What is on your itinerary?

MzOpinion8d

Former Member
Reaction score
I'm signed up for the Steven Avery Experience, even though I'm not sure I can stand being in the same room with Kratz.

Planning to see the LISK presentation if possible, and the FBI Crime Scene Dive Team.

I'm also interested in the Jury Experience and the meet & greet with Kelly Siegler.

I think I may attend the Tricia Todd Murder presentation instead of Citizen Detectives...I followed that case closely.

And F. Lee Bailey?! How cool is that?

I had a difficult time figuring out what to do at certain points because there were often at least two things I wanted to be at. But, here's our itinerary:

Friday:
Steven Avery Experience
The Long Island Serial Killer
Cold Case Research 101
Jim Clemente
Aphrodite Jones
Real Crime Profile Live
Murder Mystery (Late Seating)

Saturday:
Websleuths Radio Live
The Golden State Serial Killer
Jon Ronson
Maura Murray
Up&Vanished
Ken Kratz
Blood Splatter
Cold Justice
Cocktail Hour

Sunday:
Wine & Crime (Bloody Mary Edition)
Escape the Room (11:15 reservation)
Tricia Todd Murder/Citizen Detectives (not sure but really interested in the Todd session!)

We have a pet having surgery today, so I'm going to end up driving in later and leaving earlier than I had originally planned, so I can be home when he needs his medicine. But I am tentatively planning:

Friday:
Cold Case Research 101 (this is the one I'm most excited about)
All the "Day in a Life of..." sessions
Protecting Yourself from CyberCrimes

Saturday:
Golden State Serial Killer
Harold Schecter (I'm also an English prof, and I'm interested to know how the true crime author stuff goes over when it comes to tenure)
Midwest Search & Rescue Dogs
Kirk Nurmi: Trials in the Social Media Era

I'm too shy to go to any of the book signings or interactive sessions, and I don't listen to any podcasts, so no live tapings or podcast sessions for me (besides, I would be sure to have a huge coughing fit and screw up the taping for everyone, because that's just how my life goes). Although I might make an exception and go to the VANISHED: Tara Calico session, because I'm from New Mexico and followed her (and Michael Henley's) case closely when they first happened.

If things go well pet-wise (paws crossed!), then I may drive back in on Sunday for:
How I Solved a Homicide
Citizen Detectives 101

Also hoping to get up the courage to go to the WS and Reddit meet-ups. (I'm just a lurker when it comes to life. Just look at my WS stats--I've been a member for like 13 years, and barely have 200 posts. I'm even more shy IRL.)

I swear when the schedule first came out there was supposed to be a session on Crime Scene Clean-Up, and I was hugely excited about that one, but I think it got cancelled? (or maybe I just imagined it)

MzOpinion8d and texasgirl2, it looks like we'll be at some of the same sessions. Give me a holler if you see me! I'll be the chubby middle-aged woman with long frizzy reddish hair. I look like Stevie Nicks, if Stevie Nicks was an awkward ginger hippie librarian dressed to go to a funeral in an outfit she bought at Sears--

We have a pet having surgery today, so I'm going to end up driving in later and leaving earlier than I had originally planned, so I can be home when he needs his medicine. But I am tentatively planning:

Friday:
Cold Case Research 101 (this is the one I'm most excited about)
All the "Day in a Life of..." sessions
Protecting Yourself from CyberCrimes

Saturday:
Golden State Serial Killer
Harold Schecter (I'm also an English prof, and I'm interested to know how the true crime author stuff goes over when it comes to tenure)
Midwest Search & Rescue Dogs
Kirk Nurmi: Trials in the Social Media Era

I'm too shy to go to any of the book signings or interactive sessions, and I don't listen to any podcasts, so no live tapings or podcast sessions for me (besides, I would be sure to have a huge coughing fit and screw up the taping for everyone, because that's just how my life goes). Although I might make an exception and go to the VANISHED: Tara Calico session, because I'm from New Mexico and followed her (and Michael Henley's) case closely when they first happened.

If things go well pet-wise (paws crossed!), then I may drive back in on Sunday for:
How I Solved a Homicide
Citizen Detectives 101

Also hoping to get up the courage to go to the WS and Reddit meet-ups. (I'm just a lurker when it comes to life. Just look at my WS stats--I've been a member for like 13 years, and barely have 200 posts. I'm even more shy IRL.)

I swear when the schedule first came out there was supposed to be a session on Crime Scene Clean-Up, and I was hugely excited about that one, but I think it got cancelled? (or maybe I just imagined it)

MzOpinion8d and texasgirl2, it looks like we'll be at some of the same sessions. Give me a holler if you see me! I'll be the chubby middle-aged woman with long frizzy reddish hair. I look like Stevie Nicks, if Stevie Nicks was an awkward ginger hippie librarian dressed to go to a funeral in an outfit she bought at Sears--

When is the Vanished: Tara Calico session? I totally missed that and now I may need to move stuff around!! I am most looking forward to the cold case stuff myself!

Mouse, I am soooooo going to be looking for you!! [emoji6]. I'll PM you when we get to Indy and we can figure out better descriptions & I'll come introduce myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When is the Vanished: Tara Calico session? I totally missed that and now I may need to move stuff around!! I am most looking forward to the cold case stuff myself!

