Tom Cruise/Scientology/Katie - Merged

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm starting a new thread for this...the other thread's long and devoted to Tom and Katie :)

SNIP
According to court documents made public by The Times in the 1980s, Hubbard espoused the belief that Xenu captured the souls, or thetans, of enemies and electronically implanted false concepts in them to keep them confused about his dirty work. The goal of these advanced courses is to become aware of the trauma and free of its effects.

At Cruise's high level of training, ex-members say, devotees also are charged with actively spreading the organization's less secretive beliefs and advancing its crusades, including Hubbard's deep disdain for psychiatry, a profession that once dismissed his teachings as quackery.

"When you hear Tom Cruise talking about psychiatrists and drugs," said one prominent former Scientologist who knows Cruise, "you are hearing from the grave the voice of L. Ron Hubbard speaking."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-scientology18dec18,0,2963052.story?coll=la-home-headlines

SNIP

GILMAN HOT SPRINGS —Nearly 30 years ago, the Church of Scientology bought a dilapidated and bankrupt resort here and turned the erstwhile haven for Hollywood moguls and starlets into a retreat for L. Ron Hubbard, the science fiction writer who founded the religion.

Today, the out-of-the-way 500-acre compound near Hemet has quietly grown into one of Scientology's major bases of operation, with thriving video and recording studios, elaborate offices and a multimillion-dollar mansion that former members say was built for the eventual return of "LRH," who died in 1986.

Like the previous owners, the church also has used the property as a sanctuary for its own stable of stars. It is here, ex-members say, that Hollywood's most bankable actor, Tom Cruise, was assiduously courted for the cause by Scientology's most powerful leader, David Miscavige.

Scientology has long recruited Hollywood luminaries. But the close friendship of these two men for nearly 20 years and their mutual devotion to Hubbard help explain Cruise's transformation from just another celebrity adherent into the public face of the church.

The bond between the star and his spiritual leader was evident last year when the two traded effusive words and crisp salutes at a Scientology gala in England. Calling Cruise "the most dedicated Scientologist I know," Miscavige presented him with the church's first Freedom Medal of Valor.

"Thank you for your trust, thank you for your confidence in me," Cruise replied, according to Scientology's Impact magazine. "I have never met a more competent, a more intelligent, a more tolerant, a more compassionate being outside of what I have experienced from LRH. And I've met the leaders of leaders. I've met them all."
------
SNIP

A Scientology spokesman, Mike Rinder, called them the "best of friends," men who've achieved great success through "their force of personality and their drive to excel."

At the same time that Cruise's increasingly vocal advocacy of Scientology has drawn attention to his faith, it has collided with his career. While promoting "War of the Worlds" this year, the film's director, Steven Spielberg, grew concerned that Cruise was talking too little about the movie and too much about Scientology and his wide-eyed-in-love fiancee, Katie Holmes, who turns 27 today.

Their romance generated even more buzz when Holmes was seen in the nearly constant company of Jessica Rodriguez, who is from a prominent family of Scientologists. Holmes, who said after becoming engaged to Cruise that she was embracing Scientology, described Rodriguez as a close friend, though she was widely seen as a church-appointed companion.

Unlike Holmes' embrace of the church, Cruise's is not new. Long before he sprang onto Oprah's couch, jabbed an accusing finger at Matt Lauer and blasted Brooke Shields for taking antidepressants, Cruise undertook intensive Scientology study and counseling at the church's compound, according to current and former Scientologists.

Tom's at it again. :eek: :eek: :eek:

The Daily Whisper
Hottest Scoop on the 'Net

CRUISE BLASTED BY 9/11 FIREFIGHTERS
Outspoken actor Tom Cruise has been criticized by firefighters suffering the effects of smoke inhalation from the World Trade Center terrorist attacks for his controversial views on their treatment.
The Scientology devotee has urged emergency services victims to give up their medication and inhalers as part of a 'purification rundown' which favors sauna sessions, ingestion of cooking oil and large doses of niacin as cures instead.

As co-founder of the New York Rescue Workers Detoxification Project, Cruise has also supported a new Scientology clinic preaching these remedies near the Ground Zero site.

But the unorthodox therapy has been slammed as ridiculous and potentially harmful by members of the medical profession, as well as sufferers themselves.

He had some serious mental issues, and so does Tom Cruise. MOO

Telling firefighters with damaged lungs to get off their medication and inhalers is seriously dangerous. I hope that nobody is taking him seriously or listening to him. Cruise truly is a :loser: :loser: :loser:

Who ever wrote this article is clearly out of the loop. Tom is NOT one of "Hollywood's most bankable actors" anymore! :laugh:

tom is a simple man, he needs to go back to fao schwartz and do some more hand stands.....simple man!!!

There was an unoffical biography of Hubbard published in the late 80s/early 90s called BAREFACED MESSIAH which exposed Hubbard and Dianetics/Scientology fo what it is--ballyhooed hogwash aimed at people with more money than sense. The publisher was sued by the Church (big surprise) and American distribution of the book was stopped after 6 weeks. I was lucky enough to read the book while it was available and write a review of it. I know (or knew) numerous people who were friends of Hubbards back when he was a science fiction writer. They either believed him to be a genius/messiah or the biggest sociopath/congenital liar they'd ever met. Nothing in between.

