IRELAND: 7 mth old baby girl dies after being left in car on hottest day of the year

skibaboo

Mrs Map
Reaction score
Baby dies in County Tipperary after being found in a hot car

A baby girl has died in Ireland after being found in a car on the hottest day of the year.

The seven-month-old had been airlifted to hospital from the village of Dundrum in County Tipperary.

Irish police said emergency services had responded to a 999 call after the child was found "unresponsive".

She was flown by helicopter to University Hospital in Limerick but pronounced dead a short time later.

It is understood the baby was due to be dropped off at a creche on Thursday morning but did not arrive.

Her father, who works in a local steelworks, is reported to have returned to his car after lunchtime.

Police, who described it as "a personal tragedy" and "very sensitive", are liaising with the family.

Don't want to jump to any conclusions but BBM sounds eerily similar to Ross/Cooper Harris :(

I really have great difficulty in believing that people forget that they have a baby in the car.

I really have great difficulty in believing that people forget that they have a baby in the car.

Have you ever read Gene Weingarten's article? I think he won a Pulitzer for it. Anyway, before I read it I had no idea either, but after reading it I have more of an understanding how it can and does happen. Not to say it's never intentional - I'm sure that happens.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?

I had to look up what creche means in British English even thought I could tell by context. Not that same as what it means in American vernacular...

Living in Arizona, this happens far far too often (and pool drownings, ugh, the numbers each year) so I had to learn about why it happens too. I don't have kids and just could not understand. Appreciate the article you posted, BS. I, too, encourage others to read it!

I had a SIDs baby and although, intellectually, I know I was not to blame, I still feel some guilt or shame or something.

I am so very sorry to hear that. :hug: I really am. I know how hard it is to get through that kind of grief.

I had 3 miscarriages and blamed myself as well. It is hard to disconnect grief from guilt sometimes....:rose:

There are so many Instances where babies are left in a car. I've always been of the opinion that if the baby was u intentionally left the that the parent is suffering enough for their actions. Although with the Ross case the intent was totally different and I have no problem with him being charged with murder.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Ok I'm ready to start the campaign of tying a teather from the baby's ankle to the parents wrist (with slack of course) if thats what we have to do to help people remember their kids!!!!

Can't someone come up with something? Auto manufactures have a seat belt dingy when you don't have your seat belt on what about one that dings when the seat belt remains bucked in the back seat when car is placed in park? idk

ETA - anyone steals my idea and makes millions, remember me:)

Ok I'm ready to start the campaign of tying a teather from the baby's ankle to the parents wrist (with slack of course) if thats what we have to do to help people remember their kids!!!!

Can't someone come up with something? Auto manufactures have a seat belt dingy when you don't have your seat belt on what about one that dings when the seat belt remains bucked in the back seat when car is placed in park? idk

ETA - anyone steals my idea and makes millions, remember me:)

There are 2 simple things that I know do work.

One is a 10 dollar visor mirror---clips to the drivers window visor---you can adjust it so you can SEE the car seat just by looking up a few inches. It is pretty hard to ignore your child while driving when they are in your field of vision.

Also, my mother had a system she used which my kids loved. She came and helped me when our 2nd baby was born. She put a big huge pink teddy bear in the car seat. When she put the baby in the car seat, she moved the teddy to the front passenger seat. That way she always knew what a baby was in the seat when she stopped the car. Hard to ignore a huge hot pink teddy right next to you.

It happened to a woman I know about 2 months ago. I cried and sobbed for two days-- can't even imagine how she feels. After that, I read the article referenced above and I can say it can happen to anyone.

It happened to a heart surgeon a few years ago... I think in Texas? Got called into emergency surgery on the way to the daycare and he completely forgot the baby was in the car.

My friend has been posting photos of her child lately. It's so heartbreaking. I just keep posting that we love her and put the heart emoji.

I really have come to believe it can happen to anyone. This lady is the most caring, loving person. If anything, she had too much on her mind. This particular day she had also made lunch for her office, her husband was offshore working and she had to bring the older kids to school. (Her routine was different)

I have heard when they made the announcement for the owner of the car to come outside, she dropped everything and ran out screaming like it hit her that her child was still in the car.

I was out of town for the funeral, which is just as well. I don't think I could have handled going...

Have you ever read Gene Weingarten's article? I think he won a Pulitzer for it. Anyway, before I read it I had no idea either, but after reading it I have more of an understanding how it can and does happen. Not to say it's never intentional - I'm sure that happens.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?

That was indeed a hard read - and very disturbing to say the least.

I have heard of one common solution to the problem.

That is for the parent to leave all mobile devices and handbag (for men, the wallet) in the backseat where the child is.

That way, they cannot forget their child when they have to park the car and get out.

Oh it'll also cut down on the ever increasing number of accidents caused by distracted drivers on their mobile devices.

That was indeed a hard read - and very disturbing to say the least.

I have heard of one common solution to the problem.

That is for the parent to leave all mobile devices and handbag (for men, the wallet) in the backseat where the child is.

That way, they cannot forget their child when they have to park the car and get out.

Oh it'll also cut down on the ever increasing number of accidents caused by distracted drivers on their mobile devices.

Good idea! I recently looked at a Dodge Charger - it has the USB ports in the backseat. I thought it was smart - less chance of using your devices while driving. An added bonus would be keeping your devices near your kids.

Although I wonder if people would just start forgetting their phones. I rarely know where mine is.

[bbm]

great idea!

One is a 10 dollar visor mirror---clips to the drivers window visor---you can adjust it so you can SEE the car seat just by looking up a few inches. It is pretty hard to ignore your child while driving when they are in your field of vision.

Also, my mother had a system she used which my kids loved. She came and helped me when our 2nd baby was born. She put a big huge pink teddy bear in the car seat. When she put the baby in the car seat, she moved the teddy to the front passenger seat. That way she always knew what a baby was in the seat when she stopped the car. Hard to ignore a huge hot pink teddy right next to you.

As to the bolded...My granddaughter is 15 months old and I suggested a mirror and my DIL said that it was discouraged by the hospital class they took saying its too easy to be distracted while driving. Possible accident. I personally said bull hockey but I was overruled by hospital nurses classes for parents. idk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back