GUILTY CA - Anna Vuori, 90, raped & murdered, Lafayette, 10 Dec 2005

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A 90-year-old woman found dead in her Lafayette home on Saturday had been sexually assaulted and smothered to death, authorities said Monday.

Anna Elizabeth Vuori, a retiree who lived alone, died of asphyxiation due to an obstructed airway, according to an autopsy conducted Monday by the Contra Costa coroner's office.

No arrests have been made, and investigators have not determined the motive in Vuori's slaying, which has shocked residents of a city where authorities are now looking into three unusual deaths.

Five registered sex offenders live in Lafayette, and investigators are likely to question them about their whereabouts -- although sheriff's office spokesman Jimmy Lee said there is nothing specifically suggesting that the killer was a registered offender.

"We're looking at everything and everybody that might have had something to do with this," Lee said. The sheriff's office handles police services for the city of 25,000 residents.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/13/BAG6OG75F91.DTL

That poor woman! To have that happen to her at her age is so uncalled for. I hope they catch the creep her assulted her and took her life.

Who could attack an elderly defenseless woman like this? I'm outraged. Crimes involving the elderly and children REALLY burn me up :furious:

kahskye said:
That poor woman! To have that happen to her at her age is so uncalled for. I hope they catch the creep her assulted her and took her life.
To have that happen to anyone at ANY AGE is so uncalled for. I hope you didn't mean to imply that being raped and murdered is "better" at one age than another.

Hoppy

POSTED: 5:17 pm PST January 6, 2006
UPDATED: 5:51 pm PST January 6, 2006

LAFAYETTE -- Homicide detectives from the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office have traveled out of state to arrest a suspect in connection with the murder and sexual assault of 90-year-old Lafayette resident Anna Vuori.

Following investigative leads, two detectives traveled to St Louis, Missouri, Thursday to speak to a suspect who was being held on an unreleated charge there. On Friday, the detectives interviewed 30-year-old Richard Craig McNew regarding the December 10 murder and assault of Vuori in her Lafayette home.

Based on the information obtained during the interview and forensic evidence, the detectives were able to arrest McNew for the homicide. DNA evidence recovered at the crime scene was uploaded to CODIS (the Combined DNA Index System) and a match with McNew was made on the national database.

On Friday, the Contra Costa District Attorney's Office formally charged McNew with Vuori's homicide under special circumstances (murder committed during the commission of rape, robbery and burglary).

Investigators are still looking for information about a ball cap and a left hand work glove found at the crime scene. more at link:http://www.ktvu.com/news/5895718/detail.html

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/13569986.htm
Associated Press

LAFAYETTE, Calif. - A Missouri man was arrested Friday in the sexual assault and murder of a 90-year-old woman after a national DNA database linked him to the crime, authorities said.

Contra Costa County sheriff's detectives tracked down Richard Craig McNew, 30, at a jail in St. Louis, where he was being held on an unrelated charge, and arrested him on suspicion of killing Anna Elizabeth Vuori, according to the sheriff's office.

This is so sick.....whatta slime ball!!! He must of thought he would never get caught being out of state.

cheko,
You have to love DNA!

hoppyfrog said:
To have that happen to anyone at ANY AGE is so uncalled for. I hope you didn't mean to imply that being raped and murdered is "better" at one age than another.

Hoppy
Oh Please! Don't try to put words into my post! Of course it's uncalled for at any age. I was strictly commenting on this particular woman.

mssheila said:
Who could attack an elderly defenseless woman like this? I'm outraged. Crimes involving the elderly and children REALLY burn me up :furious:

I agree and many times their profiles are similar. Only 3-4% of rapists ...rape a woman over the age of 60 years of age. IMO, these type of rapists/murderers are as dangerous as Joe Duncan et al.

I would be interested in knowing his family history especially the women that were a strong influence in his life.

We had a serial killer in my state several years ago. He too was a drifter, using the guise of "working for little money or food" he bound, tortured,raped and murdered these elderly women that lived alone. When he would murder he then moved onto another town quickly. When they caught him he had killed three that they could prove but they suspect he killed more.

They always seem to be in their late 20s or 30s. Strange indeed and quite scary.

IMO

Ocean

kahskye said:
Oh Please! Don't try to put words into my post! Of course it's uncalled for at any age. I was strictly commenting on this particular woman.
I'm pretty sure I understood what you meant kahskye, to live to be that old only to be murdered in that way.

A St. Louis man arrested Friday in connection with the murder of a Lafayette woman is fighting extradition from Missouri, a Contra Costa County sheriff's spokesman said today.

An extradition hearing will take place in early February for 32-year-old Richard Craig McNew, according to sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee.

The timeframe for extradition depends on how hard a suspect fights the process, according to Contra Costa County District Attorney Robert Kochly.

The district attorney's office has charged McNew with the murder of 90-year-old Anna Vuori, Kochly said. Vuori was found dead in her Lafayette home on Dec. 10. Authorities say she was sexually assaulted before she was suffocated.

"I would hope (McNew's extradition) would be resolved in a month or two," Kochly said today.

http://www.cbs5.com/localwire/localfsnews/bcn/2006/01/10/n/HeadlineNews/EXTRADITION-HEARING/resources_bcn_html

chicoliving said:
A St. Louis man arrested Friday in connection with the murder of a Lafayette woman is fighting extradition from Missouri, a Contra Costa County sheriff's spokesman said today.

An extradition hearing will take place in early February for 32-year-old Richard Craig McNew, according to sheriff's spokesman Jimmy Lee.

The timeframe for extradition depends on how hard a suspect fights the process, according to Contra Costa County District Attorney Robert Kochly.

The district attorney's office has charged McNew with the murder of 90-year-old Anna Vuori, Kochly said. Vuori was found dead in her Lafayette home on Dec. 10. Authorities say she was sexually assaulted before she was suffocated.

"I would hope (McNew's extradition) would be resolved in a month or two," Kochly said today.

http://www.cbs5.com/localwire/localfsnews/bcn/2006/01/10/n/HeadlineNews/EXTRADITION-HEARING/resources_bcn_html
Thanks for the link chico!

A Missouri traveling magazine salesman pleaded not guilty Thursday to the murder of a 90-year-old Lafayette woman who was raped, smothered and left bound and tied to her bed in December.

Richard Craig McNew, 32, faces a charge of murder, with special circumstances for murder in the commission of a rape, robbery and burglary. No decision has been made about whether to seek the death penalty, said Paul Graves, a deputy district attorney assigned to the case.

more at link

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/14058672.htm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3