Something's gotta' give ...

OriginalJerseyGirl

CERTIFIED FLYERS FANATIC!
Reaction score
If there is anyone reading that has ANY information whatsoever, please contact LE. No matter how small or insignificant you might think your information is, perhaps it could be the missing piece that ties everything together.

There is a little boy that will be celebrating Christmas without his Mommy. There is another child that will never even know Christmas. Please think of these children over the holidays and think of all of the loved ones that have been left behind. Search your memories and your hearts to see if there is anything that you might have to tell LE. Please - for the sake of these children, help to find justice for them.

Does anybody have the info of the detective on the case? If so, please post it so that any members or lurkers can contact LE!

If anyone has any tips, heard rumors, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you, heard anything inconsistent with the facts of the case, noticed any suspicious behavior by anyone that may have known Janet, please contact Durham County Police Department or you may anonymously contact CrimeStoppers.

Durham County Police Department

Durham Police Headquarters

Central District Substation
505 West Chapel Hill Street

Durham, NC 27701

Telephone Number: 1-919-560-4935
Facsimile: 1-919-560-1137 FAX

Criminal Investigations: 1-919-560-4440

Durham County CrimeStoppers:

Please contact CrimeStoppers to provide the confidential information necessary for the arrest of the person(s) who committed the reported crime. Remember, all information is confidential and the caller always remains anonymous.

Telephone Number: 1-919-683-1200

Telephone Number: 1-919-560-4935 any Detective in the Homocide unit can help you or you may ask directly for Detective Vaughn or Seargent Cates or you may contact Crimestoppers anonymously.

terminatrixator said:
If anyone has any tips, heard rumors, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you, heard anything inconsistent with the facts of the case, noticed any suspicious behavior by anyone that may have known Janet, please contact Durham County Police Department or you may anonymously contact CrimeStoppers.
Even if you don't know the facts or haven't noticed anything suspicious - if you spent time with Raven or Janet around the time of the murder on April 26, or have spent time with Raven since then, perhaps you should call LE. After 8 months, I imagine that they would be interested in hearing from anyone that knows the couple. You might have information that you don't even realize is important. If you know the couple, please call LE if you haven't been interviewed already.

Please forgive me for interrupting the thread but it just hit me that Janet would probably be having a Christmas baby, had they not been slaughtered.
Oh, man, I wish I hadn't read the part about 8 months passing.

JerseyGirl said:
Even if you don't know the facts or haven't noticed anything suspicious - if you spent time with Raven or Janet around the time of the murder on April 26, or have spent time with Raven since then, perhaps you should call LE. After 8 months, I imagine that they would be interested in hearing from anyone that knows the couple. You might have information that you don't even realize is important. If you know the couple, please call LE if you haven't been interviewed already.

JerseyGirl said:
Exactly, great point JG.

If you knew the couple at all, were a neighbor, worked on their vehicles, worked at a store they frequented, you may not know what information you may have, but it would be a great idea to contact LE with any information you may have, I'm sure the family would appreciate any help whatsoever in solving this extremely brutal crime.

Justice must be served for Janet Marie Christiansen and her precious baby she was carrying, Kaiden and the family & friends of Janet.

SOMEONE who knows SOMETHING has to come forward!

Was there a pawnbroker who took the laptop--as to my limited memory, that's still missing, isn't it?
Where's the knife? Has his entire "collection" been accounted for?
Is there a brother or sister protecting their own?
Is there a mother protecting her son?

My guess to the last 2 questions is, yes.

This is a quote from the latest article about crime in Durham/Raleigh:

"Though some of Raleigh's murders had head-turning twists, the number of killings was at the average level for the past nine years. Police investigated 20 murders in 2005, up from 15 in 2004, according to the Raleigh Police Department. The city's 2005 homicide rate was 5.8 murders per 100,000 residents, up from last year's rate of 4.7 murders per 100,000 residents. As of Sunday, police had made arrests or issued warrants in 18 of the 20 slayings."

What I read out of this is that there were no enormous amount of murders in 2005 then the average over the last nine years......so what is LE doing not arresting somebody on this case by now, it's not like they are overloaded???

What I read into this is that they have named POI or suspects in 18 out of 20 murders?....so what is LE doing not arresting somebody or naming somebody as a POI or suspect on this case by now, when it appears they only have 2 unsolved murders from 2005???

