How to start a Crimes in the News thread

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
If you'd like to start a thread but aren't sure how, here's a little tutorial:

The Crimes in the News forum is for adult victims. Crimes - Spotlight on Children is only for crimes against children, but a case that involves adult and minor victims would go in Crimes in the News.

1. It begins with information from an official source, such as a news article or a release issued by law enforcement.

2. Use the Search box to make sure we don't already have a thread on that case.

3. If you wish to use images supplied by law enforcement or news media in your post, upload them to an image host.

4. Go to the Crimes in the News forum and click Post New Thread (right side near the top next to the "Members Online Now" box).

5. Add a title. There is a specific approved format for for all Crimes titles, including an indication of what happened to the victim(s). When given a choice, we prefer to honor deceased victims rather than give perps publicity and so we use victims' names in titles whenever possible:

(State or Country Prefix - Victim's First & Last Name, Age, What Happened, Last Known Alive Location, Date)

For example: WI - Crystal Jones, 24, found strangled, Milwaukee, 16 April 2017

However, if the victim(s) survived, privacy may be an issue and we would then use the perp's name instead. For example:

WI - John Jones charged with rape, Milwaukee, 16 April 2017

6. Add your source link(s) and text in the text box.

7. Preview and proofread your post by clicking the Preview Post button.

8. Once you're satisfied that your post is accurate and complete, click the Create New Thread button.

Any questions? Ask away!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our display can then be set to our favorite State, when our time is scarce.

TIA / Thanks In Advance

I have a case I'd like to submit but I have no clue where to submit button is located.

Do you have to have a certain number of posts before starting a thread? I don't see the "post new thread" button either.

I'm on a tablet if that makes a difference.

I have a case I'd like to post once I know the rules. It's an odd situation that doesn't fit any of the categories I've seen -- is there a generic discussion thread where I can ask those types of questions?

Welcome to Websleuths! I do believe you have to post ? amount of times before starting a thread.

Thanks! I guess the button will appear when I reach the right number of posts. Would be cool if there was some kind of thread that explains all that for new members. I looked on the rules and etiquette threads but didn't see anything like that. Anyway thanks for your reply!

Thanks! I guess the button will appear when I reach the right number of posts. Would be cool if there was some kind of thread that explains all that for new members. I looked on the rules and etiquette threads but didn't see anything like that. Anyway thanks for your reply!
Quoting myself because I found the discussion thread where these rules are explained and I thought the poster above me might want to know.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?75217-Etiquette-amp-Information-Discussion

~OkieGranny= If a certain case is local to us, are we allowed to post things that are "going around" but not necessarily sourced in any media yet? ~Thanks in advance :)!

The Crimes in the News forum is for adult victims. Crimes - Spotlight on Children is only for crimes against children, but a case that involves adult and minor victims would go in Crimes in the News.

1. It begins with information from an official source, such as a news article or a release issued by law enforcement.

3. If you wish to use images supplied by law enforcement or news media in your post, upload them to an image host.

4. Go to the Crimes in the News forum and click Post New Thread (to the left of the forum header).

5. Add a title. There is a specific approved format for for all Crimes titles, including an indication of what happened to the victim(s). When given a choice, we prefer to honor deceased victims rather than give perps publicity and so we use victims' names in titles whenever possible:

(State or Country Prefix - Victim's First & Last Name, Age, What Happened, Last Known Alive Location, Date)

However, if the victim(s) survived, privacy may be an issue and we would then use the perp's name instead. For example:

8. Once you're satisfied that your post is accurate and complete, click the Submit New Thread button.

Any questions? Ask away!
Yes I have a question!!Yesterday there was breaking news about an unsolved murder of a 11 year old boy,in The Netherlands.Finally they had an DNA match but the suspect is on the run.The DP have given a press conference about the investigation and released the full name of the suspect,his picture and that he is a bushcrafter.The police is on the lookout for involvement and sexuall assult of Nicky Verstappen.The suspect is placed on Interpol/Europe most wanted
So could this case be posted under this thread?
And can the full name pict etc be posted as well? Given the fact that he is already listed on Interpol with all his personal ID

Ok thanks I really hope that this will be answered

4. Go to the Crimes in the News forum and click Post New Thread (right side near the top next to the "Members Online Now" box).

8. Once you're satisfied that your post is accurate and complete, click the Create New Thread button.

Any questions? Ask away!

Hi there, I'd like to open a thread about a wave of dog killings in Berlin, Germany. What's the appropriate forum for this topic? Many thanks!

Hi there, I'd like to open a thread about a wave of dog killings in Berlin, Germany. What's the appropriate forum for this topic? Many thanks!

If you can link news reports, maybe Crimes in the News?

Is there a forum for Europe?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back