New Information Says Daughter & Father Tried to Escape Their Sinking Van

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There has been a lot of speculation that maybe the daughter drove into the water on purpose but now a witness said both victims were trying to get out of the van.

The link below has a video of the rescuers trying to get them out of the van before it sank. It is very disturbing to watch.

[FONT=&quot]Tim Cobb of Venice said he tried the back hatch and other doors but was thwarted by water pressure. The driver “was actively trying to get out,[/FONT]

*snip*

[FONT=&quot]Rescuers were unable to save driver Carol Hayden, 64, and her father, Eugene Hayden, 88, both of Venice, after their white van [/FONT]drove into the water off the South Jetty[FONT=&quot] at about 4:20 p.m., according to police. [/FONT]

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20170509/victims-of-fatal-van-plunge-tried-to-escape-witness-says

Oh, how awful!

I cannot imagine the sheer frantic panic. :(

Oh Lord this is so sad. Terribly tragic and such a horrible way to die.

RIP Carol & Eugene.

O how awful, those poor people. May their souls rest in peace.

I saw this in the news - I did not know the couple personally though I have a bunch of friends who live in Venice (three towns south of Sarasota where I live). LE is still investigating.

Thank you for posting this shocking story, Tricia.

terrible

those poor people

Wow that is so sad. I cannot imagine their fear. Also I am amazed by how brave the men who jumped in were, they are hero's no matter the outcome

Bless Carol and Eugene

Stories like this just really make my heart hurt. I can't even imagine the sheer terror for the people inside the vehicle, feeling so helpless....and for those trying to help. OMG. What can you do in a situation like this when the pressure of the water prevents you from opening the doors, and you can't just unroll a window because most vehicles these days are power windows (plus even if not, I would think the pressure of the water against the window would prevent it from being rolled down manually). This is just so upsetting, my heart and prayers go out to the family and friends, and those who risked their own lives to attempt a rescue. This will weigh on their minds forever :-(

I live in Sarasota. This is all over our news. One article quoted the Sheriffs Dept and said it is being treated as a homicide investigation. Because of that specific wording, as well as the witnesses who states that the driver went forward until hitting a bench and then reversed before driving forward into the water - we are left to believe murder suicide or dual suicide.

Very shocking and disturbing, may they rest in peace. Hoping anyone who witnessed it can find a way to come to terms as well.

I live in Sarasota. This is all over our news. One article quoted the Sheriffs Dept and said it is being treated as a homicide investigation. Because of that specific wording, as well as the witnesses who states that the driver went forward until hitting a bench and then reversed before driving forward into the water - we are left to believe murder suicide or dual suicide.

Very shocking and disturbing, may they rest in peace. Hoping anyone who witnessed it can find a way to come to terms as well.

I heard that too - I live in Sarasota too.

That's why it would help if LE finds out exactly what transpired before this all happened.

There has been a lot of speculation that maybe the daughter drove into the water on purpose but now a witness said both victims were trying to get out of the van.

even if it was done on purpose their reaction would probably be the same,

panic, and natural human instinct would kick in and make them try to get out

From the many stories we read, this is very sad. Maybe there are family members who can give insight as to any problems either one was suffering from.

Thinking it was an accident, the pure shock would render you helpless in those first few seconds that are so important in trying to save yourself. Getting out of the seatbelt is the first obstacle, then figuring out how to break a window is a BIG problem as what do you use, how strong you are, do you fear water, and how fast the vehicle is sinking.

While I do have one of those gadgets to cut a seatbeat and knockout a window in my console, in a panic situation, will I remember, can I get it to work? Or will the pure shock/feat of the situation make me incapable of logical thinking?

Back in the fall I was driving home from a friend's after dark. One second I was turning a corner, the next second my car had been taken over by a force of its own where I had no control! I could not steer, brakes didn't work, my immediate thought was put my head back on the head rest and cover my face with my arms. Thank heavens for a man made barrier with trees! It was out in the country on a two lane road.

People were running to me before my car had fully stopped. I thought a deer had run into me. As it turned out, a tall/high vehicle had run me off the road and kept on going! I was not hurt. Thank you God! Had to have a new front end and driver's side replaced. Cars can be fixed much easier than people!

Moral to story, I was so stunned and dazed, even though I had not hit my head, I had to sit a few minutes to calm down. So, had it been in water, I don't believe I could have helped myself. Forget adrenaline, that sure didn't kick in!

Or will the pure shock/feat of the situation make me incapable of logical thinking?

this unfortunately is the most likely outcome,

not that i have ever been in this situation before but natural instinct will instruct your body to do what it has done in the past,

so how have most people exited their vehicles in the past?.....if you are like most people, that is by opening the door, not the window,

panic mode will make you try to open the door, and opening the door is impossible to do when a vehicle is sinking because of the force of the water on the outside against the door,

it is only possible to open the door after the entire inside of the vehicle fills with water,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back