PA PA - Philadelphia, BlkFem 4-6, UP16611, Amputated Finger, Wht apron, in milk crate, May'62

Migmuu

Reaction score
UP#16611

I was going through the recent listings on NamUs when I came across this case. What stood out was the brutality of this child's murder and the odd similarity to another, more well-known UID case, although I doubt they are related.

Demographics
Race: Black/African American
Sex: Female
Height: 3'4
Weight: 38 lbs

Circumstances
May 3, 1962
Location: Schuylkill River near Passyunk Ave, Philadelphia, PA
Found in a milk box floating in the Schuylkill River. She had been decapitated (head never recovered). Fourth finger on her right hand was amputated and covered with a bandage. She was covered with a white apron. Also inside the box was a copy of the Sunday paper.

Physical/Medical
N/A

Clothing/Accessories
White apron, Sunday paper

No identifiers are available.

I was able to dig up three articles about the murder. Here is the album: http://imgur.com/a/vlclP

Some important details:
The newspaper was dated March 11, 1962.
The articles cite the postmortem interval as being 5 days to 2 months.
The fourth finger on her right hand had been partially amputated and was wrapped in tape and dressing.
The apron looked to be the kind used in a machine shop or something similar. Besides the apron, she was also covered in a clear blue sheet of plastic.
There were severe burns to her feet and back, leading police to believe her killer tried to incinerate her body first. Ugh, that poor baby.

I found three more articles: http://imgur.com/a/0kh0w

The police believed at the time that she could be 6 y/o Hattie Yvonne Jackson , who was abducted in Washington D.C. in July 1961, 10 months before this little girl was found. Hattie is still missing and is the only child I know of who matches the timing and physical description. I can't find any articles that say she was ruled out.

Hattie was on NamUs, but for some reason, her profile has been removed (even though there's no news of her being found). I have no idea if she has prints on file, although I doubt it due to her young age. It's possible that they simply weren't able to compare the two girls due to lack of identifiers.

The police believed at the time that she could be 6 y/o Hattie Yvonne Jackson , who was abducted in Washington D.C. in July 1961, 10 months before this little girl was found. Hattie is still missing and is the only child I know of who matches the timing and physical description. I can't find any articles that say she was ruled out.

Honestly, if it isn't official that Hattie was ruled out, I think it's a strong possibility. However, I do think we should keep an eye out to see if she's eventually ruled out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I found three more articles: http://imgur.com/a/0kh0w

Hattie was on NamUs, but for some reason, her profile has been removed (even though there's no news of her being found). I have no idea if she has prints on file, although I doubt it due to her young age. It's possible that they simply weren't able to compare the two girls due to lack of identifiers.
Holy jeez. Why didn't that quote. Anyways, the first half was quoted from Migmuu. 🙄

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Poor baby. I doubt her family would have reported her missing, and I can't say that I fault them for it: being black people, in the United States, in the early 1960s, the police probably would not have listened anyway.

It's a horrible case, I am surprised I haven't read about it before.

I doubt that the girl is Hattie Jackson, because of the time gap of nearly a year (article says the body had been in the water "between five days and two months").

I think it's possible that it could be Hattie. The interval seems a bit short to match Hattie's disappearance but given Hattie's young age, it's possible that her abductor wasn't too concerned about being reported so he might not have killed her right away.

There was a suspect in Hattie's case, a Thomas Welton Holland. A link to that article is in Hattie's thread. I haven't done much research on him so I'm not sure if he had ties to Philadelphia but he was on the FBI 10 Most Wanted for a time before he was arrested in Kansas on June 2 1962. He had a history of crimes against children as well as burglary. So it is possible, if he were Hattie's abductor, that seeing his face in the papers might have prompted him to kill because he knew he was being hunted and didn't want to be caught with her.

Just a possibility but I wouldn't rule her out based on interval alone.

There are a couple other things besides the 10-month gap that make it unlikely to be Hattie. She would have been about two years outside of the age range and was four inches too short. Normally, those would only be small discrepancies in a UID case, but they're significant in a very young child.

An article published on May 20, 1962 also says Hattie was ruled out.

I hope cases like this where the children are a victim to possibly their family and likely not reported missing get their DNA put on Ancestral DNA sites where they can be matched to a relative and their family can find out what actually happened to their missing aunt/cousin or relative they were never told about.

I sincerely hope that the investigating unit in Philadelphia begins to release information regarding this little "girl in the box". I also hope to see as much attention given to finding out who she is as the "boy in the box - America's unknown child". She has been exhumed almost a year ago and shipped to Florida for forensic purposes. I would assume some information has been obtained. The fact that she was decapitated will make the work of the forensic team a lot more difficult. (head never found) I will try to contact the Vidocq Society to see if they intend to set up a web site etc. for this little girl's case. Unfortunately, the Vidocq Society can be difficult to contact and receive a response, however, I will try. If anyone else out there on web sleuths has a contact at the Vidocq Society, give it a try too. I will post any information received.

I think that the likelihood of this being a case of child abuse resulting in death or other parricide is extremely high and that she was not kidnapped.

If this theory is true, the only hope we have of this case being resolved is that there were other people around besides whoever killed her who have noticed her absence and who speak up about it five and a half decades later.

I think that the likelihood of this being a case of child abuse resulting in death or other parricide is extremely high and that she was not kidnapped.

If this theory is true, the only hope we have of this case being resolved is that there were other people around besides whoever killed her who have noticed her absence and who speak up about it five and a half decades later.

I agree. When a little kid goes missing and their disappearance goes unreported, it’s almost always the parents/caregivers who are responsible.

57 years later, there probably aren’t many people left who can come forward and say they recognize her. Her best bet is going to be familial DNA.

Is it possible her finger was sent to someone to torture them? Like a vindictive ex-husband killing the child to punish the mother. Or was it another attempt at removing identity that was soon abandoned?

With all these attempts to erase her identity (unsuccessful incineration, decapitation), this was deffinitely done by a relative. If it was a random kidnapping, child's identity wouldn't matter as much.

I agree. When a little kid goes missing and their disappearance goes unreported, it’s almost always the parents/caregivers who are responsible.

57 years later, there probably aren’t many people left who can come forward and say they recognize her. Her best bet is going to be familial DNA.

I wouldn't count on that, wouldn't be the first time cops would have refuswd to take a report. especially if the kid was black.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back