Town wants to require sex offenders to post yard signs

aussiegran

Reaction score
(12/15/05 - CUERO, TX) - Registered sex offenders in Cuero would be forced to post a sign at their residences declaring their status if some members of the Cuero City Council get their way.

The City Council voted unanimously Wednesday to instruct a city attorney to draft an ordinance that would require the signs.

The signs would be 2-foot square and read "a registered sex offender lives here," the Victoria Advocate reported for Thursday editions. Council members want the signs to be posted within 20 feet of the front entrance of sex offenders' homes.

"I want our children to have the opportunity to empower themselves," council member Randy Saenz said. "With a sign they can identify a potential predator."

The council passed an ordinance earlier this month restricting sex offenders from living within 1,000 feet of where children gather. Language calling for sex offender yard signs was removed before that ordinance passed.

Several members of the public spoke for the ordinance at Wednesday's meeting, while none spoke against it.

Council member Ed Goodman opposed the sign ordinance at a previous meeting but was not present Wednesday.

Mayor W.L. "Buzz" Edge said there are 19 registered sex offenders living within the Cuero city limits. About one registered sex offender per year moves into the city, he said.

Edge acknowledged concerns about the signs, but said they could discourage sex offenders from moving to Cuero.

"Why should we worry about the signs, which may grow at a rate of one per year, when children are involved?" Edge said. "If a registered sex offender wants to move to Cuero, he knows there will be a sign in his yard. It may be a deterrent. If we deter one, we've done something."
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=state&id=3727478
>>>>>>>>>>
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I think it would definitely help identifying who children should definitely avoid and who adults should keep a close eye on. Thanks for the info.

If it came up in my city I would be behind it 100%. :clap: :clap:

aussiegran said:
(12/15/05 - CUERO, TX) - Registered sex offenders in Cuero would be forced to post a sign at their residences declaring their status if some members of the Cuero City Council get their way.

The City Council voted unanimously Wednesday to instruct a city attorney to draft an ordinance that would require the signs.

The signs would be 2-foot square and read "a registered sex offender lives here," the Victoria Advocate reported for Thursday editions. Council members want the signs to be posted within 20 feet of the front entrance of sex offenders' homes.

"I want our children to have the opportunity to empower themselves," council member Randy Saenz said. "With a sign they can identify a potential predator."

The council passed an ordinance earlier this month restricting sex offenders from living within 1,000 feet of where children gather. Language calling for sex offender yard signs was removed before that ordinance passed.

Several members of the public spoke for the ordinance at Wednesday's meeting, while none spoke against it.

Council member Ed Goodman opposed the sign ordinance at a previous meeting but was not present Wednesday.

Mayor W.L. "Buzz" Edge said there are 19 registered sex offenders living within the Cuero city limits. About one registered sex offender per year moves into the city, he said.

Edge acknowledged concerns about the signs, but said they could discourage sex offenders from moving to Cuero.

"Why should we worry about the signs, which may grow at a rate of one per year, when children are involved?" Edge said. "If a registered sex offender wants to move to Cuero, he knows there will be a sign in his yard. It may be a deterrent. If we deter one, we've done something."
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=state&id=3727478
>>>>>>>>>>
:clap: :clap: :clap:
CUERO, Texas -- Some registered sex offenders in Cuero might have to post signs at their home declaring their status under an ordinance that received preliminary approval from the Cuero City Council.

Only moderate and high-risk sex offenders who move to the city or register after the ordinance takes effect would be bound by its requirements. Registered sex offenders who already live in Cuero would be exempt.

Council members unanimously approved the first reading of the ordinance on Thursday, the Victoria Advocate reported for its Friday edition. The ordinance must pass two more readings to gain approval and take effect.

"By not adopting the sex offender sign ordinance, we are encouraging the abuser," resident Jazzmin Bhuiyan told the council. "We are saying we are standing by the offenders, not with our kids."

The ordinance requires white signs measuring at least 2-feet-by-2-feet that read, "A Registered Sex Offender Lives Here" in black letters. Signs must be visible from the closest roadway and placed within 20 feet of the front entrance of a sex offender's residence.

The City Council voted unanimously in December to instruct a city attorney to draft an ordinance that would require the signs.
http://www.ksat.com/news/5882947/detail.html
Well Done to this council ,I bet not too many registered sex offenders move there.the only problem I have with it is it should include the ones who already live there.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sounds right to me. make it not just nationwide, but worldwide, i say.

Sound like an great idea to me, but I'm sure some group will step in and say this violates thei rights or something like that.

Yes I dont think this will actually go ahead for one reason or another but it really made me smile when I read it! Wouldnt it be a fantastic punishment for them ? Not as fantastic as letting them be slowly tortured at the leisure of their victtims families of course, but fantastic all the same!:clap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back