Identified! MN - Polk Co., Skeletal Remains on bank of Red River, Jun'17 - Shirley Whetter

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
OSLO, Minn. - Authorities say human remains have been found on the bank of the Red River near Oslo.

The Polk County Sheriff's Office tells KFGO radio that two men who were fishing Saturday afternoon found bones and a skull.

The remains have been transported to the medical examiner in Grand Forks, North Dakota.

http://www.kare11.com/news/human-remains-found-in-nw-minn/447784317

HIGDEM TOWNSHIP, Minn.- Authorities in northwestern Minnesota are working to identify human remains that were found by a boater on the Red River about 16 miles north of Grand Forks Saturday.

At about 2;45 p.m. Saturday, the Polk County Sheriff's Office was dispatched to the eastern bank of the Red River in rural Higden Township, Minn. after a boater called and said they'd encountered human remains, according to a news release.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4281733-human-remains-found-banks-red-river

However, the person who found the remains did say there was a "gown" with her (as Damarna said above), so the remains may be old. Unfortunately, Victoria was last seen wearing a Pocahontas costume not a gown.

However, the person who found the remains did say there was a "gown" with her (as Damarna said above), so the remains may be old. Unfortunately, Victoria was last seen wearing a Pocahontas costume not a gown.
The gown has me scratching my head. A dress? A night gown?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Somehow, I'm doubting this connection to Safranski. With how often this river floods, human remains along it would likely be washed downstream within a year or two easily.

Unless it was a kidnapping, and the perp just recently decided to dispose of the remains... horrible thought.

[h=1]Could remains thaw 20 year old cold case?[/h]
A mystery continues tonight in the Red River Valley as the medical examiner works to identify human remains found along the Red River.

Police in one community hope this could be the break that thaws a two decades old cold case.

When the news broke it's a thought that crossed many in the city of Warren and across the northern Valley.

The Safranski case which hasn't been solved,” said Warren resident Rena LaCoursiere.

Are human remains found along the Red River near Oslo that of 40-year old Veronica Safrasnki?

“It would be good for the family to have closure,” commented Stacy Balzum of Warren.
The Red River has been searched as part of the Sanfranski investigation. The remains were found about 3 miles south of the Olso boat launch an area that had not been searched.

“The Red River was always a place of interest,” said the Sheriff.
Sheriff Boman, who has been working the case from day 1, says though clothing found at the scene does not match what Veronica Safranski was last seen wearing.

“I'm not going to say I'm optimistic yet, I don’t want to jump the gun,” said Boman.

While it will be a few days before a positive ID will be made, this appears to be another heart wrenching setback for Safransk's loved ones, investigators and the community.

“There's always hope, there's hope,” said LaCoursiere.
http://www.wdaz.com/news/minnesota/4282410-could-remains-thaw-20-year-old-cold-case

That's really irrelevant if she was abducted. The gown for all we know could be a sheet she was wrapped in.

It could be. I hope LE make a positive id soon.
To me, a man describing a "gown" would be like a long dress. could be a nightgown or a sheet she was wrapped in.

When a man says gown, I tend to assume he means a nightgown, or possibly a hospital-style garment.

I'm going to guess it's probably somebody's elderly relative disposed of so they could keep collecting social security checks...a situation that is sadly far too common.

Kristi Lynn Nikle is the first person that comes to my mind...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This woman has been missing and left the hospital in their "attire"...

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/k...hing-for-missing-43-year-old-Fort-9762538.php
I'm thinking the paper scrubs she was wearing wouldn't be intact of in the water for any about of time. I also wonder if the meeting distance would be a rule out? With that said.... You just never know and it may be something to keep an eye on! Good idea looking for someone in a gown type outfit!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Kristi Lynn Nikle is the first person that comes to my mind...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Do you have any information about who she is or why you think it might be her?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Have they figured out the gender...or not yet?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back