabeth+Lamotte.

I submitted this woman in match section of Doe Network ;) for adult woman of this case

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/799ufnh.html

The face is similar, and for Doe Network the estimated date of death is 1978 to 1985; this woman is still missing from 1977; nobody believes that she may be the unknown woman?

Her disappearance may have been the first of several women and girls in that area, the majority of them taking place after 1980. This is discussed more in depth here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ster-6-April-1984&highlight=Elizabeth+Lamotte.

Know this case, posted in forum from me! ;) Another interesting case is also this

Denise Daneault

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?332273-NH-Denise-Daneault-25-Manchester-8-June-1980

Does anyone have a (more precise) location on where Eddy's car was found on Wheeler Rd in Hollis? And whether she may have stopped somewhere on her way to the aerobics class in Merrimack that would allot for her to be grabbed by someone(s) who may have then driven her car to the location it was found?

Mostly soundboarding--I've been expanding the search criteria for another thread regarding the CT River Valley Killer and came across this case. I don't believe the two are related, but like a number of other threads suggest, there may have been even three active killers all at once within a 40-50 mile radius.

http://64.94.90.24/news/902978-196/father-wants-no-pain.html is an article containing more information on the case and the reopening of the case in 2010 by the cold case unit. Of particular interest it gives the names of the owners of the car - and the people she was living with - as Stephen and Rosaline Bowman. I believe this is Stephen F Bowman, age 63, who now lives in Maine (but did live in Arizona after living in Nashua, as noted in the story). Stephen and Rosaline (or Rosalind) seem to be married with adult children and I can find nothing adverse about them.

I do wonder about Eddy's antecedents and lifestyle. At https://www.courtrecords.org/people/Eddy+Segall+FL/ there is a 1976 conviction for loitering in Florida (where she previously lived). Is loitering describing something else? Eddy Segall was her married name. Eddy Milta Mermelstein married Leonard Michael Segall in Dade, Florida in late 1968 (from Ancestry and the Mermelstein checks with the 'Mermelstein Segall' on her 1976 arrest). They divorced in 1973.

It seems that Eddy's father has only just died, at the age of 93 on 21st February. See http://scaranofuneralhome.com/tribute/details/1472/Seymour-Mermelstein/obituary.html . The obituary has an error where it gives his dob as 1944 (this should read 1924). Eddy's mother, Anita, died in 2012. As Eddy was an only child (I believe from various genealogy sources) this means there are no longer any close relatives alive.

One thing which has puzzled me about this case is the question of why Eddy moved to New Hampshire. She was originally from New Jersey, her family were in Florida and, as far as I ca find out, she had no connection with Nashua (or New Hampshire). It may be irrelevant, but I do wonder if her reason for moving introduces any information of interest.

I assume the gym has closed since I can't find anything. Wheeler Road looks a pretty rural road with tons of forest.

Probably she was carjacked somewhere and force to drive all the way out there? They could've buried her anywhere on that area. Or killed somewhere else and they decided to dump the car and the keys apart to throw off investigators.

NH – Eddy Milta Mermelstein Segall, W/F, 28, Hollis, Hillsborough Co, 15 Jun 1977

Eddy Milta Mermelstein Segall

120902518_138562032766.jpg

Missing From: Hollis, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire

Physical/Clothing/Medical
Race:
White
Sex: Female
DOB: 02/20/1950
Height: 5’1”-5’2” (61”-62”)
Weight: 105-118 lbs.
Hair: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Clothing: White jersey tank top, blue jeans, brown shoulder type pocketbook, rubber shower sandals
Jewelry:
Characteristics
/Medical/Scars: Scar from navel to privates
Transportation: 1969 Oldsmobile 2-Door, Light Green (Located)
Fingerprint Status: Not Available
Dental Status: Not Available
DNA Status: Available

Circumstances:
At the time of Eddy’s disappearance, she was living with friends at 14 Burritt Street Nashua, NH. Eddy left her residence on June 15th, 1977 in route to an exercise class at Women’s World Gym at Pennichuck Square in Merrimack, NH. Eddy’s roommates reported her and their car missing on June 15th when she failed to return and did not arrive at the gym.

On July 3rd a walker in the woods found the 1969 Oldsmobile Segall had borrowed from her roommate and was driving the day she disappeared on a remote logging road 1.5 miles off Wheeler Road in Hollis, NH.

The car was abandoned near a stolen Ford that had been left years ago after being driven into Parker Pond. A towel and leotard belonging to Eddy was inside the car and the keys being found @ 100 yards away in the middle of the logging road.

LE suspect that another vehicle drove into the woods and at least two people left the area in that other vehicle. It is believed that Eddy was buried somewhere in the surrounding woods. Divers were utilized to search two ponds close by however did not find Eddy or any evidence related to her disappearance.

She had from moved from Tampa, FL to Nashua, NH a few months before she disappeared originally living at 614 S Main Street then eventually moving to 14 Burritt Street she did not know many people nor had a lot of family in the area. LE know of at least (2) local men Eddy dated around the time of her disappearance.

All thou LE stated they did not have any suspects but there were persons of interest that they would like to speak with.

