Bahamas - Plane with 2 adults, 2 children missing east of Eleuthera, 15 May 2017

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
A mother and her two children are missing, along with their plane, in the Bahamas.

The Coast Guard is searching for the missing aircraft about 37 miles east of Eleuthera.

On board are Nathan Ulrich, Jennifer Blumin and her two sons, aged 4 and 10. All four are from New York.

Miami Air Traffic Control notified the Coast Guard when the MU-2B plane lost radio contact and disappeared from radar Monday at 2 p.m. It was lost at 24,000 feet, at a speed of 300 knots.

The plane left Borinquen, Puerto Rico, Monday morning at 11, and was en route to Titusville where it was reported overdue.

http://cbs12.com/news/local/mother-children-and-plane-missing-in-the-bahamas

1494948888057.jpg

Picture of overdue aircraft, MU-2B airplane, tail number N220N.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...-with-couple-2-boys-missing-near-bahamas.html

Pilot Nathan Ulrich, 52, of New Hampshire, and Jennifer Blumin, 40, of New York, who is the Founder and CEO of event management firm, Skylight Group, along with her sons, Phineas, four, and two-year-old Theodore, were identified as the people onboard.

As of 2015, Blumin was living in Tribeca with her husband James Ramsey, a principal of the design studio Raad. The pair have two sons together, four-year-old Phineas and two-year-old Theodore.

But the couple’s 19th-century Tribeca loft went on the market earlier this month for $3.7 million.

Ulrich, who was piloting the plane, is the Founder and owner of Xootr, a manufacturer of folding kick scooters and folding bicycles.
He is also a mechanical engineer graduate of the University of Pennsylvania.

According to his Instagram page, Ulrich owns a Cirrus SR20, a piston-engine plane that seats between four and five people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ple-aboard-missing-Bahamas.html#ixzz4hGSlRG7Y

Such a sad case.

Too many people ending up in the ocean lately. What a horrible way to go. In a weird sort of way you hope they went quickly and didnt suffer in the water very long. I have an irrational fear of ending up in the ocean with no rescue and slowly dying in the ocean.

A crash from a plane probably had a quick ending for their sake. It is sad no matter.

Prayers for their families.

Pilot Nathan Ulrich, 52, of New Hampshire, and Jennifer Blumin, 40, of New York, who is the Founder and CEO of event management firm, Skylight Group, along with her sons, Phineas, four, and two-year-old Theodore, were identified as the people onboard.

As of 2015, Blumin was living in Tribeca with her husband James Ramsey, a principal of the design studio Raad. The pair have two sons together, four-year-old Phineas and two-year-old Theodore.

But the couple’s 19th-century Tribeca loft went on the market earlier this month for $3.7 million.

Ulrich, who was piloting the plane, is the Founder and owner of Xootr, a manufacturer of folding kick scooters and folding bicycles.
He is also a mechanical engineer graduate of the University of Pennsylvania.

According to his Instagram page, Ulrich owns a Cirrus SR20, a piston-engine plane that seats between four and five people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ple-aboard-missing-Bahamas.html#ixzz4hGSlRG7Y

Cirrus is made in Minnesota. Don't they all have parachutes to help with issues?

Cirrus is made in Minnesota. Don't they all have parachutes to help with issues?

Good question. Some definitely do. Not sure if all of them do. Or maybe it did have one and maybe pilot deployed it but it still means they can be in the ocean and not sure if plane would float.

I believe if flying over water then sometimes a life raft would be on board but that is an awful lot to try to make happen if you ditch a plane in the water. You would have to work quickly.

Here is a video of the parachute in a real life plane incident.

http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/accidents/cirrus-sr22-parachute-deployment-caught-video

This is such a good thought Human.
I did a little more checking and I think you maybe right if they got this aircraft after they started building planes with this feature because this link below calls it "standard equipment" on their planes.

No wonder their aircraft is so popular. If I was buying a plane I surely would want one with this feature.

I hope searchers realize they had this feature because these people had a good chance of surviving the impact if they used a parachute.

From link below

"No other certified general aviation aircraft manufacturer in the world provides this safety feature as standard equipment. In the event of an in-flight emergency, pulling the red CAPS handle on the ceiling inside the cockpit deploys a solid-fuel rocket out a hatch that covers the concealed compartment where the parachute is stored. As the rocket carries the parachute rearward from the back of the airplane, the embedded CAPS airplane harness straps release from the fuselage. Within seconds, the 65′ diameter canopy will unfurl, controlling the aircraft rate of descent. The final landing is absorbed by the specialized landing gear, a roll cage and Cirrus Energy Absorbing Technology (CEAT™) seats."

https://cirrusaircraft.com/innovation/airframe-parachute/

From the first post in this thread I think he had taken out the Mitsibishi plane because we see this.

"Miami Air Traffic Control notified the Coast Guard when the MU-2B plane lost radio contact and disappeared from radar Monday at 2 p.m."

The MU-2B is Mitsubishi plane. So even though his instagram said he owned a Cirrus I am guessing the MU-2B is the plane he was flying.

Its probably pretty common for pilots to get access to different planes at times. So I am guessing this one MU-2B probably did not have a chute.

Cirrus manufacturer is making chutes but I dont think the Mitsubishi MU-2B would have one.

The other interesting thing I found is lots of links are saying the MU-2B is a dangerous airplane with many accidents. Seems very hard to fly one of these.

http://www.flyingmag.com/safety/training/dangerous-airplanes-or-dangerous-pilots

I can't even imagine the terror. I can't. :(

Oh how terrible! :(

How close to land did they vanish?

Is the son 2 or 10 years old - different reports (post 1 and 2)? A 2 year old would hardly stand a chance, if (big if!) they all ended up in the water alive.

How is the sea today? Calm? Choppy? Temperature?

Praying!!

http://www.cp24.com/world/plane-with-4-on-board-from-new-york-missing-in-bahamas-1.3415857

attachment.php

MIAMI - Authorities were searching Tuesday in the Bahamas for a small overdue plane with four people from the U.S. on board, including two children.

The U.S. Coast Guard says the twin-engine MU-2B was east of the island of Eleuthera on Monday when air traffic control in Miami lost radar and radio contact with the plane. It was en route from Puerto Rico and never made it to its destination of Titusville, along the northeastern coast of Florida.
The people on board the plane were identified as Nathan Ulrich, 53, of Lee, New Hampshire, and Jennifer Blumin of New York, along with her 4-year-old and 10-year-old sons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 159
Is there absolutely no way they survived this crash?

Oh how terrible! :(

How close to land did they vanish?

Is the son 2 or 10 years old - different reports (post 1 and 2)? A 2 year old would hardly stand a chance, if (big if!) they all ended up in the water alive.

How is the sea today? Calm? Choppy? Temperature?

Praying!!

You are right. The ages are confusing.
There were two male children. One report said ages 4 and 10 and the next report said the ages were 2 and 4.
I'm still hoping and praying that they will be found alive.

Coast guard south of FL has been busy these past couple days looking for people. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz
Back