CA CA - Lawrence Singleton: Brutal Attacker & Killer

Yaya

Esse Quam Videri
Reaction score
Website
bakerst221b.blogspot.com
Lawrence Singleton was a brutal attacker and killer and I don’t believe it started with Mary Vincent in 1978

Based on his age (he was 50 years old when he attacked Mary Vincent), I believe this man could have been connected to many girls missing or unidentified in the California, Nevada, and other areas. His MO is overkill. Are there any cases you know of thought to be committed by someone the victim didn't know, but the kill was extremely brutal. Most overkill is thought to be committed by someone who knew the victim.

Killing years could be between 1948 and Oct. 8, 1978 and then again from April 1988 until Feb. 19, 1997

Most killers start out assaulting women, which over time escalates into murder. I believe by the time he attacked Mary Vincent he had already killed before. Who knows how many. His intention was not only to attack but also to kill. He left her for dead. I have never heard of him being connected to any other murders, but I feel certain he was. Lawrence Singleton had a deeply ingrained hatred and dislike of women, said Assistant Attorney General Scott Browne

He was in prison from Oct. 9, 1978 to April 25, 1987 for the brutal attack of Mary Vincent: Singleton, picked up 15-year-old Mary Vincent in Berkeley and drove her to an isolated area a few miles west of Patterson and not far from Interstate 5. There he bludgeoned her, then raped her and then used a hatchet to chop off her arms just below the elbows. Then he dragged her down into a culvert, where he left her, apparently thinking she would die from the trauma he had just inflicted on her body. But she didn't die. She managed to get out of the culvert and started walking toward the distant noise of I-5 traffic, her bloody stumps hanging down from her shoulders. People in the first car that saw her were so horrified they turned around and fled. People in the second car stopped and got her to a hospital. Mary was able to give a description of her attacker and the vehicle was driving.

Singleton is arrested in Sparks; Nev. Oct. 9, 1978. In March 1979, a San Diego jury convicted Singleton of kidnapping, mayhem, attempted murder, forcible rape, sodomy and forced oral copulation. He received 14 years. He served only 8 years.

He was paroled on April 25, 1987 but held in a trailer on the grounds of San Quentin State Prison until April 1988 -- Singleton, released from parole, leaves San Quentin, and begins to roam around the East Bay, living part of the time in Richmond.

Singleton was free to kill again from April 1988 until Feb. 19, 1997

Singleton was arrested in February 1997 for the murder of another woman in Tampa Florida.

Singleton's known timeline:
-- Sept. 29, 1978 -- Lawrence Singleton kidnaps hitchhiker Mary Vincent, 15, from Berkeley, drives her to rural Stanislaus County, then rapes her and chops off her forearms with a hatchet.
-- Oct. 9, 1978 -- Singleton is arrested in Sparks, Nev.​

-- March 29, 1979 -- Singleton is convicted by a San Diego jury of multiple counts and is sentenced to more than 14 years in prison.​

-- April 25, 1987 -- Singleton is paroled from California state prison in San Luis Obispo after serving just over half of his sentence. A furor erupts in Contra Costa County after many towns refuse to allow Singleton to settle there. State officials eventually settle him in a trailer on the grounds of San Quentin State Prison.​

-- April 1988 -- Singleton, released from parole, leaves San Quentin, and begins to roam around the East Bay, living part of the time in Richmond.​

-- Sept. 14, 1990 -- Singleton, now living in Tampa, Fla., is released from jail after serving 48 days for petty theft.​

-- Feb. 19, 1997 -- Roxanne Hayes, a 31-year-old prostitute and mother of three, is stabbed to death in Singleton's Tampa, Fla., home, nine days after Singleton is released from a psychiatric hospital after attempting suicide. A sheriff's deputy, knocking on Singleton's door, finds him in blood-spattered shirt, Hayes' bloody corpse lying on the floor nearby.​

-- April 14, 1998 -- Singleton is sentenced to die after a Tampa jury convicts him of first-degree murder in Hayes' death.​

-- Dec. 28, 2001 -- Singleton, 74, dies of cancer in a Florida prison hospital.​

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/InmateReleases/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=318619253

This was the first case I followed as a young girl. I was 16 at the time and felt deeply connected with Mary Vincent. I can't begin to share with you the impact this story had on me. (At night I would pray for God not to let Mary have bad dreams. I worried about her like a sister.) I firmly believe it had a lasting affect on my life and my interest in true crime. Justice was NOT served in Mary's case. I am glad this monster is dead... and Mary can go on with her life.

