MT MT - Lloyd Bogle, 18, & Patricia Kalitzke, 16, Great Falls, 2 Jan 1956

• Thread starter Deleted member 185742
  • Start date
On the night of Jan. 2, 1956, a young couple from Great Falls never came home.

Initially, the parents of 16-year-old Patricia Kalitzke hoped that she had eloped with her boyfriend, Lloyd Bogle, an 18-year-old airman stationed at Malmstrom AFB.

The two young lovers weren’t expected to stay out late, the Tribune reported at the time. Kalitzke had high school classes to attend, and New Year’s celebrations had just come to a close.

They were last seen alive leaving a Great Falls drive-in around 9 p.m., heading west out Central Avenue to a well-known lover’s lane near Wadsworth Park.

Bogle, from Waco, Texas, was found the next morning by three young boys — his hands tied behind his back and two bullets through his skull.

Kalitzke’s body was located the following day, on a steep road embankment seven miles from the park. Fully clothed, she had also been shot execution-style in the head.

While a suspect was identified at the time, he was later cleared, and the case has never been solved.

Now, retired Great Falls police Detective John Cameron — famous for helping bring suspects to trial in several murder cases — claims to have an answer.

The killer, he writes in his new book, “It’s Me: Edward Wayne Edwards, the Serial Killer You Never Heard Of,” was the titular criminal, who died in prison in 2011 at age 77 after claiming responsibility for five homicides in Wisconsin and Ohio...

Link:
Book probes 1956 killings

Authorities Cutting Tree To Find Bullet in Unsolved 1956 Double Murder
November 28, 1989

GREAT FALLS, Mont. (AP) _ Authorities plan to cut down a 150-year-old cottonwood tree in hopes of finding a bullet that might shed light on an unsolved double murder 33 years ago.

Cascade County Sheriff Barry Michelotti said investigators hope to find the bullet that killed 18-year-old Lloyd Bogle, whose body was found near the tree on Jan. 3, 1956, along a dirt road that was a lovers’ lane of the era.

The body of his 16-year-old girlfriend, Patricia Kalitzke, was found the next day seven miles away.

Both had been shot in the head and the bullet that killed Bogle was missing.

″The tree ... has always been of major interest to law enforcement officers because that’s where he was killed - right at the tree,″ Michelotti said.

Michelotti said police are cutting down the tree now because they had talked about it for years and finally decided to do it.

Recovery of the bullet would enable authorities to determine the caliber of the murder weapon, the sheriff said. There even is a possibility the bullet could be matched with a weapon seized sometime over the last 33 years in another crime.

Efforts to X-ray the tree failed because of its size and density, said Sgt. Dick Duncan, an investigator on the case.

The sheriff said the tree - 80 feet tall, with a trunk 4 1/2 feet in diameter - will be cut down and 33 growth rings will be shaved off its lower section.

″Once we hit the 33-year mark on the tree, we should see an entry if the bullet went into the tree - a hole, a tunnel,″ Michelotti said...

LINK:
Authorities Cutting Tree To Find Bullet in Unsolved 1956 Double Murder

Patti Kalitzke, 16 and Lloyd Bogle,18 murdered 2 January 1956

On Jan. 3, 1956, three young boys walking west of Great Falls, in an area now known as Wadsworth Park, discovered the body of 18-year-old airman Lloyd Duane Bogle lying next to a car. Bogle's hands were tied behind his back using his own belt, and he'd been shot through the head. The car's ignition switch was still engaged, and its headlights were still on.

The body of Bogle's 16-year-old girlfriend, Patti Kalitzke, was found the next day northwest of the city. Like Bogle, Kalitzke was shot through the head. She showed no signs of sexual assault.

Bogle and Kalitzke were last seen alive at a Great Falls drive-in Jan. 2. Investigators didn't believe that the two were killed during a robbery, as money and a camera were found in Bogle's car.

Few clues were initially found to lead investigators to a suspect. A man named Wendell Wallace Smith claimed to have killed a boy and girl in Montana, but he was ruled out as a suspect by Great Falls investigators in 1964.

In 1989, bullets were removed from a cottonwood tree near the spot where Lloyd Bogle was found. Investigators hoped the bullets could be matched to a firearm...

LINK:
Lloyd Duane Bogle and Patti Kalitzke — Great Falls

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-13_19-54-27.png
    upload_2020-4-13_19-54-27.png
    73 bytes · Views: 5
I just saw this! I'm glad there is some closure for the family after all these years, though I wonder how many family members they have left to enjoy the closure after 65 years. I suppose it's bittersweet, seeing as Gould can never be held accountable due to being deceased.

Two things that come to mind is, one, imagine how many killers out there see cases like this and after so many years being in the open and comfortably hiding their secrets, are now nervous and shaking every time their doorbell rings?

Two, I'd be really interested in knowing Gould's background. I read that he had no criminal record. Was he the kind of person that people now look back and say, "yeah, I can believe it," or would they say "I would have never thought he was a murderer,? It's terrifying to think how many more "Gould's" are out there. Hiding amongst us.

Still not as creepy as he was.

I read it in a Hannibal Lecter voice and added “Clarice” at the end for good measure.

Crazy that this has been solved after so many decades. Hopefully, with the advancements of technology, these long term unsolved cases will get fewer and fewer.

Articles and photos from the Daily Mail:

"DNA evidence preserved after a 1956 double homicide and the use of new forensic genealogy has helped a Montana sheriff´s office close the books on the 65-year-old cold case.

Investigators with the Cascade County Sheriff´s Office concluded Kenneth Gould - who died in Oregon County, Missouri, in 2007 - more than likely killed Patricia Kalitzke, 16, and her boyfriend Duane Bogle, 18, the Great Falls Tribune reports. Both were shot in the head.

Detective Sgt. Jon Kadner, who took over the case in 2012, said Tuesday the 65-year-old cold case was the oldest he could find nationwide that has been solved using forensic genealogy, which searches commercial DNA databases to find familial matches to the DNA of a crime suspect."

DNA, forensic genealogy close 65-year-old double homicide cold case of two Montana teens | Daily Mail Online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back