CA - UPS worker kills three colleagues in San Francisco, turns gun on himself

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
3202d77f.gif

A UPS driver opened fire with a handgun inside a United Parcel Service Inc (UPS.N) delivery center in San Francisco on Wednesday, killing three co-workers before fatally shooting himself as police closed in, authorities and company officials said.

Two people wounded by gunfire were taken to a hospital. Five other people suffered less serious injuries in a frantic exit from the building, San Francisco police said.

The gunshot victims, like the killer, all were UPS drivers, and the attack unfolded as the workers gathered for their daily morning meeting before starting their delivery rounds, said Steve Gaut, head of investor relations at UPS.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

Reuters

Officials identify gunman, victims in UPS shooting

3202d77f.gif

The day after a gunman killed three co-workers and then himself at a United Parcel Service facility in San Francisco, the victims’ relatives, fellow employees and customers were mourning their deaths in both public and private.

On Wednesday night, the San Francisco medical examiner’s office said the victims of the morning shooting in Potrero Hill were Benson Louie, 50; Wayne Chan, 56; and Michael Lefiti, 46, according to the Associated Press. Police identified the gunman as 38-year-old Jimmy Lam, who fatally shot himself in the head as police officers closed in.

Though it took hours for authorities to confirm who the victims were, word already had spread among their co-workers and family. By nightfall, a makeshift memorial in the city’s Diamond Heights neighborhood was growing for delivery driver Lefiti.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

LA Times

“Around here, Mike isn’t just a UPS guy, he’s everyone’s friend,” UPS customer Barbara Branch told KBCW.

People left balloons, photos and a poster calling Lefiti a “gentle giant.”

“He made you feel like you were a part of something,” Judy Prejean told the station. “He was just an awesome person. I just want his family to know how much he was loved outside the family.”

Lefiti, a Hercules resident, had attended Westmoor High School in Daly City, according to his Facebook page. He leaves behind a wife and five children.

Louie, 50, was a San Francisco native who went to George Washington High School and Roosevelt Middle School, according to several classmates on Facebook. Louie coached volleyball and was referred to as “Uncle Benson” by several of the people he coached on Facebook. He leaves behind a wife and two daughters.

The victims and the gunman were UPS drivers, said Kyle Peterson, a UPS spokesman. Chan had been with the delivery service for 28 years. Lefiti and Louie had been with the parcel service for 17 years.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ups-shooting-san-francisco-20170615-story.html

Police have not yet released victims' names but families and friends identified one of the people killed as 46-year-old Mike Lefiti, a UPS driver.

Lefiti's cousin, Mack Toia, told KGO-TV (http://abc7ne.ws/2sch61d) he was at the UPS facility waiting to pick up Lefiti when he heard shots. He left his van and saw his cousin sprawled on concrete behind a gate, Toia said.

"The police officers were right on the scene just like that. I got to touch him, but I couldn't hug him," Toia said. "They just pushed me away because they were trying to resuscitate him."

Toia said he was able to tell Lefiti he loved him.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/shooting-san-francisco-ups-center-police-48036518

San Francisco UPS shooting suspect believed he was being bullied by co-workers, sources say
http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-news/261771610-story

SAN FRANCISCO (KTVU) -- The UPS worker who opened fire at the company's San Francisco warehouse yesterday, killing three co-workers before turning the gun on himself believe he was being bullied by two of those employees, sources told KTVU Thursday.

Jimmy Lam, an 18-year veteran of UPS, appeared to single out three slain drivers during the shooting rampage although police have not yet publicly disclosed a motive in the case. San Francisco police declined to comment about their investigation on Thursday.

One of the workers that Lam targeted was Benson Louie, 50, who was shot and killed after a morning meeting with staff. A second employee whom Lam thought was mistreating him was not at work during the shooting attack.

The killer, Jimmy Lamm may have been bullied. However, none of the victims harassed the killer.

Most recently, he was upset with UPS managers and had filed a grievance in March claiming he was working excessive overtime, said Joseph Cilia, Lam's friend and an official with the union that represents UPS drivers. But none of the men who were shot were managers, Cilia noted, adding that he knew of no disputes between Lam and the victims.

Shaun Vu, a senior UPS driver, said Lam had personal troubles a few years ago that involved a dispute with a girlfriend over visitation rights for their young child. Vu said he encouraged Lam to seek professional help and that Lam took off work for several months.

Lam seemed fine when he returned to work but Vu noticed a few weeks ago that he looked troubled.

San Francisco UPS shooting suspect believed he was being bullied by co-workers, sources say
http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-news/261771610-story

SAN FRANCISCO (KTVU) -- The UPS worker who opened fire at the company's San Francisco warehouse yesterday, killing three co-workers before turning the gun on himself believe he was being bullied by two of those employees, sources told KTVU Thursday.

Jimmy Lam, an 18-year veteran of UPS, appeared to single out three slain drivers during the shooting rampage although police have not yet publicly disclosed a motive in the case. San Francisco police declined to comment about their investigation on Thursday.

One of the workers that Lam targeted was Benson Louie, 50, who was shot and killed after a morning meeting with staff. A second employee whom Lam thought was mistreating him was not at work during the shooting attack.

The killer, Jimmy Lamm may have been bullied. However, none of the victims harassed the killer.

Most recently, he was upset with UPS managers and had filed a grievance in March claiming he was working excessive overtime, said Joseph Cilia, Lam's friend and an official with the union that represents UPS drivers. But none of the men who were shot were managers, Cilia noted, adding that he knew of no disputes between Lam and the victims.

Shaun Vu, a senior UPS driver, said Lam had personal troubles a few years ago that involved a dispute with a girlfriend over visitation rights for their young child. Vu said he encouraged Lam to seek professional help and that Lam took off work for several months.

Lam seemed fine when he returned to work but Vu noticed a few weeks ago that he looked troubled.

It's the same story every time. He sounds just like Vester Lee Flanagan II, doesn't he?

I wonder what his actual motive will end up being.

This is so sad and feels like it is happening more and more. I am even more sad that this shooting has not garnered more coverage.

This is so sad and feels like it is happening more and more. I am even more sad that this shooting has not garnered more coverage.

I agree. Sadly, I think politics is getting the spotlight lately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back