Investigating Agencies:
Hollis Police Department
9 Silver Lake Road
Hollis, NH 3049
Tele: 603.465.7637
MP Case # 09797-0F
Web: Hollis NH

Information Sources:
NAMUS
MP Case #9042: h Missing Person Case
Case Manager: Lori Bruski
Tele: 817.718.7904
E-Mail: Lori.Bruski@unthsc.edu

New Hampshire DOJ: Eddy Segall | Cold Case Unit | NH Department of Justice

The Doe Network 2988DFNH - The Doe Network: Case File 2988DFNH

The Charley Project - Eddy Segall – The Charley Project

News/Blogs:
11/11/77 – Nashua Telegraph
12/16/10 – The Cabinet Press, Hollis probes 33-year-old disappearance case | News, Sports, Jobs - The Cabinet Press
12/17/10 – The Cabinet Press, Hollis Police hope cold case warms up | News, Sports, Jobs - The Cabinet Press
12/20/10 – The Telegraph, Father wants no pain | News, Sports, Jobs - The Nashua Telegraph
12/23/10 – Boston, Father wants no pain | News, Sports, Jobs - The Nashua Telegraph
12/23/10 – Fosters, NH police looking at woman's 1977 disappearance

Last edited:
Eddy disappeared not long before we moved to Nashua. It's not the kind of place where this kind of stuff happens.

Rumor at the time said that they're pretty sure what happened and who was responsible, but without the body, they don't have a case. And it seems like that's what people always say about an unsolved disappearance that is probably a murder...

Eddy disappeared not long before we moved to Nashua. It's not the kind of place where this kind of stuff happens.

Rumor at the time said that they're pretty sure what happened and who was responsible, but without the body, they don't have a case. And it seems like that's what people always say about an unsolved disappearance that is probably a murder...

That is what I gathered from the articles, LE has a possibilty of whom was involved even with quote ...unqoute .. and as like you stated not enough evidence for a formal charge.

Do you feel as thou its some local, from out of town or once was local but now lives else where

http://64.94.90.24/news/902978-196/father-wants-no-pain.html is an article containing more information on the case and the reopening of the case in 2010 by the cold case unit. Of particular interest it gives the names of the owners of the car - and the people she was living with - as Stephen and Rosaline Bowman. I believe this is Stephen F Bowmand, age 63, who now lives in Maine (but did live in Arizona after living in Nashua, as noted in the story). Stephen and Rosaline (or Rosalind) seem to be married with adult children and I can find nothing adverse about them.

I do wonder about Eddy's antecedents and lifestyle. At 1 Court Records for Eddy Segall found in FL there is a 1976 conviction for loitering in Florida (where she previously lived). Is loitering describing something else? Eddy Segall was her married name. Eddy Milta Mermelstein married Leonard Michael Segall in Dade, Florida in late 1968 (from Ancestry and the Mermelstein checks with the 'Mermelstein Segall' on her 1976 arrest). They divorced in 1973.

Looked at the record as well, have possible ideas she may not have been living a great lifestyle at the time unfortunately.

856.021 Loitering or prowling; penalty.— (1) It is unlawful for any person to loiter or prowl in a place, at a time or in a manner not usual for law-abiding individuals, under circumstances that warrant a justifiable and reasonable alarm or immediate concern for the safety of persons or property in the vicinity.

That is what I gathered from the articles, LE has a possibilty of whom was involved even with quote ...unqoute .. and as like you stated not enough evidence for a formal charge.

Do you feel as thou its some local, from out of town or once was local but now lives else where

I think the rumor at the time was that she was associated with some bad people. I think they would have been more or less local--probably hung around certain areas of Manchester, which is the mill town to the north.

Eddy had apparently moved north to get away from that life. Southern New Hampshire at the time was a booming area with lots of employment opportunities. I seem to recall that she was either working as a secretary, or taking classes to become a secretary, or something along those lines.

Here's roughly the location where her car was found: Google Maps It's still pretty isolated and was even moreso at the time.

Here's a possible route from where she was living to Pennichuck Square, to where her car was found. Google Maps Several of the roads shown on this map weren't there in 1977. State Route 101A is now lined with businesses and housing complexes, but at the time, it was mostly farmland and woodland.

Wheeler Road is a plausible route for someone traveling from Pennichuck Square to downtown Hollis or continuing on into Massachusetts.

Her body could probably be somewhere on that route. Someone would need to confess in order to narrow down the area where her body could possibly be.

LE is pretty sure she was buried somewhere in the immediate vicinity of where her car was found. They've never released the exact location.

I was told by locals at the time that the logging road where the car was found was a known place for dumping stolen cars, small loads of toxic waste, and other junk. It's a heavily wooded area -- meaning lots of underbrush and tangles of vines. Even in the two weeks between when she disappeared and her car was found, a disturbed area would have been quite obscured by new growth.

There are also extensive areas of "wetland", which is basically very soggy ground where cattails, brush, etc. grow and you can go from a firm hummock to knee deep in just a step or two. If they took her in there, they wouldn't even have left a path.

I think the rumor at the time was that she was associated with some bad people. I think they would have been more or less local--probably hung around certain areas of Manchester, which is the mill town to the north.

Eddy had apparently moved north to get away from that life. Southern New Hampshire at the time was a booming area with lots of employment opportunities. I seem to recall that she was either working as a secretary, or taking classes to become a secretary, or something along those lines.

Here's roughly the location where her car was found: Google Maps It's still pretty isolated and was even moreso at the time.

Here's a possible route from where she was living to Pennichuck Square, to where her car was found. Google Maps Several of the roads shown on this map weren't there in 1977. State Route 101A is now lined with businesses and housing complexes, but at the time, it was mostly farmland and woodland.

Wheeler Road is a plausible route for someone traveling from Pennichuck Square to downtown Hollis or continuing on into Massachusetts.

Carbuff TY for the maps, it gives me thought to think if she encountered someone when she arrived at Pennichuck Square parking lot. It appears to be a location with nearly a direct route to where the car was found.

Can see a few places that are cut out that were once roads or trails.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back