IL IL - Bette Horvat, 24 to 27, Chicago, 1 June 1960

Now, this is a really strange case. No exact D.O.B, no picture, no exact location of her missing or the circumstances.

The only comment on her namus profile: Bette was from Detroit Michigan. She was last known to be in the Chicago area around 1060.

I wonder whether Horvat was her married name, in which case she may be the Bette Smith who married Michael Horvat on 8 October 1954 in Chicago. Unfortunately Ancestry only has this marriage as an index record, with no further detail such as ages or parents names, which makes it difficult to confirm this is the same Bette or to take it any further. If anyone is in the area and can access the original certificate I imagine there is more information.

The key to getting more information on this case is "Who reported her missing?" can the police tell you that or is it confidential information?

Now, this is a really strange case. No exact D.O.B, no picture, no exact location of her missing or the circumstances.

The only comment on her namus profile: Bette was from Detroit Michigan. She was last known to be in the Chicago area around 1060.

I wonder whether Horvat was her married name, in which case she may be the Bette Smith who married Michael Horvat on 8 October 1954 in Chicago. Unfortunately Ancestry only has this marriage as an index record, with no further detail such as ages or parents names, which makes it difficult to confirm this is the same Bette or to take it any further. If anyone is in the area and can access the original certificate I imagine there is more information.

I found a Bette Smith that fits with these circumstances but the age is way off to be the missing woman. There is a Bette Smith in the 1940 census. She was born in Illinois and living in Detroit, Michigan. In 1940 she was a Student Nurse and living at Helen Newberry Nurses Home located at 235 Alexandrine East, Detroit, MI. Census also reports she was living in Detroit in 1935. The only problem is that her approx birth year is 1921. That would make her 39 in 1960. I can not find any record for a Bette Horvat living in Chicago or Detroit (or anywhere in IL/MI) that fits the age range given in NAMUS. Could her age be off by over a decade? There are yearbook pictures of the Bette Smith born in 1921 but I'm not going to post at this time because I'm unsure this is the missing woman. I wish we had more info. :sigh:

The main key to this case is to know who reported her missing. A family member? friend? boyfriend?

Horvath is a common variation of Horvat, as is Harvath, Harvat, Horwath ect. Considering that it is Austrian/Hungarian/Croatian of origin her middle name could be pronounced/spelled as "Maria" and not "Mary".

I believe that it is possible that her name could be Elizabeth and went by Bette for short as a nick name or to Americanize it. we also need to consider the variations of "Bette" too since it wasn't THAT common of a way of spelling Betty.

Bette also has origin roots from Austria/Hungary/Poland ect.

On that note, a lot of Hungarians and Austrians immigrated to America during world war II to ILLINOIS and MICHIGAN

imp-bette-horvat-portrait.jpg

"Family believe that she was born in about 1936 (her parents are deceased) She was from Detroit but moved to Chicago in the 50s. She married Michael Horvat (now deceased). Michael is believed to be a criminal (carjacker, burglar, possibly others). They lived on Damon Ave in the 60s."
Source: Bette Horvat | Missing From: Chicago | Illinois Missing Persons

Bette Marie Horvat Namus CaseFile

There is an older article (12 May 1961, in the Berwyn Life, pg 15) indicating a Michael Horvat was arrested for his involvement in a "bogus" check ring. This particular Michael Horvat had a history with LE in Chicago - on probation for 5 years for counterfeit 5$ bills and also suspected in a burglary several months prior where blank checks were stolen from a business and forged. Info provided in the thread, as well as location and timing, would seem to support this may be the same Michael Horvat.

Currently 12 exclusions listed publicly in Namus:

UP3153
04/19/1981
Will
IL
UP8493
12/06/1993
Fairfax
VA
UP6642
08/07/1986
Chesterfield
VA
UP8579
01/25/1981
Hanover
VA
UP5211
09/30/1968
Will
IL
UP6661
02/03/1991
Stafford
VA
UP8419
01/16/2001
Isle of Wight
VA
UP6249
11/14/1980
Rockingham
VA
UP5556
05/30/1976
Virginia Beach
VA
UP6796
11/18/1985
Alleghany
VA
UP12683
06/06/2014
Newport News
VA
UP6629
02/03/1991
Frederick
VA

4232DFIL - Bette Marie Horvat​

4232DFIL.jpg
4232DFIL1.jpg

Name: Bette Marie Horvat
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: June 1, 1960
Location Last Seen: Chicago, Cook County, Illinois

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: Unknown
Race: White
Height: 5'1"-5'3"
Weight: 110-135 lbs.
Hair Color: Dark brown
Eye Color: Green
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Wears glasses

Identifiers​

Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Bette was originally from Detroit, Michigan. She moved to Chicago in the 1950s. Bette was married to Michael Horvat.

According to family members, Bette and Michael lived on Damon Avenue at the time of her disappearance. Michael was believed to have been involved in criminal activities.

The circumstances of Bette's disappearance are unknown.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Will County Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Gene Sullivan, Medicolegal Death Investigator
Agency Phone Number: 815-727-8455
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: N/A

NamUs Case Number: 38513

Information Source(s)​

NamUs
Cook CO SO
Illinois Missing

Admin Notes​

Added: 4/28/22; Last Updated: 4/28/22 - By: hb

Illinois must have a ton of jane does not in NamUs. Theres only 5 female UIDs found between 1960 and 1980.

There first documented jane doe is from 1968

MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member