GUILTY GA - Hanna Montessori, 15, Marietta, 5 Jan 2004

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Arrest made in slaying of runaway

Nearly two years after a 15-year-old Georgia runaway was found dead on a California street corner, an arrest may finally close a chapter in a murder mystery that raised questions about how Georgia tracks abused children.

On Wednesday, a 20-year-old car salesman accused of killing Hanna Montessori will be arraigned on murder charges. The man, police say, met Hanna while she was working as a prostitute on the streets of Santa Ana, Calif. It was a sad end to a life that seemed full of promise.

Hanna's great-great-grandmother, Maria, founded the Montessori teaching method in Italy a century ago. The method, which stresses individual achievement, is now used in thousands of schools worldwide.

Phillip and Cheryl Montessori raised Hanna, the second of their three children, in a modest five-bedroom home in Maine. Her parents separated in 1999, and after their divorce, Hanna began experimenting with drugs and alcohol and skipped school often, her father said.

In 2000, Hanna and her younger brother, Daren, moved to metro Atlanta with their mother, and Hanna was shuffled among several shelters and group homes after state welfare workers reported that she had been abused in her home. They never said when or by whom.

Hanna visited her father in Maine about once a year, Phillip Montessori said, the last time for a four-month stay in the summer of 2003. "I thought she was doing better," her father said.

But in September of that year, Hanna slipped out of a Marietta facility for abused teens and never returned.

A few months later — on Jan. 5, 2004 — Hanna called her father to wish him a happy birthday. Her older brother, Derek, answered the phone.

"She said, 'I'm fine. When I'm 18 I'll tell you where I am,' " Derek Montessori said in a 2004 interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution at the Montessoris' home in Gray, Maine. "I asked her to come home, but she wouldn't."

Fourteen days later, on Jan. 19, 2004, Hanna was found badly beaten on a California street corner and died on the way to the hospital.

But her family didn't know it for months.

After Hanna's death, the Division of Family and Children Services provided The Atlanta Journal-Constitution with a copy of the police report on her disappearance from the shelter and a copy of the form that indicates that Cobb County police entered Hanna's disappearance into the nationwide police database. But for reasons that still aren't clear, Hanna's name never made it into the National Crime Information Center database.

So when she was picked up by Santa Ana police for loitering in December 2003, officers had no way of knowing she was a runaway. Hanna was fingerprinted and photographed, but was released the next day.

So for three months, Hanna's unclaimed body was stored at a Santa Ana morgue while her family prayed for her safe return.

Phillip Montessori eventually found his daughter's picture on a Web site for missing children. It read: "Jane Doe, Santa Ana, California. Deceased."

Much more: http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/1205/20metmontessori.html

And he found her as a Jane Doe. So sad. That is why I think the National DNA Database is so important. And someone screwed up and didn't report her disappearance to NCIC. That just makes it worse. There was a chance for her, if when she was picked up for loitering, if they had only known that she was a runaway.
I wonder why, if she was proven to be abused- why she wasn't sent to live with her father. Since her brother answered the phone there, he must have been living there.

Nearly two years after a 15-year-old Georgia runaway was found dead on a California street corner, an arrest may finally close a chapter in a murder mystery that raised questions about how Georgia tracks abused children.

On Wednesday, a 20-year-old car salesman accused of killing Hanna Montessori will be arraigned on murder charges. The man, police say, met Hanna while she was working as a prostitute on the streets of Santa Ana, Calif.

It was a sad end to a life that seemed full of promise.

In California, Jonathan Tran, the man accused of killing Hanna, is charged with raping and sexually assaulting three other girls between the ages of 15 and 18.

Tran, who had no prior rec*ord, was charged Dec. 8. Tran's lawyer, Richard Wynn, did not return phone calls left at his office in California.

If convicted of all charges, Tran could face 55 years to life in prison. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty because there is no evidence the murder was committed along with "another serious crime" such as rape or armed robbery, said Orange County (Calif.) Deputy District Attorney Susan Kang Schroeder.

Last week, an investigator called Phillip Montessori, but news of the arrest brought little solace.

"It's not closure," Montessori, 43, said by phone from his home near Portland, Maine. "It's the end of one very bad chapter and the beginning of another."

"I really never thought they'd catch the person who killed my daughter," he said Monday.

"Now I just want to know why it happened."
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/1205/20metmontessori.html

A car salesman has been charged with murdering the great-great-granddaughter of Italian educator Maria Montessori.

Jonathan Phong Khanh Tran, 20, faces arraignment Wednesday in the 2004 killing of 15-year-old Hanna Montessori, a runaway from a youth detention center in Marietta, Ga. He also is accused of sexually assaulting three other women.

Tran was arrested Nov. 4 on unrelated charges, and was charged with Hanna's killing Dec. 8.
http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ap/1205/2108_charged_killing_girl.html

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2009/09/i_want_the_white_girl_killer_a.php

By R. Scott MoxleyTue., Sep. 1 2009 at 12:00 PM

They ruled his cries of an unfair trial were not legitimate and then they did something that may have the former happy-faced Little Saigon car salesman wishing he'd never asked for a review of his case. The justice, opining that Judge William R. Froeberg was too lenient at the 2008 sentencing hearing, increased Tran's prison sentence by a whopping two decades.

He has to do 83 years to life for his crimes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back