I have often wondered how many others he brutalized before he came upon Mary. :(

(key) Name Birth Death Last Residence Last Benefit SSN Issued

LAWRENCE SINGLETON 28 Jul 192728 Dec 2001 (V)33619 (Tampa, Hillsborough, FL) (none specified) 263-32-5853 Florida

The above entry was from the Social Security Death Index. He had a Social Security number which was issued by the state of Florida quite a long time ago. I do not know the exact date, but probably pre-dating his prison sentence.

If the date of issue could be determined, and if the Social Security Administration could supply LE with dates and places of employment activity, a time line of locations might help to solve cold cases.

Yaya, I can't get your link to work. Also, please check the information to be sure that you comply with our TOS regarding copyright. Thanks.

Jeana (DP) said:
Yaya, I can't get your link to work. Also, please check the information to be sure that you comply with our TOS regarding copyright. Thanks.
I couldn't get the link to go as far as giving me all the above information, but got an explanation from the Florida Inmate Locator that the link may be outdated. Good reason for re-printing all of the information on this creature here.

I am not a copyright lawyer, but I doubt that there would be any copyright infringments with this type of information, assuming that this is where the information came from, as law enforcement puts it out with the idea of spreading the word and catching criminals.

I searched him on the locator link and clicked on the deceased one (I came up with 3). It gave some incarceration dates for his DP sentence conviction but I didn't see any of the other info/dates.

By the way I thought the timeline was excellent. I'm currently working on one like that for a criminal I know.... I've run into some roadblocks, though. Any tips are appreciated. I have purchased criminal background checks on him but without fingerprints I can't obtain a full record. He went by several different names/aliases. Since he lived/committed crimes in several states, and public records laws differ, I'm having a bit of a problem. Like I said, any tips are welcome on how to obtain items for such a timeline.

Richard said:
I couldn't get the link to go as far as giving me all the above information, but got an explanation from the Florida Inmate Locator that the link may be outdated. Good reason for re-printing all of the information on this creature here.

I am not a copyright lawyer, but I doubt that there would be any copyright infringments with this type of information, assuming that this is where the information came from, as law enforcement puts it out with the idea of spreading the word and catching criminals.

Jeana (DP) said:
Hi Jeana,

I think I am ok on this post. 95 % of the post was written by me. It did take awhile to get all my facts in order. I used small portions of info from different sites.

I did use a quote by Assistant Attorney General Scott Browne "Lawrence Singleton had a deeply ingrained hatred and dislike of women." just for emphasis. The timeline was copied and a few changes were made by me to ensure it was correct based on the research I have done.

By the way, I did go and read the TOS again. I think you are a great moderator and I have a lot of respect for you. :)

Try this link, look down left side of page for Offender Search... then Inmate Release Information Search. When you get there put in Lawrence Singleton, white, male, and then scroll down to hit submit request. This should take you to his picture and a small amount of info about his incarceration.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/

Mullins, I can't take credit for the timeline at the bottom of the post. I think I got it from a news report. I did change some thing’s in it by removing or adding to it... but basically it was already there.
I can only take credit for the timeline of years he was free to kill. Sadly, I have never read anything that would lead me to believe anyone else has ever considered that this man could be responsible for other murders.

Richard, how would I go about suggesting this man be looked at for other murders. There may be no one who would care now that he is dead... maybe they would feel he could not be prosecuted or give them any info so why bother to look into it. What do you think? Should I even try?

Yaya, I was living in Cali at the time of his release from prison. I read a great article about Singleton in an alternative paper published out of Berkeley. At that time many of the mainstream papers were blaming Mary Vincent and casting doubt on Singleton's guilt.If you could find the author of the article, I am sure s/he would be interested.

Ella, that is sad to hear. I would really be interested to see any of those articles. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. All I had ever heard was that California residence were outrage when he was freed on parole after serving eight years of a 14-year sentence. Protesters in California refused to let him live in the state.

This is a good article: http://www.lasvegassun.com/dossier/events/singleton/

So, I should be looking for articles around April 25, 1987. I don't have a subscription to any online news archives but maybe Shadowangel will look for me... I'll talk with him about it.

Yaya said:
Ella, that is sad to hear. I would really be interested to see any of those articles. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. All I had ever heard was that California residence were outrage when he was freed on parole after serving eight years of a 14-year sentence. Protesters in California refused to let him live in the state.

This is a good article: http://www.lasvegassun.com/dossier/events/singleton/

So, I should be looking for articles around April 25, 1987. I don't have a subscription to any online news archives but maybe Shadowangel will look for me... I'll talk with him about it.
I was doing a google search last night trying to find something and came across an old Time magazine article. It stated that Singleton had paid his debt to society and that there were doubts about his guilt. The article was titled Not in Our Town. Mary was a run away and the media portrayed her as a very wild and lose woman at the time of the attack. I really don't understand the mentality of blaming the victim for a brutal crime. Here in Oregon a school teacher just got parole for child *advertiser censored* because of "all the good he had done as a school teacher". What a joke.

