georgiagirl

Opinionated Southern Belle
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 170DFTN

MChildress.jpg
MChildress1.jpg
MChildress2.jpg

Left and Center: Childress in 1987; Right: Age-progressed image of Childress at age 18 (circa 2001)

Marlena Danyele Childress
Missing since April 16, 1987 from Union City, Obion County, Tennessee.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: February 17, 1983
Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 38 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown straight hair; blue / hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Pierced ears.
Clothing: Light purple pants, a purple and white shirt and pink jelly-style shoes.
<LI>Dentals: She has silver caps on upper and lower front teeth.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Childress disappeared while playing in the front yard of her Union City, Tennessee home on April 16, 1987.
When Childress disappeared, hundreds of people volunteered to search for her. Several weeks later, the search halted abruptly when her mother, Pamela Bailey, confessed to accidentally killing her daughter. She told police she threw the body into the Obion River, but no body was found, and Bailey later recanted the confession.
In April of 2002, Bailey was charged with stabbing her 12-year-old son in a cemetery. She has pleaded innocent.
Bailey's son, Casey, said his mother had told him she had a surprise for him and to be home from a friend's house by 7:30 pm the night he was stabbed. Shortly after 8:00, while driving the three miles toward Arnett Cemetery, Bailey told Casey to put a blue handkerchief around his eyes. The stabbing is believed to have occurred between 8:30 and 9:00. Bailey sat her blindfolded son by a cemetery marker with the inscription "son" before she stabbed him in the neck and shoulder with a knife. At that time he felt a cut in the right side of his neck, and was able to kick his mother and run to the nearest house.
Bailey's son was released from a hospital the day after the stabbing and remains with his father.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Childress' disappearance, please contact:
Obion County Sheriff's Department
Captain Stan Murphy
901-885-5832

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

NCIC Number:
M-244548958
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
MSNBC News

Return to the Unexplained Disappearances' Index

This is unbelievable and so cruel and unnecessary.

I presume 'Mum' had a history of mental illness?

Was the mother ever charged with anything in her daughters disappearance? Where was the father? Did the brother notice anything when his sister disappeared?

I wonder what on earth has happened to the mother! Is she in a secure unit? Is she roaming the streets? I shudder to think!

Sometimes people do confess to crimes they have not committed. There was a case from the 1980s when a little girl named Michelle Dorr disappeared, and a few days later her father had a nervous breakdown, and said he'd killed her. His confession was believeable, as he and Michelle's mom were involved in a nasty divorce, and the cops had already considered that he might have killed the kid to get back at the mother.

But Mr. Dorr hadn't killed Michelle. Someone else had. That person was later convicted, and lead the cops to where he'd hidden her body.

So it's not entirely out of this ballpark that Ms. Bailey had nothing to do with Marlena's disappearance. The attack on her son makes her confession seem more likely, but one could argue that having a missing child would drive most parents crazy, hence her later actions.

I wonder what on earth has happened to the mother! Is she in a secure unit? Is she roaming the streets? I shudder to think!
According to this March 2003 article, she was sentenced to ten years in prison for stabbing her son but she was eligible for parole 13 months later due to precious jail time served - http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAAIBAJ&dq=pamela-lynn-bailey&pg=5848,5679417

This 1990 article confirms that Pam Bailey was in hospital for stress and depression weeks prior to Marlena's disappearance - http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...BAJ&pg=4874,852163&dq=marlena-childress&hl=en

Also, It looks like Marlena's brother Casey posted on the Sitcoms Online Message board and left an email address offering to talk about Marlena and his mother, Pam - http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=218554

What's interesting though is this post on that Sitcoms Online thread - http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showpost.php?p=3812597&postcount=2 - there is talk of Marlena's grandparents receiving a threatening phone call telling them to give up the search. Also, the family Marlena was allegedly sighted with in Alabama - a social worker was called to visit them after a complaint of neglect and said a little girl gave her name as Marlena Childress. She recognised her from missing posters but the next day when authorities turned up the family had gone. When they surfaced in Florida two weeks later they claimed it was a different girl the social worker must have seen. How was that allowed to happen? Who were that family? I think they needed to be investigated harder but 20 years have passed.....

Such a sad story. We can only hope somehow there is a happy ending.

I checked the Kentucky Department of Corrections - she is no longer a prisoner according to the online lookup system...she should have had to serve out her time considering the crime and the circumstances surrounding the child's dissapearance.

West Tenn. child missing 25 years, case open

As the disappearance of Marlena Childress from her Union City home reaches its 25th anniversary, the lead investigator says he thinks about her every day.

More: http://www.theleafchronicle.com/usatoday/article/39050077

Girl Missing For Almost 25 Years, Police Still Searching

This year marked 25 years since Marlena Childress disappeared in what could only be called a very strange case.

More: http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/GirlMissingForAlmost25YearsPoliceStillSearching-139554368.html

MARLENA CHILDRESS from Union City Tennessee is still missing

Pamela Bailey is now 57 and living in an apartment in Lexington, Kentucky. There is no doubt in my mind she got away with murder. She was also lucky in just about every way possible when it came to the law and accountability. Charges dropped in Marlena's death despite the confession; then she barely serves a sentence for blindfolding and stabbing her son in a cemetery. Everything points to Pamela. I wish they would try her again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back