OK - "Bullcrap" congressman cancels town hall due to "safety concerns"

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Tulsa World:

Rep. Markwayne Mullin calls 'bullcrap' at town hall
in Jay: 'This is a service. No one here pays me to go'

---
In a video making the social media rounds, Mullin can be heard saying, “You say you pay for me to do this. Bullcrap. I pay for myself. I paid enough taxes before I got there and continue to through my company to pay my own salary. This is a service. No one here pays me to go.”

When several members of the audience object, Mullin says, “I’m just saying this is a service for me, not a career, and I thank God this is not how I make my living.”
---
Mullin is in his third term and has not said whether he will seek a fourth.

more at the links

Rep. Markwayne Mullin cancels town hall in Tahlequah
over 'safety concerns,' says event will be rescheduled

---

I've in my time gotten stuck with some of the worst representatives (Lamar Smith!) in the districts I've lived in. And it's followed me to NY too.

Note the taxpayer-paid spin coordinators doing their nefarious job here.

So he does it out of the goodness in his heart?

Those lucky Oklahomans.

(I've gotten stuck with some of the best representatives. We should move to the same district and see what happens.)

So he does it out of the goodness in his heart?

Those lucky Oklahomans.

(I've gotten stuck with some of the best representatives. We should move to the same district and see what happens.)
OK!

This guy -- (smh) -- I remember seeing his campaign signs during his first run, and shuddering.

He seems to think being a public servant is doing his constituents a favor. I wonder what kind of promises he made.

He seems to think being a public servant is doing his constituents a favor. I wonder what kind of promises he made.
In Oklahoma the formula has long been God, guns, and gays: run strongly in favor of the first two and opposed to the third and you're a sure bet.

Ugh, I read about this yesterday. I wish I could get some face time with him, Lankford, Inhofe. Markwayne only has a business because he inherited Mullin Plumbing (a pretty large operation) from his father. He's built nothing on his own. He claims to speak for Native Americans and we openly shun him.

haha I agree with the God, guns, and gays formula. Just throw in abortion and that's all that matters in Oklahoma politics. Oh, and OIL.

Mike Synar is rolling over in his grave.

The towm hall meeting will become a thing of the past. The opposition shows up to provoke and disrupt. jmo

One of our senators, Ron Johnson, won't do town hall meetings either. Coward. He knows his allegiances and votes are indefensible. You'd think the mostly old white men could withstand an hour or two of discomfort facing their constituents considering the decisions many of them are making are going to be deadly to thousands, if not millions of people.

Can't blame him.

So many violent nutter conspiracy theorists who believe the lies told by the MSM.

One of our senators, Ron Johnson, won't do town hall meetings either. Coward. He knows his allegiances and votes are indefensible. You'd think the mostly old white men could withstand an hour or two of discomfort facing their constituents considering the decisions many of them are making are going to be deadly to thousands, if not millions of people.

I went to a town hall meeting in Feb with a friend. The Republican congressman tried to immediately diffuse the situation by saying how much he enjoyed these things (it was his third since the election, I think he was learning) and next time he would order an even bigger meeting hall. I don't think he listened at all. Most questions were on health care and the environment. I loved when the signs went up - Agree (used with an audience member, Disagree - with the Congressman.) I was not impressed with him, a career politician but not a great speaker.

Ugh, I read about this yesterday. I wish I could get some face time with him, Lankford, Inhofe. Markwayne only has a business because he inherited Mullin Plumbing (a pretty large operation) from his father. He's built nothing on his own. He claims to speak for Native Americans and we openly shun him.

haha I agree with the God, guns, and gays formula. Just throw in abortion and that's all that matters in Oklahoma politics. Oh, and OIL.
It's interesting, because he implies that he makes a lot of money and there are rules about how much people in Congress are allowed to earn over and above their salary from the government - 15%, if I'm reading this right.
http://conginst.org/2007/09/18/how-much-outside-income-can-a-member-earn-in-a-year/

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

The towm hall meeting will become a thing of the past. The opposition shows up to provoke and disrupt. jmo

I think you are right. These liberal activists clearly watched, learned and duplicated earlier disruptions when social media informed Tea party type activists would swarm events hosted by progressive politicians.

I think the reactions from congressmen have been pretty ironic as well. Many conservatives championed Tea party swarmers against progressives. Meanwhile, progressives called "foul". Today, the conservatives are calling "foul" and the progressives are championing the "concerned citizens"

It's interesting, because he implies that he makes a lot of money and there are rules about how much people in Congress are allowed to earn over and above their salary from the government - 15%, if I'm reading this right.
http://conginst.org/2007/09/18/how-much-outside-income-can-a-member-earn-in-a-year/

But investments aren't included and that's how most of them make their other money.

From the above link:
Income from personal investments is regarded as “unearned” income, and is not subject to the 15% rule. Because the Member is only collecting money based on assets that are already owned, no personal services are being performed and the income is not considered to be “earned.” Examples of unearned income include interest, rent, and stock dividends.

Here's what the conservative Washington Times as to say about it.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/13/markwayne-mullin-us-congressman-says-taxpayers-are/

And just to clarify, for anyone who might be confused by Mullin’s comments?

All tax-paid officials — all — work for the taxpayer. That means congressional members, the president of the United States, the Supreme Court justices — the local school teacher, the Department of Motor Vehicle employee, the public librarian. All.

Those representatives, those public service officials who don’t know that — who don’t know who their bosses really are — have no business holding their public service positions. They should leave, and leave now.

q

Sorry you live in that hell state. Used to be good with so many outstanding people. What happened to people with brains and decorum?

But investments aren't included and that's how most of them make their other money.

From the above link:
Income from personal investments is regarded as “unearned” income, and is not subject to the 15% rule. Because the Member is only collecting money based on assets that are already owned, no personal services are being performed and the income is not considered to be “earned.” Examples of unearned income include interest, rent, and stock dividends.
I think it would depend upon whether or not he is taking a salary from his business.

I am disappointed that so many officials refuse to meet with constituents. I don't think there are safety issues as many town halls have the ability to scan attendees. Too many politicians don't represent their constituents interests but, rather, they are beholden to their party. Whether the constituents are Tea partiers or progressives, politicians must realize that they must find ways to speak to all who they REPRESENT. People are loud because they are screaming to be heard.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back