GUILTY KS - 13 yr old girl Sodomy case - Holton

Jewels53

Reaction score
Attorneys in much-talked-about Jacob Ewing case struggled to find impartial jurors

Ewing, 22, is charged with aggravated indecent liberties and aggravated criminal sodomy with a child under 14 years old and has pleaded not guilty. This is the first of several trials for Ewing, who also faces rape charges.

When special prosecutor Jacqie Spradling asked the prospective jurors whether they know Ewing or the Ewing family, most hands shot up in affirmation. About half of the 142 had known the Ewings for at least a decade.

“If I prove to you that Mr. Ewing had sex with a 13-year-old, would you be able to find him guilty?” Spradling asked repeatedly.

Answers differed wildly. One man said “it would be very hard” to find him guilty and was excused accordingly. Another said, “If she steps out and looks like she’s 18 years old, that’s on her. That’s just how I feel about it.” Another questioned how, if the sex was consensual, one of the two can be imprisoned.

http://cjonline.com/news/local/crim...-talked-about-jacob-ewing-case-struggled-find

bbm

OMG! This angers me so much! What is wrong with peoples thinking like this. Will this girl be able to get any justice! I pray that they picked some unbiased jurors. imo moo :moo:

this is the backwoods thinking that never seems to go away , yes its just that rooted in small towns!

Sodomy trial begins in small Kansas town after struggle to find an impartial jury

snipped by me

One resident of the area, who asked to speak anonymously, told The Kansas City Star that many more potential jurors than usual were called in for selection.

“The whole town square was full of cars yesterday,” the resident said. “There’s never near that many people called up at one time.”

She added that a biker group that vocally opposes sexual abuse against children arrived at the courthouse Tuesday.

Jurors and community members may be taking sides based on the family they know better, the resident said. “If you know one family, you’re more apt to believe them than if you know the other.”

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article145215884.html#storylink=cpy

this is the backwoods thinking that never seems to go away , yes its just that rooted in small towns!

This is one case they should have had a change of venue. Holton is north of the state capitol Topeka that might have been a better location. imo

That poor young gal. My heart goes out to her.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Another article from March. (Sorry these are not all in order)

Judge combines some, but not all, of six sex crime cases involving Jacob Ewing
" Defense’s motion for mental health evaluation of teenage girl denied "

Ewing, 22, faces sex crime charges from five women and the girl, who was 13 years old at the time of the alleged crime. Instead of facing a series of six trials over a year or one large trial in April, Ewing now faces three trials after Marek moved to combine four cases involving adult women into two trials with dates in June and August.

http://cjonline.com/news/local/crim...n_Widget&utm_medium=desktop&utm_campaign=qrec

Judge in Holton sodomy trial challenged by attorney over transcript from closed meeting

Judge Norbert Marek, who presided over the Jacob Ewing sodomy trial in Holton, Kan., is being challenged in court for not allowing the release of a transcript from a closed meeting.

Maxwell Kautsch, a Kansas attorney representing the Topeka Capital-Journal, filed a motion to intervene in Jackson County (Kan.) District Court seeking to bring the release of the transcript. He argues the document should be public and that Marek overstepped his constitutional authority by not releasing it as yet to the public.

The Kansas City Star also has made a request to obtain the transcript.

The transcript in question describes a closed meeting on the final day of the trial. The meeting was not held in open court but a court reporter was present. Parties involved included Marek, the prosecuting and defense attorneys in the case and one juror, according to Kautsch’s motion. That day, closing arguments were delayed by about an hour.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/state/kansas/article148729584.html#storylink=cpy

I have to wonder what the Juror was doing in the meeting on the final day of the trial.

I am also glad to see that JE has more trials pending on other charges.

**********WARNING**********

The article contains some graphic descriptions

Prosecutor: Jacob Ewing viewed violent *advertiser censored* 4 hours a day

http://cjonline.com/news/crime-cour...wed-violent-*advertiser censored*-4-hours-day

Jacob Ewing found not guilty on 2 counts of sex with a child

http://cjonline.com/news/local/crim...cob-ewing-found-not-guilty-2-counts-sex-child

I am disappointed but not surprised with the verdict. With the comments from some potential jurors it seems the culture of the community needs some lessons taught to them about sexual assault. imo

In another town in NE Kansas, about an hour away from Holton, my daughter was abandoned by herself a teacher during cross country practice four miles away from the school, in the middle of nowhere. She was by herself, and got lost. When no one knew where she was, hours later, the school did not bother to let me know, and they did not call the police to look for her. My son was the one who found out why she wasn't home; he was the one who told me she was missing. Just as I was getting ready to call the police, some strangers brought her home. They had found her walking on 99. I was very grateful they only wanted to bring her home.....the school blamed her, and the school board still thinks that I am just terrible for wanting change here in Kansas.

