GUILTY CT - Judith Nilan, 44, found murdered, Woodstock, 12 Dec 2005

Michelle Read

Reaction score
The body of a woman who disappeared while jogging was found Tuesday on property owned by the performer who plays Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch on the television show "Sesame Street," a town official said. if (LinkCount>0){ var linkselement=document.getElementById("links"); if (linkselement!=null) { linkselement.style.visibility="visible"; }} else { var spanElement = document.getElementById("links"); if (spanElement != null) { spanElement.innerHTML = ""; }}

The body of Judith Nilan, 44, was found in a storage building during a search by state police, tracking dogs, volunteers and a helicopter. Police said her death was a homicide and an autopsy was scheduled.

First Selectwoman Delpha Mae Very cautioned against drawing conclusions, saying the property owned by Caroll Spinney is a very large tract of remote wooded land.

A message seeking comment was left at Spinney's home.

Nilan's husband, Jon Baker, called police Monday night after Nilan failed to return from her daily run, said Sgt. J. Paul Vance, a state police spokesman.

Vance would not say what led police to the storage building, which straddles the Connecticut-Massachusetts line about 6 miles from Nilan's home and near her jogging route.

No suspects were in custody Tuesday afternoon, but police had solid leads, Vance said.

According to his Web site, Spinney has performed as Big Bird since the first episode of Sesame Street in 1969. He also co-wrote a book called "The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch)."

Woodstock, home to about 8,000 people, is about 40 miles northeast of Hartford.

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_347171914.html

"Police have a suspect in the case of the murder of a Judith Nilan, 44, of Connecticut, who went missing while on her routine running route.

Scott Deojay, 36, of Plainfield, Connecticut is charged with kidnapping in the first degree and is being held on $1,000,000 bond. According to Connecticut State Police, Deojay was discharged from a hospital on Tuesday. After his release, State Police took him into custody."

:slap: You just made me choke on my coffee.

spinney.jpg

This is Spinney with his 2 alter egos

I love how they're playing up the whole Sesame Street thing. :rolleyes: It is just an odd coincidence.

Now the a-hole is saying it was an accident. Ooops, I hit her with my car. No, more like oops, I killed her, tied her up, and did god-knows-what-else to her. Grrrr.

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4244280

I knew this was going to end up badly when I first heard she disappeared. It was about 20 degrees here that evening, set to get even colder, especially in that part of the state. No way would she have stayed out on her own.... :(

It's too bad the didn't succeed with his suicide attempt on Tuesday. Now another innocent victim is dead! I am surprised he was release from the hospital so quickly after the attempt to take his own life.

This is just so sad. I really wish that women wouldn't go jogging alone whether it is day or night. A lot of women wear headphones and can't hear anything but the music. Sad that this lady didn't jog in pairs.

Bobbisangel said:
This is just so sad. I really wish that women wouldn't go jogging alone whether it is day or night. A lot of women wear headphones and can't hear anything but the music. Sad that this lady didn't jog in pairs.

Very true. But if they MUST go alone, they should alter their routes and NOT wear headphones. I have an ongoing disagreement with my girlfriend over her jogging route. It is the same old route, every day, at the same time, and she insists upon wearing those insufferable headphones with that satellite radio and MP3 player thing.

Every local knows her by sight- they wave to her. She does her circuit every day without fail. Same old.

My love is not a young girl. She is not lithe and buxom and blonde. In fact, she looks a lot like this Judith Nilan, and is her age. That poor woman. :(

Please ladies, be aware of your succeptibility to violent crimes like this. Do not take your exercise along the same route every day, or even at the same times. Do not wear headphones. Do carry pepper spray, mace, a knife or even a handgun, where you are legally able to.

This did not have to happen. And I know I'd be picking a bigger fight if I brought this case up to my girlfriend, since we just recently had an argument about this very thing. Oh well. I would rather be too protective than working on a eulogy.

PLAINFIELD -- New details on a Plainfield man charged with the kidnapping and murder of Judith Nilan in Woodstock last month.

Scott Deojay was charged back in December with Nilan's murder after she failed to return form her daily jog.

On Tuesday, the Hartford Courant is reporting that Deojay is also a suspect in a sexual assault case in Plainfield.

More: http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4343191&nav=1VGm

A Woodstock jogger killed in December was tied up in a similar fashion as the Plainfield woman raped at her home in 2004, court documents revealed this week.

Scott Deojay, 36, of Plainfield, has denied involvement in the June 18, 2004 rape, but has admitted to striking Judith Nilan, 44, of Woodstock, with his car while she was jogging on Dec. 12.

Deojay is charged with murder in Nilan’s death and the police warrant affidavit unsealed Tuesday indicates that Nilan was sexually assaulted. Deojay, however, has not been charged with sexual assault in the case.

A day after her husband reported she had never returned from her daily jog on Dec. 12, Nilan was found hidden and tied up on property where Deojay was a caretaker

New court documents released this week reveal the victim in the 2004 rape case was also bound and sexually assaulted.

Police obtained a DNA profile from the rope used to tie up the rape victim. On Jan. 6, the state police forensic laboratory matched Deojay’s DNA with a sample taken after his arrest in Nilan’s death.
http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/NEWS01/60125004

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060126/NEWS01/601260304/1002

Girlfriend: Plainfield suspect led double life

PLAINFIELD -- The Scott Deojay accused in the brutal rape of his former baby-sitter and the murder of a well-loved Woodstock school social worker is not the man Elizabeth Tichenor remembers.

"I know a different Scott, I don't know that man," said Tichenor, Deojay's former live-in girlfriend. "He had to have some separate life out there nobody knew about. The Scott I knew and lived with is not this guy."

and

"He came home like nothing ever happened ... that's scary," she said. "I've raised my daughter to stay away from people like this. And to think I had a rapist and murderer in my house."

Tichenor said her heart goes out to the victims.

I wonder how many more will come forward to say he raped them.:behindbar

DNA is certainly helping solve some older cases .:clap:

From March 2007:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/co...enced_to_life_for_murder_of_woodstock_jogger/

A Plainfield man was sentenced to life in prison Friday for killing a jogger and hiding her body on property owned by the performer who plays Big Bird on "Sesame Street"...

Deojay was also sentenced to 20 years in prison in the 2004 rape of a 57-year-old Plainfield woman. He was linked to that unsolved crime after he was arrested for Nilan's death.

Deojay pleaded in December to both charges under the Alford doctrine, which means he does not admit guilt but acknowledges there is enough evidence to convict him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back