NY NY - Joanne Dexter, 30, West Islip, 5 April 1977

I have found some legal article from 1978 addressed to Joanne Dexter formerly known as Joanne Migliore of West Islip NY and Paul Migliore. That is definitely our missing Joanne. Can anyone translate this to plain and simple English? I can't make head or tail of this. Something about $14 K mortgage from 1969, but why is different couple involved? It is first case on the page (in pdf format)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...82.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHVO2K1m9S7zOhZTEfmcMWuyiIPpA

I have found some legal article from 1978 addressed to Joanne Dexter formerly known as Joanne Migliore of West Islip NY and Paul Migliore. That is definitely our missing Joanne. Can anyone translate this to plain and simple English? I can't make head or tail of this. Something about $14 K mortgage from 1969, but why is different couple involved? It is first case on the page (in pdf format)

Is://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiKlemk-YXVAhUsDsAKHUVDCqwQFgguMAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffultonhistory.com%2FNewspaper4%2FSayville%2520NY%2520Suffolk%2520County%2520News%2FSayville%2520NY%2520Suffolk%2520County%2520News%25201978%2520May-Apr%25201979%2520Grayscale%2FSayville%2520NY%2520Suffolk%2520County%2520News%25201978%2520May-Apr%25201979%2520Grayscale%2520-%25200182.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHVO2K1m9S7zOhZTEfmcMWuyiIPpA

It appears to be a simple application for foreclosure (possession, effectively) of the property which belonged to Joanne. The application is by the couple who originally granted the mortgage to Joanne and her husband, but it looks like the mortgage was amended in 1976 to just be granted to Joanne. I presume this means Joanne and her husband divorced, she retained the property and became liable for the mortgage.

As Joanne disappeared in 1977 and this application was in 1978 it may suggest that she found maintaining payments on the mortgage impossible and decided to leave the property knowing it would be repossessed. If this was the case (and it is quite a frequent thing to happen) it may mean Joanne is out there somewhere rather than having come to harm.

An interesting question is where she got the surname of Dexter. As far as I can see (from Ancestry) she was Joanne Giabia when she married Paul Migliore in Islip, New York in 1963 and was probably born 9/7/1946 in New York. I can find no marriage to a Dexter (or the divorce from Migliore, although this is not surprising given New York records on Ancestry). It may suggest, however, that there was a subsequent partner.

An interesting question is where she got the surname of Dexter. As far as I can see (from Ancestry) she was Joanne Giabia when she married Paul Migliore in Islip, New York in 1963 and was probably born 9/7/1946 in New York. I can find no marriage to a Dexter (or the divorce from Migliore, although this is not surprising given New York records on Ancestry). It may suggest, however, that there was a subsequent partner.

It appears to be a simple application for foreclosure (possession, effectively) of the property which belonged to Joanne. The application is by the couple who originally granted the mortgage to Joanne and her husband, but it looks like the mortgage was amended in 1976 to just be granted to Joanne. I presume this means Joanne and her husband divorced, she retained the property and became liable for the mortgage.

As Joanne disappeared in 1977 and this application was in 1978 it may suggest that she found maintaining payments on the mortgage impossible and decided to leave the property knowing it would be repossessed. If this was the case (and it is quite a frequent thing to happen) it may mean Joanne is out there somewhere rather than having come to harm.

While you mention that it is quite frequent thing to happen and I do agree, I am not so sure that that is what happened in this case.

She was borned and raised her entire life only in one state, in NY, hence had strong or some ties in that area. Very likely family too. And even though some people do run away from debts and legalities that does not necessarily means not contacting ever again your own family members or anyone you know.

It is the same argument I see that is used when person who needs visa/permit is reported missing. In most cases visa or not, that person would contact their family in some way if they were able to. (Not sure I explained clearly what I mean).

Foreclosure of her house in 1978 in my eyes was due to her genuinly going missing one year prior (due to faul play or other means). Her not being there and hence no payments led to the situation and not other way around. Also if she would disappear due to debts I think that she would have waited much longer and left only before loosing house.

3 different surnames though does make it intriguing.

(All above just my thoughts and hunch, not a fact).

Last edited:

Thank you a lot for digging out all this information as there are so sparse in her case.

Her being borned and also married in NY does point to her having strong roots there. Does Ancestry by any chance mention any Highschool she (Joanne Giabia) attended? Just to add that she was 17 when getting married in 1963. Hmm. Due to her age and and also length of marriage I assume she might have also children.

Just reminding that there are still no pictures of her found.

Last edited:
I just found a Joanne Dexter age 72 in West Islip.. but no further info unless I pay..

Veromi.net | People Summary

5. DEXTER, JOANNE (Age 72)
spacer.gif
Available WEST ISLIP, NY

Now if by chance she is an unidentified person that went missing the 1970s or 1980s in NYC we will have a tough time locating her.. since the UIDs seem not be anywhere :confused:

after migliore she married
she has three children
two are in new york still
the house was given to her in the migliore divorce via a lawyer meeting to keep with the children

does anyone know anything else?

Welcome to Websleuths Mahah and thank you for a bit of extra information.

So just to recoup the details - in 1963 17 year old Joanne Giabia married and became Migliore. She has divorced sometime in 1975 after 12 years of marriage, probably more to the end of that year. Morgage and house was rewritten to only her name on 12 January 1976. Three children were some or all from her first marriage.

Sometime in that year, 1976 she married again and became Dexter. As she lived at the same house as before my assumption is new husband moved in with her.

Just few month later, 5 April 1977, she disappears...

It does not sound good at all :(.

Welcome to Websleuths Mahah and thank you for a bit of extra information.

So just to recoup the details - in 1963 17 year old Joanne Giabia married and became Migliore. She has divorced sometime in 1975 after 12 years of marriage, probably more to the end of that year. Morgage and house was rewritten to only her name on 12 January 1976. Three children were some or all from her first marriage.

Sometime in that year, 1976 she married again and became Dexter. As she lived at the same house as before my assumption is new husband moved in with her.

Just few month later, 5 April 1977, she disappears...

It does not sound good at all :(.
I just had a thought. I wonder if they ever checked the house or the property.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back