This just doesn't make sense to me. Why isn't any family crying out for LE to do something on this case? As several of us have previously stated, it it was my wife, daughter, daughter-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, niece, aunt, whatever, we'd be raising a loud and obnoxious stink until something was done! I don't know how the families can live each day knowing that the person who killed Janet and her child is still out there, living free....I think it would drive me crazy!

ewwwinteresting said:

"Though some of Raleigh's murders had head-turning twists, the number of killings was at the average level for the past nine years. Police investigated 20 murders in 2005, up from 15 in 2004, according to the Raleigh Police Department. The city's 2005 homicide rate was 5.8 murders per 100,000 residents, up from last year's rate of 4.7 murders per 100,000 residents. As of Sunday, police had made arrests or issued warrants in 18 of the 20 slayings."

What I read out of this is that there were no enormous amount of murders in 2005 then the average over the last nine years......so what is LE doing not arresting somebody on this case by now, it's not like they are overloaded???

What I read into this is that they have named POI or suspects in 18 out of 20 murders?....so what is LE doing not arresting somebody or naming somebody as a POI or suspect on this case by now, when it appears they only have 2 unsolved murders from 2005???

This just doesn't make sense to me. Why isn't any family crying out for LE to do something on this case? As several of us have previously stated, it it was my wife, daughter, daughter-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, niece, aunt, whatever, we'd be raising a loud and obnoxious stink until something was done! I don't know how the families can live each day knowing that the person who killed Janet and her child is still out there, living free....I think it would drive me crazy!
WOW, that's sobering to think that Janet is one out of two unsolved murders. I think that should be a HUGE wake up call. Whatever family and friends were actively doing before is not working now...the quiet strategy is not working. I really believe now is the time for media attention...especially now that he has a new girlfriend...how scary is that. If anyone could find out who she is, I think the only conscientious thing to do would be to warn her about him.

I have done some investigating on my own. There were 38 murders in Durham, NC in 2005. There are 8 full-time detectives on Durham’s force. Recently there was a child murdered, and an execution of 4 people. The way I believe LE works is when a crime is committed, (i.e. felonies, burglaries, homicides, rape, etc.) the detectives are pulled off the cases they are working on to work this new crime. Eventually it gets assigned to certain detective(s) and they all go back to their regular case load. Taking into consideration, these same 8 detectives have prior unsolved murders dating back probably over 20 years old, that they have assigned to them also, having 18 out of 20 POI’s and Suspects and the crimes that they solved just this year, I suppose they probably need a little help. Of course, I wish Janet Marie Christiansen and her unborn child’s murders were solved already.

Perhaps we should actually be petitioning Durham, NC Government for more Detectives and more help. These men and women do not work 9 - 5 and go home for the day, they are always on call. I highly doubt they sit around eating donuts and doing nothing all day. They were hired to serve and protect and I’m sure their salaries aren’t the greatest either for the amount of stress and danger they endure doing their job. I am also pretty sure the men and women working Janet's case have not forgotten her and want Justice also.

It is up to the DA to prosecute this case. Whatever they have would have to be turned over to the Defense in discovery. Defense does not have the same Rules to follow that a Prosecutor has to deal with. The scales of Justice are always tipped in the favor of the Defendant, especially in a CE case.

Since the MURDERER lived in the same home with the Victims, Janet Marie Christiansen and her unborn child, there won't be that much evidence there to pick and chose from, if there is no weapon, no recording, no video of the crime, no confession, there was no Witnesses; there is no "smoking gun." No matter what evidence LE may have some of it will be considered "Circumstantial Evidence."

Evidence of Raven's embezzlement and Raven's NUMEROUS Affairs will probably not be admissible, Raven's tendency towards violence will not be admissible, the other crimes he was a suspect in, (i.e. other embezzlement, setting his OWN car on fire as an insurance scam) will not be admissible as evidence in this case.

Pictures of Janet, Video's of Janet will probably not be admissible as evidence. The defense will object to anything that will HUMANIZE and show Janet as the young, vibrant, lovable, smart, talented woman she was. What you will see is a clean-cut Raven, with his MommyDearest by his side. You will hear what a wonderful guy Raven is. You will hear at court how Raven is involved in his Church. They will not show much of Janet's lifeless body to the jurors, they may not have to show any autopsy pictures at all as this could be information that will “inflame” the jury, and most of the above will not even be mentioned or shown at trial. THIS is how the Justice system works, it is geared toward the Defendant. The Defense attorney and the Defendant get to live by a completely different set of rules than the Prosecutor. The Defense will make sure that anything to do with Janet is not humanized, her clothing will not be called, shirt or bra it will be called exhibits. The defense will do everything possible to not even mention her name. The jury will not see or hear much about their marriage, only the fact that Raven loved his wife.

