How to Start a Missing Person Thread and other thread edits

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Los spoiled us terribly with his diligence and dedication in starting most of our new MP threads and, without him, we're left with a big gap to fill.

Some of you have already begun to step up by starting new MP threads, which is very much appreciated. We'd like to encourage anyone who wants to help out - but maybe aren't quite sure how - so here's a little tutorial on how to start a missing person thread:

1. Use the Search box to make sure we don't already have a thread on that case.

2. Go to the Missing Persons Discussion forum and click Post New Thread (upper right hand corner near the forum header).

3. The Opening Post must contain information from, and a link to, an official source: a Mainstream Media (MSM) news article, a release issued by law enforcement, a NamUs listing, etc. A missing person poster from social media is generally not sufficient.

4. Enter pertinent information into the text box and be sure to copy and paste your source link into the text box.

5. Copy the missing person's image and paste it, including the source link, into your Opening Post.

6. Go to the dropdown menu and select the appropriate country/state/location prefix provided by the menu.

7. Add a title. This is a very specific approved format that you must follow for all Missing Person titles:

(State or Country Prefix - First & Last Name, Age, Last Seen Location, Date). For example you will type:

WI - Crystal Jones, 24, Milwaukee, 16 Apr 2017

When done correctly, your title will actually show as:

WI WI - Crystal Jones, 24, Milwaukee, 16 April 2017

NOTE
: The country/state/location WILL show twice (one being the prefix you selected from the dropdown menu, and the other as typed in manually by you. This is important for thread organization purposes within the software.

8. Proofread your post, then Preview it by clicking the Preview feature (that strange little icon that looks kind of like this 1654134515994.png in the uppermost right corner of your post)

9. Once you're satisfied that your post is accurate and complete, click the Submit button.

Any questions? Ask away!

(Revisions done by Admin June 1, 2022)

Thank You so much, OkieGranny! : )
Well heck, I was unable to edit my post above.
I will forever miss waking up to Los2188 posts. I regret the questions I didn't ask him.
Carlos will forever be with me/us sleuthers... guiding the way💞[emoji293] [emoji179]

Thank you, Lisa, for the new threads you've been posting. Great job and very helpful!

I miss Los, too. Such a kind man, gone too young. :cry:

I do have a few questions. I know blogs are not msm but one police dept posted a missing person to their blog is that acceptable for starting a thread?

What about the community newsletter from Patch? Does it need to link to msm?

Thank You for this thread OkieGranny. I know I have more ?'s.

Yes, we can use information posted by law enforcement on any of their own official web pages, which might be a .gov site or a blog or a Facebook page. Many sheriffs and police departments do maintain their own social media pages these days, and any info posted there by an authorized official is considered fair game.

The Patch is a newsletter rather than a newspaper, but its articles generally come from MSM. Try googling to find an original MSM source for the same info and use that link instead.

Yes, we can use information posted by law enforcement on any of their own official web pages, which might be a .gov site or a blog or a Facebook page. Many sheriffs and police departments do maintain their own social media pages these days, and any info posted there by an authorized official is considered fair game.

The Patch is a newsletter rather than a newspaper, but its articles generally come from MSM. Try googling to find an original MSM source for the same info and use that link instead.
Thank You! :)

Oops possibly OT- I realize some websites are x out as not being allowed to post here. Is there a list? Will it show x's before submitting? I just learned here websleuths has a preview but not if you go thru tapatalk. Thank goodness for the hour edit.

I'm not aware of a formal listing. I do know that any links to fundraiser sites are prohibited, as are some websites that are more speculative or sensational in nature rather than fact-based.

If a link has been starred out (as we call it), there may have been a problem with using it as a source in the past, or it could just be that the website doesn't meet our guidelines as a reliable resource.

Thank you for posting this, OkieGranny... I admit I twitch a bit when I see posts that are even slightly out of format!
Also wanted to say how heartbroken I continue to feel over the loss of our Carlos. Will be very difficult to fill his shoes... he was an irreplaceable friend to the missing and the lost.

Hello- I wasn't sure where to post this so apologies if this is the wrong place! Is there a way to browse the missing persons cases by state? I wanted to look through any in NH but I can't figure out how to do it. Searching NH brings up any post where anyone has mentioned NH (if I'm doing it correctly). Thank you!

Hello- I wasn't sure where to post this so apologies if this is the wrong place! Is there a way to browse the missing persons cases by state? I wanted to look through any in NH but I can't figure out how to do it. Searching NH brings up any post where anyone has mentioned NH (if I'm doing it correctly). Thank you!

Absolutely! Go to the Missing Person Discussion forum and scroll all the way down to the bottom. Find the box that says Thread Display Options and click on Prefix. Select NH from the pop-up menu and click Show Threads. When the page reloads, you'll only see threads from NH. Or whichever location prefix you choose.

<removed defunct links>

4)) Log in or sign up to view

Thanks In Advance.

May All Our Missing be Found Safe,
And All Our Un-IDentified be Matched.

Sorry but no, none of these sites would be equivalent to MSM. Not doubting that they do good work, but each missing persons website would have to be vetted and approved individually, and there are so many that it really isn't feasible to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but no, none of these sites would be equivalent to MSM. Not doubting that they do good work, but each missing persons website would have to be vetted and approved individually, and there are so many that it really isn't feasible to do so.

Elaborating on this answer in case I left the impression none of these sites can be linked at all. It is okay to link to a MP organization's post or to post their flier on an existing thread, but they cannot be used to start a thread nor can we close a thread based upon their word that a missing person has been found. For that, we need either LE or MSM.

There is one exception to this rule: If a missing person flier includes a case number issued by the law enforcement agency investigating the disappearance, it can be used to start a thread. However, very few MP orgs provide a case number on their fliers.

I knew i would have another ? What about nixle? I see a LE post to nixle but nothing on the LE site?
Thx.

I knew i would have another ? What about nixle? I see a LE post to nixle but nothing on the LE site?
Thx.

Yes, information found on Nixle comes directly from law enforcement or other government agencies, so it is allowed as a source.

Yes, information found on Nixle comes directly from law enforcement or other government agencies, so it is allowed as a source.
Thanks again! So much to learn!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

While this is okiegranny's thread...I just wanted to say you will make mistakes but the mods here are wonderful at helping and very patient!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back