GUILTY IL - Ryon Smith, 6, beaten to death, Cahokia, 24 Dec 2005

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Two arrested in death of boy

When authorities answered a call Sunday evening about a little boy being unresponsive, they found no sign of holiday joy or cheer inside the drab, run-down duplex.

No Christmas tree. No presents. Only the bruised, lifeless body of 6-year-old Ryan Smith on a bedroom floor.

An autopsy on Monday disclosed that Ryan had been beaten, probably with hands and fists.

"The autopsy showed, from the bruises on his body, that there had been a long period of abuse," said St. Clair County Coroner Rick Stone. "There were old injuries and obviously new injuries.

"That boy had been beaten like a dog."

...Cahokia Police Capt. Norman Venable said he did not know if both adults took part in the beating or why the boy was beaten. "I know what they're (the suspects) saying, but I don't believe them.

"I know that the beating was terrible."

More: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/8C2AA65621886B5C862570E40001829D?OpenDocument

PrayersForMaura editorial remark: I think I am going to be sick :(

From the link
Venable said Ryan had not been attending school or registered in any school. The identity or whereabouts of Ryan's father is unknown, he said.

The gray frame duplex, just down the road from St. Louis Downtown Airport and Parks College, sits across from a cornfield and railroad tracks. Three small American flags decorate the front porch amid empty trash cans, large paint buckets, a couple of garbage bags full of soda cans, an old dentist's chair and a rusty barbecue grill. Discarded furniture and appliances litter the backyard.

Can we think of a way to sneak someone into the jail? I will supply a big bag of oranges for them to take with them!

OMG! That poor boy. The "unharmed" 20 month old brother? Guess Ryan caught all the anger and frustration. Both adults unemployed. God Bless that poor boy. Thank God the younger one is out of their hands. Want to bet that drugs and alcohol are involved? Doesn't matter, there is no reason for this.

I am suprised that emergency services was even called. :banghead:

This poor little boy. My heart just breaks for him, thinking of all the pain he went through, and at the hands of the ones who were supposed to love and protect him.

nanandjim said:
SCUM!! I HOPE THAT THEY BURN IN HELL.

"People" like this should not be allowed to breath the air on this planet! They are so cold and inhuman. Why do these things happen?

nanandjim said:
SCUM!! I HOPE THAT THEY BURN IN HELL.

Yes, they are scum!!!!! I would like to beat them like they beat this poor baby. My blood is boiling. :furious:

God Bless little Ryan's soul. :angel:

NewMom2003 said:
Yes, they are scum!!!!! I would like to beat them like they beat this poor baby. My blood is boiling. :furious:

God Bless little Ryan's soul. :angel:
i agree, i hate hearing this crap!!!!! i think that they should be beat like a dog, EYE FOR AN EYE!!!!!!!!!

I've been searching for more news this morning and some pictures of these b*stards that did this to the poor child, but there won't be more news until there's further investigation later today and they are officially charged. It may have been just the mother's boyfriend involved in the beatings but she will be charged for letting it happen without reporting it, (I would think) as she should be :furious: . Edited to add: The coroner noted that there were old bruises and new ones, so apparently the beatings were ongoing for some time. Also, some other news stories I read pretty much had the same info but also reported that the child was grossly malnourished :(

Poor child. Sounds as if he should have been taken away from the mother a long time ago. Why did the system fail this child? Didn't ANYONE notice something? Now, the 2 year old is staying with a grandparent, in "safe" custody. Did this very same grandparent not know what was going on to the 6 year old?

I am thoroughly heartbroken and disgusted.

I have never posted before, just been reading. This case forces me to say something, I would hope that LE realizes that the Mother should not be charged with any "lesser charge" than the boyfriend. It is her responsibilty to protect those children, the boyfriend wouldn't be there if not for her. She is every bit as guilty, if not more, as the person who physically did this (if it is not her who really did this). If there is a Grandparent willing to take the youngest after this murder, then that Grandparent could possibly have taken both of the kids as soon as the mother knew what she had brought home to them.
She is just as evil as the boyfriend. Sorry but the "battered wife syndrome" is nothing compared to the primal need to protect our young. She is scum.

This is just sick! WTH is wrong with people these days? Why do they have to take their frustrations out on an innocent child? I just don't understand. That poor little boy! I'm so frustrated with this so-called system that is supposed to protect these children. :furious: :furious:

brink said:
I have never posted before, just been reading. This case forces me to say something, I would hope that LE realizes that the Mother should not be charged with any "lesser charge" than the boyfriend. It is her responsibilty to protect those children, the boyfriend wouldn't be there if not for her. She is every bit as guilty, if not more, as the person who physically did this (if it is not her who really did this). If there is a Grandparent willing to take the youngest after this murder, then that Grandparent could possibly have taken both of the kids as soon as the mother knew what she had brought home to them.
She is just as evil as the boyfriend. Sorry but the "battered wife syndrome" is nothing compared to the primal need to protect our young. She is scum.
Welcome to W/S Brink
I totally agree with your post.I believe the mother is as guilty as B/F .:banghead: I hope the 2 year old is in a loving home but it makes you wonder what this grandparent is like .:(

I have to wonder about Grandparents being allowed custody of children from abusive homes. These same grandparents are the parents who raised child abusers/murders/torturers. The behaviour was learned somewhere!

brink said:

This is the best post I've ever seen.

brink said:
I agree :clap: good post and welcome, come back more often!!!

PrayersForMaura said:
Two arrested in death of boy

PrayersForMaura editorial remark: I think I am going to be sick :(
This just completely breaks my heart. I can't even begin to understand what this poor child went through...and to not even know Christmas. God Bless his soul.

This story just truly affected me...poor angel. :(

Marie said:
I have to wonder about Grandparents being allowed custody of children from abusive homes. These same grandparents are the parents who raised child abusers/murders/torturers. The behaviour was learned somewhere!
Welcome to WS Marie!
I am afraid that I am going to disagree with you on this. At one time, it was peretty certain that an abuser learned to abuse at home. But now with all of the drugs being so rampant, and with the effects of the drugs being so extreme, the grand parents may have been extremely good and loving.
Parents cannot control what their kids do, how they treat their kids, or anything else. Often the grandparents are the last to know what is going on.
I will be withholding judgement until more info comes out.

mysteriew said:
Welcome to WS Marie!
I am afraid that I am going to disagree with you on this. At one time, it was peretty certain that an abuser learned to abuse at home. But now with all of the drugs being so rampant, and with the effects of the drugs being so extreme, the grand parents may have been extremely good and loving.
Parents cannot control what their kids do, how they treat their kids, or anything else. Often the grandparents are the last to know what is going on.

I agree with you, mystery. I think the grandparents in situations like this are probably not up for Grandparents of the Century, but they're very often better than foster care. Good foster care providers are pretty good, bad ones are awful. Grandparents can at least make a child feel like they have roots, and a family, and a permanent place, and someone who is cheering for them.

mysteriew said:
Welcome to WS Marie!
Yes, I know that that belief is outdated, but part of me still wonders if such extreme abuse isn't, at least in part, a learned behaviour. But then I have never personally known a severe drug user. I do hope that these grandparents are very gentle and loving.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back