Considering these facts, I’m sure that LE needs to get as much evidence, including inconsistent statements as they can to convict The Raven. It does not mean they don’t have evidence, it means, they probably need more. I believe they are still dotting their I’s and crossing their T’s. I would rather they do this, than go forward to trial and lose the case because of the circumstantial nature of the case and slimy defense attorney tactics as many use any tactics they can, to get the criminal off.

I do believe that there are Friends and Family members of The Raven's that know something. I believe that publicly naming Raven as the POI or Suspect would definitely help out the situation. Raven is a Murderer and I have a feeling his friends and family are too afraid of this sociopath to come forward with any sort of inconsistent statements or information they may have. They are probably not only afraid of “The Raven”, but of MommyDearest.

Does anyone believe that having him named POI or Suspect would cause his family members or friends to come forward with any information? I would hope so, but have they come forward yet?

We have no clue what the Christiansen family has been told by LE. I do believe they have put their faith in LE. They also have Kaiden to consider. Their only way to see Kaiden is through The Raven, and I doubt he even lets them have any contact with him now. If this were my family member, I would probably follow LE's directive, and unless it happened to any of us, we cannot say what we would do. I may be screaming at the top of my lungs, and have gone to the media, but I also have not talked with LE and don’t know what the family may have been told.

The Detectives handling this case have absolutely nothing to gain by letting this murderer go free and I believe with all my heart they are working hard on this case. Justice will be served for Janet Marie Christiansen and her unborn child. I, like many of you wish we had Justice already, but until there is Justice, I will be one of many voices for Justice for Janet. Keep the Faith, and contact Durham Government.

I do believe Media Attention and having Raven Publicly Named POI or Suspect is the best way to go at this juncture, if The Raven runs, he'll get caught, and anyone that helps him will get caught too!

I am in no way saying the detectives of Durham/Raleigh are not working on this case. It just seems that after 8 1/2 months and NOTHING they should ask for help. Whatever they are doing doesn't seem to be working. They should ask for help from the public and the media. Maybe someone out there has the "smoking gun" information and doesn't know it because this case hasn't been in the media. I'm sure all the people of Durham have forgotten all about it. It's up to the family to keep Janet's name and memory alive. We all know raven and his family don't seem to care whether it is or not.

I do hope Janet's family is keeping in touch with LE and that LE is giving them the information they need to be comforted in knowing that Janet's murder will be solved and someone will pay for taking their young family member away from them. If LE was providing me with this, then you are right, term, I would listen to them. However, if they weren't, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the media or whomever I thought could help in bringing this tragedy to everyone's attention.....I have a feeling that tip line isn't ringing off the hook on this case since very few people even know about it!

Why don't some of you write "letters to the editor" in newspapers in that town in order to refresh the communitys memories? That really is one way to catch the towns peoples attention. Most people who get papers read "letters to the editor." You can't lose anything by writing to the papers and it could stir things up.

I just wonder if this case will ever be resolved. If they had evidence wouldn't they have arrested Raven already? Seems like it has been forever.

I disagree with the poster who said that Janet's picture won't be allowed in court...or videos or autopsy pictures. All of that will get in. It always does.
Remember Scott Peterson's trial? There were pictures of Laci...video and all of the autopsy pictures. The pros will do everything in their power to make Janet real to the jury....if the case ever gets to trial.

I'll bet Raven really thinks he is something if he is the killer. He probably figures that he is home free and clear. I sure hope he isn't right.

I do believe this case needs more attention and more important Raven gets publicly named the Suspect in this case you right Eww I agree wholeheartedly. After over 8 months, I expected an arrest in this case already, and I'm really upset over it too, and I'm pretty sure the family is also. Hopefully they are getting the information they need. I just know too many LE and I know how LE works and I know they are doing everything in their power to bring this sociopath to justice.

I just hope to god that his friends and family start coming forward with information, and because of the dynamic personality issues of many of the Raven's family, I think too many people would be afraid to come forward. I believe the answers lie in Utah, not NC any longer. That's what makes me ill.

I do remember Laci Peterson trial very much, most of the stuff regarding Laci was shown on the media, in the courtroom, however, it is a different deal. Somehow Stanislaus DA got that information entered into, because of the high profile of the case, sadly, until the family members are called to testify, you do not hear very much about the victim in MOST cases.

