OH - Kathryn, 54, & James Stockdale, 21, shot to death, Stark Co., 15 June 2017

gitana1

Verified Attorney
Reaction score
This is a very religious, conservative, home-schooling, bluegrass playing family of four sons. Not allowed to date, watch t.v., etc. They were featured on Wifeswap in 2008.

One of the boys, Jacob, 25, killed his younger brother James, 21 (the youngest) and murdered his mother before turning the gun on himself. I believe he may still be alive.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/wife-swap-stockdale-family-murder-son-allegedly-kills-mom-brother-w488446

Here is a video of their family: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...sblHimsra-8bxVyDw&sig2=t5PeQx---LoYMumzGcvLxg

Is it just me or does anyone else think that maybe they might have been a bit too strict and the older son just lost control of his mind. MOO.

There was a family manual that they posted online which has been since taken down along with the whole website. Crazy stuff. Extremely controlling. Every waking hour was controlled. They weren't allowed to play or daydream. Ever.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that maybe they might have been a bit too strict and the older son just lost control of his mind. MOO.

This reminded me of the family in Oklahoma - same strict environment, same isolation - except those sons didn't try to kill themselves.

It may take some time to see it, but... "control" is the core of extremism... and that ain't good. (JMO)

Ive edited this bc im not sure of what im saying is victim bashing. If it is then please delete. But, i rhink this was part of the wife swap controversy so idk. .I think mom may have been etremely controlling. Her children are not allowed to date until they're ready to get married. She and her husband rarely disagree except in regards to staying on a large farm bc he has to take on jobs away from the farm to sustain it...I bet he does, I would too if one controlled my every waking hour. They were not allowed to "hang out", her children don't hang out bc she has strict and structured schedules, designed by mom. She did not want them to be influenced by the outside world/21 century. This MOO is setting a child up for disaster. What happens when they are forced to deal with the real world? We aren't talking about 8 year old kids. These are teenagers. That level of control never leads to a good outcome....this is sad for everybody involved. She says in her control manifesto that she cooks bc it has to be done right, therefore she always cooks and their days are scheduled/centered around the 3 meals she cooks..yikes. (JMO)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Those poor kids. It makes me wonder why some parents are that controlling. They say it is to protect their kids, but that's so misguided.

Mom certainly was a control freak. She had the whole family under such an extreme level of control that this seemed to be the only way to "break free". It was mom who couldn't fit into the 21st century so she created her own little world and used extreme force to keep her family as captives in her world. This was the outcome.

Mom certainly was a control freak. She had the whole family under such an extreme level of control that this seemed to be the only way to "break free". It was mom who couldn't fit into the 21st century so she created her own little world and used extreme force to keep her family as captives in her world. This was the outcome.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the sentiments the family professed, like family togetherness and unity, a love of music, not focusing on gadgets and tv, eating healthy, unprocessed foods, etc., are great. But the aspect of utter control of every bit of their waking hours is just crazy.

I think that level of control and keeping kids away from any outside influence is abot the parents' insecurities or mental health issues or desires to dominate and it can backfire horribly:

"LEISURE AND SOCIAL LIFE

What do you do as a family?
Life is not about entertainment and fun. I do not promote a lot of leisure time for the boys. A lot of emphasis in the teen world is placed on hanging out with friends. We do not hang out. I insist that the boys have a focus and purpose to any activity so that the boys do not become corrupted by meaningless relationships.

Do your kids have their own social life outside of the family?
The boys don't hang out at malls. If they socialize it is through useful and wholesome activities like debate class where they learn life long communication skills in a fun environment. The boys have made some good friends though debate class with other home schooled children and occasionally get together here at our home to discuss speech and debate topics with one another.
How much of a role do friends play in your life?
My family is the cornerstone of my life. I teach the boys that you need to work together to achieve anything in this world."

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the sentiments the family professed, like family togetherness and unity, a love of music, not focusing on gadgets and tv, eating healthy, unprocessed foods, etc., are great. But the aspect of utter control of every bit of their waking hours is just crazy.

I think that level of control and keeping kids away from any outside influence is abot the parents' insecurities or mental health issues or desires to dominate and it can backfire horribly:

"LEISURE AND SOCIAL LIFE

The boys have made some good friends though debate class with other home schooled children and occasionally get together here at our home to discuss speech and debate topics with one another.

How much of a role do friends play in your life?
My family is the cornerstone of my life. I teach the boys that you need to work together to achieve anything in this world."

Her thinking is revealed in that text. The children's friends in debate class even had to have their meetings at her place so she could control those friends, debate class was in her control. Also she didn't have any friends only her family. Her only friends were her family. It was her mental health that is the issue here.

OMG ..... this is awful. So much is running through my head st the moment, and I am only partway through this manual.

" I like things done my way..... I watch over them to make sure it is done right".

It seems as if they had no control over their own actions nor thoughts.

What happened with the older brothers' chores as they left home? Did the younger two have to take them on as well as their own?

Why kill the younger brother? To "save him" from having to be controlled further? To "protect him" in some way?

I may change my mind as this unfolds further, but at this point my heart aches for this young man. For what he has been through and for what is coming .....

Well, that didn't work out for her so well, did it? There are worse things than 'hanging out', like murdering your mother and brother. I suppose that is ok though, at least they didn't date or hang out.

Family statements: http://fox8.com/2017/06/16/motive-still-a-mystery-in-double-murder-attempted-suicide-involving-family-featured-on-reality-tv-show/

"It's hard to, you know, kind of surmise what the motive may have been. There is some speculation; we don't really want to get into that part of it but we will continue to investigate this case and try to determine if there is a motive. We just do not know at this time," said [Sheriff] Maier.
- - -
http://www.cleveland19.com/story/35679586/stockdale-family-releases-statement-after-family-band-member-kills-mother-brother

Neighbor heard shots, did not think anything of it at the time.

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]http://www.timesreporter.com/news/20...one-is-hurting[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]As news of the shootings emerged, friends and fans of the musical family took to social media expressing their shock and offering prayers and sympathy for the family as they tried to make sense of why a talented artist from what appears to be a loving family would want to harm anyone.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Mourners posted videos on Facebook and Twitter from performances across the county and beyond, while others questioned Jacob Stockdale’s mental health and the lifestyle the family lived.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Micah Derry, a spokesperson for the family, said the Stockdales have several grandchildren.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Dale Klick, president of the Stark County Fair Board, said the Stockdales were a valued partner of the Stark County Fair making several appearances throughout the years. The band was set to play two shows at this year’s fair on Sept. 3.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Calvin Stockdale, the eldest son, remarked about his brother’s studies in a statement Friday morning, nothing James wanted to be on the business side of entertainment after obtaining his degree.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]Calvin Stockdale also said his family is praying for his brother Jacob, and making funeral plans as they begin the healing process.[/FONT][/FONT]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back