BillyGoatGruff said:
There was an unoffical biography of Hubbard published in the late 80s/early 90s called BAREFACED MESSIAH which exposed Hubbard and Dianetics/Scientology fo what it is--ballyhooed hogwash aimed at people with more money than sense. The publisher was sued by the Church (big surprise) and American distribution of the book was stopped after 6 weeks. I was lucky enough to read the book while it was available and write a review of it. I know (or knew) numerous people who were friends of Hubbards back when he was a science fiction writer. They either believed him to be a genius/messiah or the biggest sociopath/congenital liar they'd ever met. Nothing in between.
My vote is the second choice. :laugh:

I wonder if Tom will be so loud mouthed about his insane crap when he can't get a job. It is only a matter of time. War of the Worlds should have been HUGE but it sank because he made an *advertiser censored* of himself. I feel he is on the list in Hollywood as STAY AWAY FROM...

I think Cruise could use some serious meds for his apparent problems with reality.
He deserves to be laughed out of Hollywood....but then again there are lots of them in Hollywood that are a few bricks short a load.

aheddle said:
I think Cruise could use some serious meds for his apparent problems with reality.
He deserves to be laughed out of Hollywood....but then again there are lots of them in Hollywood that are a few bricks short a load.
I agree with you aheddle.

michelle said:
tom is a simple man, he needs to go back to fao schwartz and do some more hand stands.....simple man!!!

I hadn't heard about this so I looked it up. Good grief. Well...somebody invited the media. Too bad they don't just say "No thanks".

Tired of this. They're just doing all of this for attention. Why doesn't he do something humanitarian.

I wonder if he's manic.

ETA: Symptoms of Mania:

Abnormal or excessive elation
Unusual irritability
Decreased need to sleep
Increased talking
Racing thoughts
Increased sexual desire
Markedly increased energy
Por judgment
Inappropriate social behavior

QUOTE>>Why doesn't he do something humanitarian.

I wonder if he's manic.

Unusual irritability
Unusual irritability
Decreased need to sleep
Increased talking (interviews)
Racing thoughts
Increased sexual desire
Por judgment
Inappropriate social behavior<<

I really dislike celeb's doing nothing but indulging themselves, whilst half the world lives in poverty.
Go Brad and Angelina!
Yep, he's got all the symptom's lol.

SpongeBathHotPants said:
I wonder if Tom will be so loud mouthed about his insane crap when he can't get a job. It is only a matter of time. War of the Worlds should have been HUGE but it sank because he made an *advertiser censored* of himself. I feel he is on the list in Hollywood as STAY AWAY FROM...
What are you talking about? WotW made 234.2 million domestic and 354.6 mil foreign for a combined b.o. of 588.8 worldwide. The movie cost 132 mil, with probably another 25 mil for print & media advertising. That would place it at just under 150 mil. Which means the movie made 438.8 before DVD/PPV/Cable sales, which will probably net another 50-200 mil worldwide over the next 3 years.

In comparison Revenge of the Sith made 848.4 worldwide with an estimated final budget of 140 mil and Harry Potter IV 707.9 with an estimated final budget of 175, placing their takes at 708.4 and 532.9 respectively.

If Cruise has the usual point sharing on the back end that most modern stars seem to have in their contracts, that means he has earned anywhere from 8.7 to 21.9 mil from WotW. He's in no danger of going broke any time soon.

No, he's more likley to lose work for being difficult to work with/unpredictable on the set. If an actor becomes "difficult", directors & other stars start refusing to work with them, and the next thing they know they are "unbankable". Usually alcohol & drugs are the result of this, but emotional instability & bad publicity will also do the job.

Billy, I don't keep careful track of such things, but I believe Mr. Cruise is one of a handful of stars who gets his percentage from the front, rather than back end. I suspect your estimate of his earnings is conservative.

Quite simply, WotW is Cruise's most successful film. He's going to have to lose money for somebody before he becomes "unbankable."

Nova said:
Billy, I don't keep careful track of such things, but I believe Mr. Cruise is one of a handful of stars who gets his percentage from the front, rather than back end. I suspect your estimate of his earnings is conservative.

Quite simply, WotW is Cruise's most successful film. He's going to have to lose money for somebody before he becomes "unbankable."
If he doesn't shut up and quit acting like a fool....then that may come sooner than you think. :doh:

Nova said:

The back end estimates are from box office only, and does not include whatever he was paid for his "pay or play" contract, which I suspect was another 10-20 mil. You can get detailed box office figures (but not DVD sales figures, for some reason) online at www.boxofficemojo.com. The budget reported for all films probably do not include the advertising budget, but rule of thumb is that if the money cost 80-100+ mil, the advertising budget is usually an additional 25 mil.

Strange behavior on Cruise's part could easily make him unbankable, if he irritates the wrong director/big name star/producer during a shoot. Marilyn Monroe, Frances Farmer, John Barrymore, Dennis Hopper, Peter Lawford, Buster Keaton, David Carradine & Peter Fonda are among stars who found themselves blackballed by mainstream Hollywood due to problematic behavior on the set. Hopper & Fonda were able to make relative comebacks (its uncertain re Carradine), as well as Keaton, who enjoyed a renaissance late in life, and Monroe made the rather canny career move of dying before her star began to truly plummet, so that we view her as a Hollywood icon and not a washed-up lush/pill hound. Cruise has plenty of time to screw himself up, especially now that he's getting older and only has another 5-10 years of being able to pull off romantic/action leads.

jilly said:
I hadn't heard about this so I looked it up. Good grief. Well...somebody invited the media. Too bad they don't just say "No thanks".

Tired of this. They're just doing all of this for attention. Why doesn't he do something humanitarian.

I wonder if he's manic.

Unusual irritability
Decreased need to sleep
Increased talking
Racing thoughts
Increased sexual desire
Por judgment
Inappropriate social behavior

I've always thought that cruise acts manic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie