Found Deceased VA - Emma Compton Layne, 52, Cody, 17 June 2017

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Authorities continue to search for missing Cody woman[/h]
594ac7931a43e.image.jpg

The Halifax County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s assistance in locating Emma Compton Layne.

Layne, 52, is described as a white female, 5 feet tall and weighing approximately 135 lbs.

She has brown hair and brown eyes, and has visible scars on her arms.

Layne was last seen Saturday around 7 p.m. at Cody Store.
http://www.yourgv.com/news/breaking...cle_3941759c-56b6-11e7-8da8-275cdab5fd79.html

Deputies say Emma Compton Layne was last seen at the Cody Store, which she owns.

Family and friends tell us that Emma is a very loving and kind person.
They are all very concerned about her because they say it's unlike her to disappear.

Layne's sister says she spoke with her Saturday about Sunday plans and no one has heard from her since.

The Halifax County Sheriff's Office says they haven't been able to find a trace of her.

"All of her vehicles are here. Her cell phone is here, and what we can tell, a lot of her personal belongings are still here," says Halifax County Sheriff's Office Major Tommy Spencer.

Because of that, the family is trying to remain positive in thinking she didn't leave with no intention of coming back.

"That's what I want to believe. That's what I want to believe. There's just so much evil in the world today that you don't, you don't know," says Childress.

The family just wants to know if she's safe.

The sheriff's office has been at Layne's home since Tuesday looking for anything that may lead them to her.

They have K9's and ground crews searching the area.

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/S...sing-woman-from-Halifax-county-429921923.html

Deputies say Emma Compton Layne was last seen at the Cody Store, which she owns.

Looking at that on Google maps/streetview it's a pretty isolated spot. From reading cases on WS over the past couple of years, the disappearance of lone females from isolated stores or petrol stations does seem to be A Thing. Sadly this does look most likely to be an abduction to me.

I looked the store up on google maps and it looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere. I hope this lady is okay.

Was any cash missing from the register drawer, I wonder. Or would they know if Emma owned the place and was there alone?

if her car was at home, how did she get to the store? And why was she there without her car and phone. And who saw her there?

I wish we could get a family member, friend or co-worker to come on here to brainstorm with us.

[h=1]UPDATE: Cody Store employees plea for missing owner to come home, investigation continues[/h]
Investigators say a dive team checked out two ponds at Layne's residence Thursday, but did not find anything.

Investigators also reviewed security footage from the Cody Store, which Layne owns.

That's the last place she was seen Saturday before she was reported missing by her sister.

Her employees at the Cody Store say they're trying to keep it running until she comes home.
"Emma, please come home. We miss you. I miss our phone calls, our talks we have, just come home. Come home," says employee, Melinda Dawson.

"Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, call us and let us know you're okay," says another employee, Brenda Poindexter.

Poindexter has worked with Layne for the last two years since Layne bought the store.

Both employees say she is a very sweet person. They say they talk to her about everything.

"So if anything is going on, just call me and talk to me and let me know that you're okay because I love you and I miss you and I want you back here at your business, running this business like we did before," says Poindexter.

They say customers love Layne and they've had several coming in checking on them the last few days.

They want Layne to know if she's scared, that she can trust them.

"Everything will be okay in the end. Pray on everything that's happened in your life, put God first in your life and everything's gonna be alright. I know that. I know that's true. So just bring her home," says Poindexter.

Officials say from what they can tell, most of Layne's belongings are at her home, including her car and cell phone.

Her sister told us Wednesday that leads her to believe, she will be back.

The sheriff has told us investigators don't suspect foul play.
http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/S...sing-woman-from-Halifax-county-429921923.html

So she disappeared from home? Do they think she just walked away? She couldn't really get too far without a vehicle or a phone. I wonder why they don't suspect foul play. I feel like there is more to this story.

Yep, there definitely does seem to be more than LE are sharing with the public.

Married? Separating or divorcing? Does she have kids?

Frustrating! There's just not enough facts to work here Coworkers, and sisters have spoken, anyone else? She's obviously been married at some point, as she has two last names. There's cameras at her store, but, police aren't saying if she's on camera, or not! States last seen at the store, but was she seen leaving? Was there anyone in the store with her? Was there anyone in the parking lot? How did she normally get to and from work? What does her phone show? If she was last seen at work, yet her phone, and personal belongings were at home..then how did the phone get to her home?
I have no idea why I am also feeling domestic, significant other, someone close to her
... I wish I felt she left on her own...but even with so few facts, I'm just very uneasy about this!

OT - I apologize..but 2Hope4 - do you work at the courthouse??
TIA

I have the exact same questions and I don't work at a courthouse. Common questions when we feel it's a domestic situation. In other words, we need more information about her before we can really sleuth this case.

I have the exact same questions and I don't work at a courthouse. Common questions when we feel it's a domestic situation. In other words, we need more information about her before we can really sleuth this case.

I'm sorry - you have misunderstood me. When I said OT (off topic) and apologized - speaking to 2Hope4 - I wondered if she worked at the courthouse NOT anything to do with this case. Sorry I was unclear.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back