Yaya said:

... Richard, how would I go about suggesting this man be looked at for other murders. There may be no one who would care now that he is dead... maybe they would feel he could not be prosecuted or give them any info so why bother to look into it. What do you think? Should I even try?
Law enforcement cold case detectives can use all the tips they can get, even if it concerns a dead suspect. If you have information that Singleton, or any other convict was in a given area at the time of a disappearance or murder, then contact them and let them know. Detectives get assigned to a cold case, and they have files and information from previous detectives (maybe), but there is no way that they know about all the criminals from that particular era. Even if Singlton was considered as a suspect at the time, but dismissed for some reason, there might be a second look taken if his later behavior warrants it.

Another reason to alert LE to him as a suspect is that more and more cases are being checked for DNA evidence, but without a suspect the priority for checking is lower. Even though this guy is dead, his DNA might be available to test against old evidence.

Making felons give up their DNA, is one of the greatest things to have happened in forensics today. It is already showing some results, but some of the results are slow in coming, because it is a huge job to input all of the biological evidence that has acculmulated over the years.

I found today that in 1991 he was charged twice with theft. I don't know what happened in the first case. In the second he was sentenced to 2 years.

I don't know how much of that time he pulled. So the timeline for kills would be changed slightly by this info if he actually pulled time in 1991.

I found two cases from Doe Network Unidentified listed in California that I think could be victims of Lawrence Singelton. The MO is really close.
MO with Mary Vincent: He bludgeoned her, then raped her and then used a hatchet to chop off her arms just below the elbows. Then he dragged her down an embankment, across a field a short way and left her to die.

Here are the other two, exact Description taken from Doe Network:
Located on August 3, 1969 near a quarry on Highway 1, south of Lompoc, Santa Barbara County, California.
The victim died from multiple stab wounds and a slit throat.
The victim lay a few feet down an embankment, her body dragged there across dust and scrub brush and dumped behind a cluster of rocks within sight of old Highway 1. Investigators believe she was killed there. She was stabbed numerous times.
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/205ufca.html

The victim was discovered on November 16, 1969 in Los Angeles, California.
Estimated Date of Death: November 14, 1969
The victim was located on Mulholland Drive and Skyline Drive, Los Angeles, CA. She was found down an embankment alongside of Mulholland Dr by a hiker. She had been stabbed to death, and there is evidence of a "rage" or overkill.
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/358ufca.html

Is my imagination working overtime? What do you think?

You know, I have been thinking. We really ought to start a serial killer thread and try to keep a running record of SK's in the various areas.
Yes, some we will definately remember- but some pass by with little notice.
For instance, I have posted two or three in Crimes in the News recently.

I wish there was a way to have our own data base where we could enter the stats on cases along with MO. Who knows we may find a pattern and be able to link some of these killers who are active to some of the John and Jane Does. I know LE has this now but I wonder how much time they have to spend looking for patterns in the kills. Maybe when something comes up with a close match it red flags the system...I don't know. I would like to understand the way their system works. If anyone knows and can elaborate on the system they use please post.

I feel certain Lawrence Singleton's attack on Mary Vincent was not his first.

mysteriew said:
Making felons give up their DNA, is one of the greatest things to have happened in forensics today. It is already showing some results, but some of the results are slow in coming, because it is a huge job to input all of the biological evidence that has acculmulated over the years.
I mentioned this in another thread about Sharon Marshall, but if they can make them submit DNA then why can't they make them submit to sodium penathal, or hypnosis to get the truth out of them? What's the difference?

Yaya said:
I wish there was a way to have our own data base where we could enter the stats on cases along with MO. Who knows we may find a pattern and be able to link some of these killers who are active to some of the John and Jane Does. I know LE has this now but I wonder how much time they have to spend looking for patterns in the kills. Maybe when something comes up with a close match it red flags the system...I don't know. I would like to understand the way their system works. If anyone knows and can elaborate on the system they use please post.

I feel certain Lawrence Singleton's attack on Mary Vincent was not his first.
You are most likely correct, yaya. I also found this story so compelling. It's the first one I really remember hearing about as a kid, besides the Manson murders. I hope she is doing OK, do you know anything about her life now?

I lived in Modesto when this crime happened, and remember it vividly. He should never have been released after a mere 8 years, and to add insult to injury, we (the State of California) protected him at great expense for another year while he lived in a trailer at state expense. Pffffft! Instead, they should have waved bye-bye at the gate, after announcing loudly exactly when and where he was going to be released! But PROTECT THAT :sick: :furious: NEVER SHOULDA HAPPENED! :behindbar

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back