https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/25522/40

Age last seen: 32
Age now: 62
Race: White female
Hair color: Blond/strawberry; Dark Blonde/Red Blond
Eyes Color: Brown
Height: 68.0 to 69.0
Weight: 130.0
Scars and Marks: Pins in right leg; Possible fractures from childhood in ribs and hip on right side

No photos disponible

Knauer had not been seen or heard from in nearly two months when she was reported missing by her mother.

Found an article from the Oregonian
Friday, November 29, 1963 Portland, Oregon

Page: 29

attachment.php

Her last name was spelled Knaver, but I have no doubt this is her.
1. She is the right age-- 8 years old when hit by the car in 1963 makes her born about 1955.
2. The accident described (fractured leg, broken ribs, possible damage to lungs) is consistent with her NAMUS description of Pins in right leg; Possible fractures from childhood in ribs and hip on right side
3. Westie is not a very common first name
4. Location of Portland Oregon -

This is an important find as it means she most likely grew up in Portland and Knauer/Knaver is her maiden name. Also gives her childhood address as 9945 N. Jersey St. This may help with finding her yearbook photo. If her address stayed the same throughout childhood maybe we can figure out her High School. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any other records.

Attachments

• Westie OR 29 Nov 1963.png
    Westie OR 29 Nov 1963.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 150
Westie Leta Knauer – The Charley Project

knauer_westie.jpg
knauer_westie2.jpg

• Missing Since 04/01/1987
  • Missing From North Portland, Oregon
  • Classification Missing
  • Date of Birth 09/02/1955 (63)
  • Age 31 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8 - 5'9, 130 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Knauer's nickname is West, and some agencies spell her middle name "Leda." She has previously fractured her ribs and right hip, and has pins implanted in her right leg.
Details of Disappearance
Knauer was last seen in North Portland, Oregon sometime in April 1987. She has never been heard from again, and was not reported missing for two months. Few details are available in her case.

Searching Oregon court records, on 3/12/1986, she was cited for failure to yield and operating a vehicle without a license, and then on 4/7/1986, her license was sanctioned for a failure to appear in court. This was all dismissed in 1995, and her license was reinstated to an inactive status. To be clear, I think she was not present in 1995; they were just cleaning up the books, but it gives us an idea of her whereabouts and activities the year prior to her death and makes it clear she did not have a valid drivers license at the time she disappeared. It's not clear if she didn't have a license because it had been revoked, or if she never had one or failed to renew it.

There was a warrant issued on 4/1/1987 for a failure to appear for a 3/31/87 court date. This court date was related to a theft in the second degree charge from 11/18/86. Bail was set at $3500. There were other court dates in March that were rescheduled related to the same charge. The charges were dismissed 10/29/1993, and the warrant was recalled.

The charges for theft and forgery were filed on 2/13/87, as stated in an earlier post. A warrant was issued at that time, but the records update in 2016 that "Warrant - Return Not Served". So possibly she was never able to be served with this warrant?

A civil case was also filed against her on 1/13/1989, well after she was presumed/reported missing. The plaintiff in this case seems to be this man (link is to his obituary). Also named as plaintiffs are two women listed as his wife and daughter in the obituary. There was a transcript of judgment issued; my understanding is that for a set period of time after an offense, a plaintiff may go after money (but not "real property"), and a transcript may be issued by a court to be filed in another court (perhaps of a different county, etc.) for the plaintiff to pursue obtaining this money there. So my guess is that these people were possibly the victims of Westie Knauer's property crimes. The man involved was politically prominent within Oregon/Portland.

So our timeline:
03/12/86 Cited for failure to yield and driving without a license ("infractions").
04/07/86 License is sanctioned for a failure to appear in court.
11/18/86 Charged with theft in the second degree (misdemeanor).
02/13/87 Charged with theft and forgery (both felony charges). A warrant is issued but possibly never served.
03/31/87 She fails to appear for a court date related to the misdemeanor theft charges. I wonder if she was avoiding being arrested for the outstanding warrant relating to the felony charges, or possibly already involuntarily missing at that time.
04/01/87 A warrant is issued for failing to appear in court on the misdemeanor theft charges.
01/13/89 A civil case is filed against her, with a transcript of judgment issued indicating she is considered to be financially at fault for something.

I know Charley indicates that she was reported missing around June of 1987, having not been seen by at least her mother for roughly two months at that time, but the report in Namus (which Charley lists as its source) could also be read as stating that she was reported missing on 4/1/1987, having not been seen for about two months prior to that. This would put her date last seen as around February of 1987. Nothing in the criminal record would contradict either scenario, as we don't know when the crime took place that she was charged with on 2/13/87. The records can be interpreted as either giving her a motive to voluntarily disappear or that she was living a more and more dangerous life, with increased risk.

Westie has been missing for about 36 years this month.

Westie Knauer was childhood friend. We were very close. I’m haunted by her not being found. Can you help me? How can I help? Her parents are gone now and they never knew anything. Her brother not a safe person for me to talk to.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back