Resolved NY - North Collins, Male Skeletal Remains buried off Gowanda Rd, Jun'17

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=2]Recovery of human remains underway near North Collins park[/h]
The Erie County Sheriff's Office on Sunday said a pair of hikers found the remains in a wooded area near the Marion J. Fricano Town Park, which sits off Gowanda State Road just south of the Village of North Collins.

The hikers noticed what appeared to be human remains sticking above the dirt line and called 911 at 11:10 a.m. Saturday, said Scott Zylka, a Sheriff's Office spokesman.

Deputy Gary Mosier responded and found a boot and confirmed the discovery of a human skeleton, prompting the office to send out detectives and members of its Crime Scene Investigation Unit. In addition, representatives of the Erie County Medical Examiner's Office and an anthropology team from Mercyhurst College in Erie, Pa., were called.
http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/11/h...ollins-park-recovery-effort-continues-sunday/

Deputies recalled Sunday that an adult male did go missing from neighboring Brant about 15 years ago, but that speculation would have to be researched. The body could apply to any ongoing missing persons case.

The Sheriff's Office will have to investigate if this was, in fact, a murder. Captain Savage said Sunday that the town park off of Gowanda State Road (Rt. 62 South) was not always developed as it is now, and may have served as a place for someone to pull off the road and discreetly commit a crime. He emphasized they do not know anything for sure at this time.
http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/human-remains-found-in-north-collins/447716557

[h=2]Identifying human remains found in North Collins could prove challenging[/h]
It may take a long time – if ever – for investigators to identify the human remains recovered this past weekend from a wooded area in North Collins, authorities said Tuesday.

The remains appear to be that of an adult man. DNA from the skeleton or dental records could play a role in identifying the individual, according to Scott Zylka, spokesman for the Erie County Sheriff's Office.
Sheriff's detectives are reviewing lists of missing persons and consulting with other law enforcement agencies, Zylka said.

Even if the medical examiner is successful in obtaining DNA, there may not be a matching sample "in any database," Zylka said of the challenges facing investigators.
http://buffalonews.com/2017/06/13/i...orth-collins-prove-challenging-investigators/

[h=1]New details on recovered North Collins body[/h]
Howard says a Western-style jacket known to have been manufactured in the 70s was found along with the skeletal remains, as well as a pair of jeans. A brass button also recovered suggests the jeans may have been made by Wrangler.

Finally, the boot that led to the initial discovery is described as a modern boot, and is a size 11.

Howard said if that shoe size matches the foot size of any local missing persons in the past 40 years, that it would be promising start to identifying the body.

The Sheriff’s Office is currently looking into forensic labs nationwide that might be most capable of identifying the remains. Sheriff Howard said the remains are so deteriorated, any lab will run into difficulty finding useful DNA, but did suggest that some teeth that were excavated may be the most promising.

The deterioration of facial structural and pelvic bones required a slight back-track from one original assumption over the weekend. At first, the Sheriff’s Office believed the body to be that of a large male. Now, they say due to deterioration, they cannot confidently determine the body’s gender or race.
http://www.wgrz.com/news/update-she...ed-north-collins-body-human-remains/449402961

[h=1]Police assume human remains found in Upstate NY linked to homicide in past 40 years[/h]
Buffalo, N.Y. -- Officials are looking through over 1,000 missing persons cases for leads in identifying human remains found in Upstate New York.

Erie County Sheriff Tim Howard said Thursday they are assuming the remains are linked to a homicide. WGRZ-TV reports the body found in North Collins on Sunday had clothing that indicated the person had died sometime in the past 40 years.
http://www.newyorkupstate.com/weste...tate_ny_linked_to_homicide_in_past_40_ye.html

[h=1]Clothes Found Among Human Remains Point Back Decades[/h]
"We can see he was wearing a Barry Dolan jacket, which was something from back in the 60s and 70s, we believe," said Detectives Captain Gregory Savage. "The Kaufman boots were from back in that era. A pen was found that we're trying to track down, possibly, an address that was on the pen."

A forensic excavation team from Mercyhurst University in Erie, Pennsylvania helped investigators by clearing vegetation and mapping out the area. DNA samples were submitted to a lab for analysis.
http://www.twcnews.com/nys/buffalo/...unty--gregory-savage--gowanda-state-road.html

Hopefully we hear more details about this doe soon.

There are a couple missing that could be matches, but unfortunately they mention the colours of the jackets and not the brands.