In another town in NE Kansas, about an hour away from Holton, my daughter was abandoned by herself a teacher during cross country practice four miles away from the school, in the middle of nowhere. She was by herself, and got lost. When no one knew where she was, hours later, the school did not bother to let me know, and they did not call the police to look for her. My son was the one who found out why she wasn't home; he was the one who told me she was missing. Just as I was getting ready to call the police, some strangers brought her home. They had found her walking on 99. I was very grateful they only wanted to bring her home.....the school blamed her, and the school board still thinks that I am just terrible for wanting change here in Kansas.

I am sorry to hear that siriusun. I hope your daughter is doing well now. The school should have been responsible for where you daughter was at all times. Keep pushing for change because we can't let this happen again. Schools need to be held responsible for where children are at even at sporting events.

Keep up the fight and when you can let us know how it is going.

Jacob should not be getting away with what he is doing because of his family, that is wrong and the law needs to quit protecting him. They need to protect each and every citizen!

*advertiser censored* history admissible in trial of Jacob Ewing, Holton, Kan., man accused of rapes

Jacob Ewing’s *advertiser censored* viewing history will be allowed in next month’s rape trial, a judge has ruled.

The Holton, Kan., man, who was acquitted of charges of aggravated criminal sodomy and indecent liberties of a 13-year-old in April, now faces allegations of rape, aggravated sodomy and battery brought by two women. Earlier this month, the prosecution argued scenes in *advertiser censored* videos that Ewing viewed around the time the alleged crimes occurred mirror the acts he’s charged with.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article152205387.html

Jacob Ewing’s second trial reopens wounds in Kansas town divided by sex crime allegations

HOLTON, KAN.
A few miles outside of town, a faded yellow sign hangs from white fence posts. Against a rustic backdrop, it flutters and declares, “JUSTICE FOR JACOB,” reminding the town that one of its own is locked away.

“It’s put such a stain on our community,” said Ewing’s grandmother, Julie Hawthorne. Holton “is quaint. The people are so nice. Then you’ve got this. The news portrays anybody who supports Jacob or us as being these hicks. ... We’re not these backward people.”

Meanwhile, the mother of one of the alleged victims, who won’t be named under The Star’s policy to not identify alleged sexual assault victims or their immediate family members, has endured her own version of hell.

“My daughter says that now people look at her either one of two ways,” she said. “Either, ‘There is that poor girl that got raped,’ or, ‘There is the *advertiser censored* on a witch hunt.’ ”

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article157996389.html

Much more info at the link!

I pray they can find an un-biased jury for these next trials. This guy need to be put away for a long time as it appears he will not quit committing these type of crimes! jmo moo and imo!!!!!!

I am sorry to hear that siriusun. I hope your daughter is doing well now. The school should have been responsible for where you daughter was at all times. Keep pushing for change because we can't let this happen again. Schools need to be held responsible for where children are at even at sporting events.

Keep up the fight and when you can let us know how it is going.

Jacob should not be getting away with what he is doing because of his family, that is wrong and the law needs to quit protecting him. They need to protect each and every citizen!

I agree, however; this is an interesting conundrum. Rural communities in Northeast Kansas have a history that they have denied for many years concerning the ways they try to subvert the law and corrupt justice when they find it inconvenient to abide by the law. I have been warning them for years that this cannot help but implode on them, sooner or later. Now, it looks as if those who wanted to deny reality are going to have to give this a closer look. If the defendant was not a long term resident of his town, with the right surname, race, and social connections, he probably would not have fared so well in court during the last trial, regardless of guilt or innocence. The law here in this part of Kansas is usually used to harass people or drive people out of town; not to protect people or obtain justice. That said, most of the people in Holton are very nice, and I wish this had not happened.

[video=twitter;879521104561352705]https://twitter.com/CJOnline/status/879521104561352705[/video]

Will see how this jury fares with this trial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back