Mouse, I am soooooo going to be looking for you!! [emoji6]. I'll PM you when we get to Indy and we can figure out better descriptions & I'll come introduce myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's at 3pm on Saturday. I think. There's also an "Up and Vanished: The Tara Grinstead Case" session on the same day, and I keep getting my Taras confused when I look at the scheduler--

Greetings All -

It sounds like everyone attended a great many sessions and panels ... I wonder if you could be so kind as to "review" some of them? Which did you feel were the best? Which would you have skipped? Who was the most engaging speaker? etc.

I've got tickets to CrimeCon '18 and wasn't able to attend the first one, so am interested in any opinions you might care to share.

I thank you in advance.

Hi Turtlex! I'm just now seeing your post, sorry! I commented on one of the other threads about our experience so I went and copied it for you and added it down below.

To your questions: I don't know that there are any sessions I would have skipped that we actually attended. I learned something from every single one and walked away inspired. Tricia mentioned on the other thread that it was a fun weekend and it really doesn't make sense when you are talking about some seriously heavy and emotional content. But it really was! Plus, it is so inspiring to be around like-minded people who truly care about victims and people they might not have ever met. I met some of the nicest people there and had so many amazing conversations about cases. My brain was fried by the end of it because the sessions were emotional, exhausting, inspiring and informative. I took notes at every session but I'm a nerd like that. ;)

Most engaging speaker? Tough to choose. Jim Clemente was AMAZING and Sheryl McCollum is the bee's knees IMO. I could listen to them speak all day....

Here is some other info from my post in the other thread:

CrimeCon posted a blog with daily recaps: https://www.crimecon.com/blog/ This will kinda explain what went on every day. It's mostly the highlights.

We had an AMAZING time. I highly, highly, HIIIIIIIIIIGHLY recommend this event! It was so much fun & I can't imagine ever having to miss one of these. It was especially great getting to meet Tricia and some of our fellow WSers. Of course they were the sweetest people ever!

As for the sessions--Kratz & Fassbender was interesting. It didn't make me change my mind about Brendan Dassey's innocence but I did find some of the presentation interesting. For example, when they showed parts that the documentary left out....it definitely made me wonder why the documentary snipped parts out to make it look damning. Kratz was ummm.....funnier than I expected. Personable, almost. Still not a big fan though! Sheryl McCollum's Wine & Crime was one of my favorites. We were able to go over a cold case they are working on. Including getting all of the inside information they have along with crime scene photos. (I would have liked that session to be longer. Sheryl is amazing & I could spend all day listening to her and her team.) Tricia's session on Citizen Detectives was on point! Y'all would have loved hearing what she had to say. I really enjoyed it and attended that over the Tricia Todd session (which I was also really interested in). We also attended: Aphrodite Jones' session on Scott Peterson, The Golden State Serial Killer session--very, very emotional! (You can watch the Golden State Serial Killer session on YouTube.)

We also attended the LISK session, Up & Vanished with Payne Lindsay, Jim Clemente session (AMAZING man....LOVED him!!), Kelly Siegler's session, & Missing Maura Murray. All were great! We also ran into other sessions to catch some tidbits as we could. Our schedule was busy though!!

What I liked best about the Con was that the guest speakers didn't just speak at their session and go up to their rooms. We mingled, rubbed elbows & hung out with the speakers all weekend. You'd see people in the hallways, hanging out in the bar downstairs, sitting in Starbucks or even in the elevator going up to their room at night. Nancy Grace was everywhere (she is SUPER sweet in person and I loved getting to chat with her about Missy Bevers), Jim Clemente was almost always within eyesight, and Aphrodite Jones was also always around--taking photos and chatting. Podcast row was open a lot so really, getting to meet anyone you wanted was super easy and you had time to chat with them. We met almost everyone there, in person....except Kratz & Fassbender.

VIP Gold was definitely worth it! We always had a seat. We had access to the VIP Lounge to get a water & snack whenever we needed it (our days were full so this was a big plus). And, the Murder Mystery dinner, Escape the Room (we got out!), Wine & Crime, & the VIP Happy Hour (with most of the speakers & podcasters) was a nice way to spend the evening after a super long day of sessions. At night, we were EXHAUSTED. Almost too exhausted to figure out the weekend-long crime. After everything settled down at night, I just felt like I had so much information in my brain.....so much to think about. It was exhausting but in a good way!

Hope that helps Turtlex! Look forward to meeting you! :)

Is there a place to see the itinerary for Crimecon 18 in Nashville? If so, would you be able to provide a link or direct me to the location of the itinerary?

Is there a place to see the itinerary for Crimecon 18 in Nashville? If so, would you be able to provide a link or direct me to the location of the itinerary?

They haven't provided one yet. ;) It will be released closer to the event. Last year, I believe we got them about a month before?

Looking forward to CrimeCon 2018. We will be there to talk about developments in the unsolved Colonial Parkway Murders.

Bill Thomas,
Brother of Cathleen Thomas,
Colonial Parkway Murders

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member