NC NC - Smithfield, Neuse River, WhtMale 25-35, UP16588, tribal tattoo, Apr'17

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Case Report - NamUs UP # 16588[/h] [h=1]Case Information[/h]
StatusUnidentified
Case number
ME17-4321
Date found
April 25, 2017 00:00
Date createdMay 05, 2017 12:36
Date last modifiedMay 11, 2017 12:00
Investigating agency
date QA reviewed

[h=3]Local Contact (ME/C or Other)[/h]
Agency
NC Ofc of the Chief Med Exmnr
Phone919-743-9000

[h=3]Case Manager[/h]
NameClyde Gibbs
Phone

[h=1]Demographics[/h]
Estimated ageAdult - Pre 40
Minimum age25 years
Maximum age35 years
Race
White
Ethnicity
SexMale
Weight (pounds) 116, Estimated
Height (inches) 63, Measured

[h=3]Body Parts Inventory (Check all that apply)[/h]

All parts recovered
Head not recovered
Torso not recovered
One or more limbs not recovered

One or both hands not recovered
Body conditions
Not recognizable - Insect/animal activity

Probable year of death to
Estimated postmortem interval

[h=1]Circumstances[/h]
[h=3]Location Found[/h]
GPS coordinates
Address 12320 S. Brightleaf Blvd
Address 2
City
Smithfield
State
North Carolina
Zip code27577
CountyJohnston

Circumstances
Body found floating in the Neuse River.

[h=1]Physical[/h]
Hair colorUnknown or Completely Bald
Head hair
Body hair
Facial hair
Left eye colorUnknown or Missing
Right eye colorUnknown or Missing
Eye description

No other distinctive body features

Distinctive features as described below

Amputations
Deformities
Scars and marks
Tattoos Black w/red outline tribal art pattern on right upper arm.

Piercings

Artificial body parts
and aids

Finger and toe nails
Other distinctive
physical characteristics

[h=1]Medical[/h]

Medical implants

Foreign objects
Skeletal findings
Organ absent
Prior surgery

Other medical
information

[h=1]Fingerprints[/h]

[h=1]Clothing and Accessories[/h]
No clothing or accessories

Clothing and accessories are described below

Clothing on body

Clothing with body
Hanes briefs
Footwear

Jewelry
Eyewear
Other items found
with body

[h=1]Dental[/h]
Dental information / charting is available and entered

[h=1]DNA[/h]

[h=1]Images[/h]
There are currently no images available for this case.

[h=1]Documents[/h] There are currently no documents available for this case.

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/16588

[h=1]Body found in Neuse River near Smithfield[/h]
An NCDOT bridge maintenance crew was working to remove debris that had gathered around a support beam column at the Neuse River Bridge on US 301 South of Smithfield.

While removing the debris that was collected by recent rainfall, the crew spotted the body that had been lodged against the support beams.

Police Detective Sgt. R.D. Wood said the Smithfield Fire Department assisted police with the recovery of the body.

http://abc11.com/news/body-found-in-neuse-river-near-smithfield/1916185/

AUTOPSY: Body found in Neuse River not due to heavy rains

SMITHFIELD, NC (WITN) - Police say a man whose body was pulled from the Neuse River on Tuesday did not die because of recent heavy rain.
Smithfield police said the State Medical Examiner's Office completed a preliminary autopsy on the body discovered by a state worker removing flood debris from a bridge.
The identity of the white man is not yet known, according to a news release. The body was approximately 5'3" tall, and the man had a black and red tattoo on his upper right arm and shoulder, possibly a "tribal" design.
http://www.witn.com/content/news/Wo...River-bridge-after-heavy-rains-420412263.html

http://wncn.com/2017/07/12/smithfield-police-still-working-to-identify-body-found-in-neuse-river/

The North Carolina Department of Transportation crew was working to clear debris from support columns on the Neuse River Bridge on U.S. 301 around 3 p.m. on April 25 when the body was found.

On April 27, Smithfield police said the body was that of a white male who was 5 feet 3 inches tall and has a black and red tattoo on the upper right arm and shoulder.

But on Wednesday, Smithfield police said the medical examiner could not confirm the victim’s race or ethnicity but they could have been Caucasian, Asian, or Hispanic.

Police are still trying to identify a man found dead in the Neuse River in April.

images

https://www.abc11.com/smithfield-police-seek-help-identifying-man-found-in-neuse-river/2928965/

TATTOO

neuse%20river%20body%20reconstruction%202

The investigation remains open, and officials suspect foul play, according to the Smithfield Police Department.

The N.C. Medical Examiner’s Office completed a preliminary autopsy on April 27, 2017, although it was unable to confirm the race or ethnicity of the victim.
He could be Caucasian, Asian or Hispanic, officials said.
The man was about 5 feet 3 inches tall and had a blue and red tattoo on his right shoulder.
The image of the tattoo is unclear because of the condition of the body. Police have said it could be a tribal sign.

In addition to the Medical Examiner’s Office, N.C. State University has helped officials try to identify the man.

The Benson Police Department and state medical examiners have confirmed that the body is not that of Cole Thomas of Florida, who went missing in Benson in November. Thomas has not been found.

Long shot suggestion:
12092343_G.jpg

http://www.hometownstations.com/sto...igation-related-to-missing-kori-glossett-case

His thread here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?313641-OH-Kori-Glossett-25-Van-Wert-1-July-2016

Age (25) matches UID range.
Height- 5'5" -- only 2 inches over UID estimate of 5'3"
There is no description of his arm tattoo in his thread and the above picture is the only picture of the tattoo I can find. He's a long shot because he went missing from Ohio almost a year prior to the UID being found.

Please submit if you think this is at all promising, I'm just suggesting here. Thanks.

This case hits home for me...I'm about an hour away from where this happened.

Rule Outs:
Richard Borrelli 04/09/1999 New Hanover NC
Javier Gomez 04/22/2017 Duplin NC
Christopher Thomas 11/25/2016 Johnston NC

I can't believe the photos they release to the public in NamUs sometimes. These poor families of these victims.
I've got the feeling lately that some of the LE who put these cases in NamUs just don't even give a damn about these people, graphic pics, lack of detail etc.Nearly 1000 cases where their biological sex hasn't even been confirmed. I wish there were more standards on that site.

I've got the feeling lately that some of the LE who put these cases in NamUs just don't even give a damn about these people, graphic pics, lack of detail etc.Nearly 1000 cases where their biological sex hasn't even been confirmed. I wish there were more standards on that site.
And that's just the cases that make it on NAMUS. Some jurisdictions don't even bother.

That’s one of the nastiest pictures I’ve ever seen and I’ve been around a minute.
That’s not just another set of bones. That is a person with family whose now literally decomposed body
Is now posted for the world to see. Not an ounce of decorum. There are photos taken, well before today’s era of decency and trauma sensitivity, that are significantly more respectful. Agree in spades with the obvious need for a sketch, as we’ve seen a thousand other times for tattoos that are on a decendent that is in advanced stages of decomp.

Sorry to go off that is just beyond anything I’ve ever seen.

Edited to add: not mad at y’all. The people who shared that in Namus on the other hand…come on now.

Can one of our amazing WS artists do a sketch so we don’t have to keep looking at that photo when comparing? I’d be ever so grateful!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back