Maybe Terry Brewer?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

NamUs UP 16804

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/16804

Unidentified Body/Remains (White Male)

Found June 10, 2017 in Erie County, NY
Body Condition: Not recognizable - Putrefaction/ decomposition
Probable year of death: 1960 to 1990

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 15-25 (Adult - Pre 30)
Approximate Height: cannot estimate
Approximate Weight: cannot estimate
Hair Color: Blond/Strawberry; Dark dirty blond 2'' long
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks: nothing

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing:
Barry Dolan jacket; Wrangler corduroy pants; Tan Kaufman Made in Canada size 11 boots
Jewerly: nothing
Footwear: nothing
Accessories:
Blue and white pen: FTACORE INCORPORATED, 1294 SEVENTEENTH ST., DETROIT, MI 40215, Ph. # 313-237-0077; Black leather-like wallet with 2 faded photographs?

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
Dentals: Dental information / charting is available and will be entered later
DNA: Sample submitted - tests not complete

Case History:
Probable 15-25 year old white man found buried in Marion Fricano Town Park. Estimated height 5'8" to 6'4". Dark or dirty blonde hair 2-3" long. Buried over 30 years, probably more like 40-50 years. Wearing tan Kaufman boots size 11, Barry Dolan jacket, Wrangler corduroy pants.

The address on the pen is now the site of housing which has been built in the past 3 or 4 years. Google streetview shows what whatever commercial premises had been there were gone by 2007.

Does anyone know how or where to look up the history of companies in MI?

The history says Kaufman was Canadian too. Maybe this guy was from Canada?

In addition, zip codes were introduced July 1, 1963. So this had to of happened after 1963.
The zip code given, 40215 is in Jefferson County, Kentucky.

Interestingly, I found that the zip code 48215 currently covers an area in the Southeast of Detroit, bordering the neighborhood of Grosse Point Park. The current zip code for 1294 17th Street is 48216, which is west of downtown Detroit. I found nothing to indicate that these zip codes have changed. Evidently zip code changes have been rare since the introduction of zip codes, mostly occurring in suburbanizing areas.

As a result, I'd guess the pen is a bit hard to read, it has been buried 40-50 years after all, and the best investigators could make out was 40215, while the pen actually says 48216

The history says Kaufman was Canadian too. Maybe this guy was from Canada?

That thought had crossed my mind as well. I've been trying to find out about the Barry Dolan jacket he was wearing but nothing comes up about clothing with that name except links to this thread and to the one or two media articles about the remains. The cops had clearly heard of the brand so it must have been quite popular at one time, but it would be useful to know how widely it was distributed and if it was a regional brand, where it was based and sold.

In addition, zip codes were introduced July 1, 1963. So this had to of happened after 1963.

So our body died anytime between 1963 and 2000 but probably sometime before 1980 (based on the clothing).

The zip code given, 40215 is in Jefferson County, Kentucky.

Interestingly, I found that the zip code 48215 currently covers an area in the Southeast of Detroit, bordering the neighborhood of Grosse Point Park. The current zip code for 1294 17th Street is 48216, which is west of downtown Detroit. I found nothing to indicate that these zip codes have changed. Evidently zip code changes have been rare since the introduction of zip codes, mostly occurring in suburbanizing areas.

As a result, I'd guess the pen is a bit hard to read, it has been buried 40-50 years after all, and the best investigators could make out was 40215, while the pen actually says 48216

Agreed about the script on the pen probably being difficult to read. 48216 does sound more likely, given that it agrees with the street address.

I wonder when pens started to be used as promotional items like this. If a longstanding ex-employee of Kaufman could be shown the pen it's possible he or she could narrow down the time period when that particular promotional item was used.

There's currently a listing for a Barry Dolan wool coat/jacket on Fleabay with a close-up of the lable which suggests it was a brand of the Keyser-Roth Corp*. The listing says that coat is of US manufacture.

Unfortunately the link won't work for long.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Barry-D...at-Jacket-Faux-Fur-Collar-Sz-44-/401104562111

* Who currently appear to be the distributors of the Calvin Klein, Jockey and Burlington brands.

I'd be very surprised if someone at the company could not identify the garment and it's date of manufacture quite closely.

I wonder if it is possible that the 48216 ZIP code was actually created out of the 48215 one? If so, and we could determine when that occurred, we could possibly narrow this down further. I know one of the suburbs by me went from being a sleepy little farmtown in the fifties to a high-density exurban area today. As a result, in about 2001, they split the town into two ZIP codes.

This guy from Canada seems like a possibility. His height, age (pre-30), race, and time frame (clothes found were popular in the late 60s - 70s) all fit. The bit that stood out to me: he was possibly last known to be in New York State.

PERCIVAL, Gary
https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?case=2014002334&id=5

Gary Percival was reported missing in Regina, SK on April 9, 1973. A witness did state that Gary Percival may have been a patient in a hospital in New York State in 1974. Mr. Percival has not been located and his whereabouts is unknown.
showImage

The missing person's page says his Gary's hair is black, but it looks at least brown in the photograph. In addition, the hairs found might have faded for the 40-50 years they have had to deteriorate. This might have made it seem the UID's hair was lighter than it was in life.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back