Child Abduction Response Team program rolls out nationally; fills gaps of Amber Alert

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
sorry if this was already posted. After searching, I couldn't find a thread on it.
I did post this story on another thread too, but thought it would be good here.

Justice Department Launches New Child Abduction Plan

Jay Etheridge, who has been in Florida law enforcement for 23 years, says one thing sticks in his mind about the abduction and murder of Carlie Brucia: Her mother said she wished police hadn’t spent so much time scrambling for help in the hours after her 11-year-old daughter disappeared.

Carlie's abduction near a Sarasota car wash was captured on videotape on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2004. Her body was discovered five days later...
The car wash video helped identify Carlie's abductor, but those five days also provided a valuable lesson, said Etheridge, an assistant special agent in charge with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

"With every passing minute, you can’t spend time looking for, OK, where are we going to get the bloodhounds from?" Etheridge told FOXNews.com. "We want to spend that time looking for that child."

Federal officials are eager to get the program started nationally because they say it fills gaps where the popular Amber Alert program can fail. Amber Alerts can be issued only when certain criteria are met, like when a suspect or vehicle description is available.

Often no such clues exist in the minutes and hours after an abduction when leads are most important. One widely-cited study funded by the Justice Department in the late 1990s said that 74 percent of child abduction-murder victims die within the first three hours after the abduction...

More: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179203,00.html

Thanks for the story. I certainly agree. :blowkiss:

This is welcome news. It will be a big help to small town police departments if they are faced with a missing child situation.

heck with small towns, when I heard Danielle was Kidnapped I was shocked that I couldn't pick up the phone and have law enforcement shut every road leaving from the area for searches...

I know now how impossible it is to gear up quick enough to make that possible, but the Amber Alert has done so much over the last few years to help save kidnapped children. For all of us that fought for it, I can't help but smile each time I hear a child was saved in time...

Every time another group jumps in to make a difference it makes our children safer...

now the whining is beginning from the Pedoviles because they are being watched too closely, I only have one thing to say...

go suck on a gun barrel, you'll never hurt another child and we won't have to watch your every move... :boohoo:

sorry had to vent for a moment... My blood boils every time I think back to when we realized Danielle was missing and there was nothing we could do about it. It took 6 hours to get the search organized and rolling...

Now, after what Justice Department officials say is a year of proven success in Florida, the Child Abduction Response Teams program will be rolled out nationally, beginning with training in San Diego in January and $1.5 million in federal money to back the start-up of 10 such programs nationwide.

ANYTHING to help speed the process of getting the word out of a missing child is good. Here a call to the radio stations will get the word out of a missing child.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back