GUILTY VA - Parents sentenced for horrific abuse of their children in Rockbridge County

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
‘Feral child’ saved from sex abuse as Virginia man and woman sentenced to 108 years

Robert Eugene Clark, 39, was sentenced to 65 years in prison on nine counts that included rape, aggravated sexual battery and taking indecent liberties.

Samantha Simmons, 30, was sentenced to 43 years on 11 counts that included aggravated sexual battery, sodomy and endangerment of a child.

2 sentenced to combined 108 years in prison for sexual abuse of children in Rockbridge

“She was a feral child; that’s the only way I could describe her,” Peggy Sigler, a caseworker for the Rockbridge Area Department of Social Services, testified Tuesday.

Sigler’s description of the girls’ home life — and the profound impact it had on their early childhood — came during hearings in which two family members were sentenced to a combined 108 years in prison for repeatedly molesting the two girls.

[...]

Despite what one attorney called “subhuman” conditions in the home, Rockbridge social services workers were slow to respond to complaints from concerned neighbors.

[...]

The former supervisor, who was accused of shredding some reports of child abuse that were made to the agency, also expressed little sympathy for the plight of the two young girls.

“They’re used to living that way so what’s the big deal?” she was quoted as saying in the grand jury report.

Details of sex abuse emerge as investigation of Rockbridge social services continues

According to a summary of evidence presented Tuesday, the 8-year-old confided to her foster mother and a counselor that over a four-month period in 2015, Clark repeatedly raped and molested her and her 3-year old sister, forced them to have sex with one another and beat them with a belt while they were naked.

Clark’s sister, Samantha K. Simmons, is charged with sexually abusing two young boys in a junked Ford van that sat nearby.

“This is one of the most disturbing child sex cases I’ve ever seen, much less dealt with,” said Chief Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Jared Moon.

[...]

Conditions in the homes had prompted at least two complaints to social services in 2014 and 2015, authorities have said. After hearing nothing from the agency, a concerned neighbor called the sheriff’s office, prompting McCullough to conduct a well-being check on the girls on the evening of Sept. 2, 2015.

Based on what he saw, McCullough called social services and asked the agency to investigate. Three days later, he made a follow-up call and was told a Child Protective Services employee had gone to the home but no one answered the door.

Only after repeated pressure from law enforcement — applied at the same time the regional office was hearing complaints about social services in Rockbridge — did the agency launch an investigation that led to the children being removed from the home.

Two convicted of child sex abuse in 'disturbing' Rockbridge County case

The report shows that social services workers went to the trailers after deputies investigated the situation in September 2015.

Moon, speaking on the phone Wednesday, described what they found.

"Both of them were just covered in roaches and other bugs. Thousands, if not millions, of bugs. Trash all over the house. The insects were inside the refrigerator, running through food, food that the children ate," said Moon.

The grand jury report shows the social worker who saw those conditions requested that the children be removed immediately, but her then-supervisor, who has since resigned, said, "They're used to living that way, so what's the big deal."

That social worker then obtained a protective order and she and another employee found a placement for the children themselves without the supervisor's approval, according to the report.

Wish they could get more!

This case is horrible. There was so much more info than the snips that I posted above. Clark and Simmons are half siblings and it appears that they themselves were brought up in an abusive and incestuous situation. This horrible abuse and neglect appears to be generational within this family going back at least three generations.

What stunned me about it was the bolded by me from the social services supervisor. I will never wrap my head around how that woman ever got that job. I will lose sleep wondering what other horrors continue for some nameless child because that awful woman did not do her job.

That social worker then obtained a protective order and she and another employee found a placement for the children themselves without the supervisor's approval, according to the report.

Yay to those employees for going over their boss's head!

The children were placed in foster care and, officials tell PEOPLE, they are in the process of being adopted.

Officials said the abuse spanned three generations. A third family member, who also took part in the abuse, has died since the trio was charged in 2015, authorities said.

“I’ve been here 39 years and this has been the most disturbing and disgusting thing I’ve ever heard in the courtroom,” Rockbridge County Circuit Court Clerk Bruce Patterson tells PEOPLE.

http://people.com/crime/virginia-siblings-sentenced-sexually-abusing-girls/

A Natural Bridge Station woman and her half-brother, both in their 30s, will spend virtually the remainder of their lives in prison after pleading guilty in an intergenerational case of incest and child rape that local authorities have called probably the most egregious they’ve ever encountered. - See more at: http://www.thenews-gazette.com/cont...ced-child-sex-abuse-case#sthash.jb9LuYRR.dpuf

The girls are now in foster care with a family who plans to adopt them, but both show symptoms of the abuse they suffered, including signs of developmental disorders that prevented the younger girl – now 5 years old — from entering kindergarten, according to testimony cited by the Roanoke Times reports.

The girl, who could identify just one color, would often stay awake at night and cry, “clearly fearful of something,” according to one social worker who treated the child.

And despite what one attorney called “subhuman conditions” at the home, neighbors accused officials at the Rockbridge Area Department of Social Services of not responding fast enough to the save the girls.

A former supervisor who not identified by the Roanoke Times because she was not charged with a crime refused to enter two reports into internal computer systems as required by state policy and told employees not to be bothered with the case, according to a special grand jury’s report. The woman allegedly destroyed some reports of child abuse that were submitted to the agency and gave little sympathy to the girls.

http://nypost.com/2017/06/09/rapist-siblings-who-kept-girls-in-subhuman-conditions-get-108-years/

The defense argued in court that Simmons’ male family members had sexually abused her a while back, so the “deviancy to her became the normal.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/0...8-years-for-sexually-abusing-young-girls.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4585856/Siblings-sentenced-raping-abusing-girls-3-8.html

This is just inexcusable to me, and that social services supervisor needs to find a whole new career! :(

This story is sad all around. I almost feel some sympathy for the perps. They were brought up that way and were probably as isolated as they isolated those children. Not excusing them, but this is one sick family.

It needed to stop as it was a festering situation, it had to stop.......it could not be allowed to get worse. These children were suffering.....they could not continue the situation to become the norm.......For these children it has now stopped and with the love and nurturing they are now receiving they can become as close to 'normal' as they possibly can.

This story is sad all around. I almost feel some sympathy for the perps. They were brought up that way and were probably as isolated as they isolated those children. Not excusing them, but this is one sick family.

I get what you are saying. NOT excusing them but I wonder if the mental capacity of the adults also played a role. In one of the links above it said he wrote on legal paper he was sorry to the girls. I just wonder if he said that because LE told him what he did was "Bad".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back