Age now: 59
Race: White female
Hair color: Black
Eyes Color: Brown
Height: 62.0 to 66.0
Weight: 130.0 to 140.0
Clothing/Scars and Marks:
She had a small scar by her eye brow.

Margie was last seen leaving in her car to go get a gallon of milk. Her vehicle was found abandoned in Howell Michigan a few weeks later.

Hopefully someone acquainted with the case will chime in with some more information (like whether she had a boyfriend, who provided the information about her going to the store for milk, etc.).

Hello, this is my first time posting. I'd like to get some thoughts on this:
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Namus MP: 14788 Case: 2435-87[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Namus UP: 8213[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Margie Ann Ranshaw went missing from Barryton, MI which is 2 hours and 45 minutes from Van Buren Township (location of UP). Margie’s vehicle was found in Howell off of I96 (only 45 minutes from Van Buren Township). Howell is on the way (at least according to today’s roads) from Barryton to Van Buren Township. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Margie was last seen May 17, 1987[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]UP (skeletonized remains) were found September 10, 1993. What’s important is that she had a 1986 calendar in her wallet, leading me to believe she could have been deceased since 1986 or 1987. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]UP - White female with good oral hygiene, 20-35 years old, 62 inches (estimated)[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Margie - White female, 29 years old, 62-66 inches [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Namus MP: 14788 Case: 2435-87[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Namus UP: 8213[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Margie Ann Ranshaw went missing from Barryton, MI which is 2 hours and 45 minutes from Van Buren Township (location of UP). Margie’s vehicle was found in Howell off of I96 (only 45 minutes from Van Buren Township). Howell is on the way (at least according to today’s roads) from Barryton to Van Buren Township. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Margie was last seen May 17, 1987[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]UP (skeletonized remains) were found September 10, 1993. What’s important is that she had a 1986 calendar in her wallet, leading me to believe she could have been deceased since 1986 or 1987. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]UP - White female with good oral hygiene, 20-35 years old, 62 inches (estimated)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Margie - White female, 29 years old, 62-66 inches [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

Links case

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...mp-Ecorse-Rd-Sep-93&highlight=erica+franolich

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/8213

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Namus MP: 14788 Case: 2435-87[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Namus UP: 8213[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Margie Ann Ranshaw went missing from Barryton, MI which is 2 hours and 45 minutes from Van Buren Township (location of UP). Margie’s vehicle was found in Howell off of I96 (only 45 minutes from Van Buren Township). Howell is on the way (at least according to today’s roads) from Barryton to Van Buren Township. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Margie was last seen May 17, 1987[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]UP (skeletonized remains) were found September 10, 1993. What’s important is that she had a 1986 calendar in her wallet, leading me to believe she could have been deceased since 1986 or 1987. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]UP - White female with good oral hygiene, 20-35 years old, 62 inches (estimated)[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Margie - White female, 29 years old, 62-66 inches [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Margie has DNA but not dentals, and the UID has dentals but not DNA. :(

The UID could be Margie, though.

Found a 2007 obit for a sibling that lists Margie as predeceasing him. :(

This is an odd case. Apart from the usual listings on missing person sites there is nothing out there. Whilst this is hardly unique, it is surprising when there appears to be a large family still alive, including siblings, nephews and nieces, and possibly even parents. One mystery appears from entries on Ancestry. Margie appears in two family trees on Ancestry; one belonging to Ashley Copelin, who is listed as a niece on the obituary of Mark Ranshaw (Margie's brother) in 2007, and the other tree is from Christie Ranshaw, whose relationship to Margie is unclear. Both of these trees show that Margie was married at some point (or had a partner) and that there was a child. More confusingly, the Christie Ranshaw tree names the child as Ashley Copelin, who has the (married) name of Margie's sister and is shown as the sisters daughter in Mark Ranshaw's obituary. So there appear to be three possibilities;

1. The trees are wrong, either about the existence of a partner, a child or both. But since one tree is by Ashley Copelin such a gross error seems unlikely.
2. The identification of the child as Ashley Copelin is wrong, but there was a child. This is possible as the existence of the child is shown in both trees but only named as Ashley in Christie Ranshaw's tree.
3. The trees are correct and Ashley is the child of Margie and was adopted by her sister.

I do not know the answer but if there was a partner it would open a new area of interest. The identity of the child is less significant to the case but, of course , if a child was confirmed it would reinforce the question about a partner.

This is very interesting because, I swear, I feel like I know her at this point, but I didn't see anything about a child. Though I'm new to this, it really surprises me that there is not more about her case online. I haven't seen anything about a family member or partner looking for her. I am going to look more into the Ancestry thing, but please tell me if you find anymore info.

Though I had no idea she had a child, if I had to pick from one of your three options, I'd pick #3 at this point.

This is very interesting because, I swear, I feel like I know her at this point, but I didn't see anything about a child. Though I'm new to this, it really surprises me that there is not more about her case online. I haven't seen anything about a family member or partner looking for her. I am going to look more into the Ancestry thing, but please tell me if you find anymore info.

Though I had no idea she had a child, if I had to pick from one of your three options, I'd pick #3 at this point.
I agree that #3 makes the most sense...

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I would go with #3
If they both have dental records available, someone should submit the potential match to NamUs to see what shakes out.

I sent them a message with my thoughts a few days ago. Do you think they will take it seriously? I’m totally new at this.

I sent them a message with my thoughts a few days ago. Do you think they will take it seriously? I’m totally new at this.

Yes, they do, even if you don't hear back from them. I haven't gotten the same responses like I used to. The last two replies I received read like canned responses. I'm not even sure if they'll tell us if it's been ruled out already, like before. This is the most recent verbiage I received from them on another case:
Please note, identification and exclusions are only made and/or confirmed by investigating agencies. The results of comparisons may or may not be made available to the public for investigatory reasons.

They used to at least tell us if they've already been ruled out, even if they're not on the rule out list.

That would be the worst, to never know if you made a match. Margie has become important to me.

That would be the worst, to never know if you made a match. Margie has become important to me.

There are a few of us with pet cases that have been solved and we never learned who it was.
There's one right now, a set of unidentified remains of a former marine in NY that was recently identified, and we don't know who he turned out to be. Some WS'ers had been working on that case for years, putting in a lot of time and effort, but, unfortunately, that's how it goes sometimes. It stinks, but it happens.

This posting is a bit old, but how do we feel about #UP4778? The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

This person was found in Toledo, OH just one month after Margie disappeared. Height and hair color seem on point. UID was found wrapped in a blanket having been deceased for several days.

Margie disappeared from Barrytown, but her car was found in Howell. If you keep going from Barrytown to Howell in the same direction, you run into Toledo to the south or Detroit to the east. If headed south, Toledo sounds like a good match for someone looking to dump a body on their way out of the state. In 1987, going just over the state lines would probably be a good move for a body dump, as police departments had a harder time communicating.

EDIT: I know Margie is older than the estimated age of this body, but looking at her photos from 1987, she looks REALLY young.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back