Many of the personal things of Janet's life will not be entered into as exhibits, and most of the time anything regarding humanizing Janet will be struck in pretrials.

I have worked for Defense and I know how they work, seriously, anything and everything will be done, to keep from using Janet's name, her clothing will be referred to as Exhibits not her shirt, I have seen it done time and time again. Go to a trial, watch how much personal affects of the victims are called exhibits, watch how they do not use the victim's name. MG rarely said the word Laci or Conner,

Most of the time autopsy pictures are scaled down to show just the injury, they do not show the entirety of the person to keep it from being something that may inflame the jury. The more they can dehumanize the victim the better it is for the defense.

I've worked that side of the field and know the end result, no matter the guilt or the innocence of the defendant, the main goal for the defense attorney is to get them off, at all costs, even if it is to make the victim into nothing more than an exhibit, or to make it seem it is the victims fault, look at child molestation case, look at serial killer cases, the blame usually gets put squarely on the victim somehow, someway, with defense anything and everything goes.

Thanks Bobbie, we went to the media already and will do so again and again. Raven thinks he got away with it, he hasn't, he will be brought to Justice, I hope that this gets to the DA and they are as good as Stanislaus DA was and they can humanize Janet and show Raven for what he really is - a Cold Blooded Murderer!

Trix,
I seriously don't understand how or why things like embezzlement, affairs, life insurance, could be eliminated from Janet's Murderer's Trial. Doesn't all of that information show a pattern, or at least that there was a money problem in their household? And doens't that money problem point to a possible reason to murder a wife? I don't get how it could be left out. Dang, why didn't I go to law school?

I guess this is yet another reason why there needs to be a little more media coverage on this case. I would think whatever it takes to get Raven brought to justice would be great.

Jenifred said:
Trix,
I seriously don't understand how or why things like embezzlement, affairs, life insurance, could be eliminated from Janet's Murderer's Trial. Doesn't all of that information show a pattern, or at least that there was a money problem in their household? And doens't that money problem point to a possible reason to murder a wife? I don't get how it could be left out. Dang, why didn't I go to law school?

I guess this is yet another reason why there needs to be a little more media coverage on this case. I would think whatever it takes to get Raven brought to justice would be great.

I know it's just TV, but since hubby and I disagree on most network TV shows, we end up watching a lot of A and E things like " City Confidential". " American Justice" and " Cold Case Files".
Unless things are grossly misrepresented in most of these shows, a suspect's circumstantial evidentiary behavior is usually admissable in court. IF they will try to build a case which shows that Janet was murdered either for life insurance or for the burden which another baby would put on the family, then the finances become an important part.

IF IF IF this ever goes to trial. IF IF IF anyone is ever even arrested and charged!!! I am losing faith in the R/D PD and the NC crime lab.

A WS'er who is a criminal attorney or a paralegal for an attorney could probably answer this definitely.

Bobbisangel said:
Why don't some of you write "letters to the editor" in newspapers in that town in order to refresh the communitys memories? That really is one way to catch the towns peoples attention. Most people who get papers read "letters to the editor." You can't lose anything by writing to the papers and it could stir things up.

I just wonder if this case will ever be resolved. If they had evidence wouldn't they have arrested Raven already? Seems like it has been forever.

I disagree with the poster who said that Janet's picture won't be allowed in court...or videos or autopsy pictures. All of that will get in. It always does.
Remember Scott Peterson's trial? There were pictures of Laci...video and all of the autopsy pictures. The pros will do everything in their power to make Janet real to the jury....if the case ever gets to trial.

I'll bet Raven really thinks he is something if he is the killer. He probably figures that he is home free and clear. I sure hope he isn't right.

I think that now that the major holidays are finally over, a letter writing campaign is in order. Keep in mind that the letters which will have the most impact are the ones to the congresspeople in Janet's district written by constituents.

I live FAR from NC, but can write to all the news media.
I'm going to write my letters now.
How about you? :)

Thank you for reading.
Think of Laura

JUSTICE for Janet Marie Christiansen and baby in 2006!

ewwwinteresting said:

E- Interesting,
I woud like to use your quote about the 2005 Raleigh/ Durham homicide stats in my letters to editiors and TV news desks. Do I have your permission to do so?
Also, can you please post the link for the source for the quote?
I think it is a huge eye-opener.. It makes me sick that her case is falling by the wayside.
Thank you!

Think of Laura

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie