Found Deceased Canada - Sean Kuntz, 45, 100 Mile House, BC, 14 June 2017

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Sean David Kuntz, 45, left home on June 9 to cycle his way to visit his mother in the Greater Victoria area. She last heard from him on June 13 when he texted to check in from between Williams Lake and Quesnel. He was reported missing that day.

Investigators now believe there has been a confirmed sighting of Kuntz at the Caribou Visitor Centre in 100 Mile on June 14.

Kuntz is described as Caucasian, 5’11”, well built, dark eyes, dark hair, missing half of his thumb.

It is believed he is sleeping on the side of the highway.

kuntz-new.jpg

kuntzphoto.jpg

This is a photo of Kuntz, taken in Houston on June 10.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3555655/rcmp-say-missing-cyclist-last-seen-june-14-in-100-mile-house/
http://www.interior-news.com/news/missing-cyclist-sean-kuntz-an-adventurous-man/

Wonder how long of a trip, and when he was expected...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonder how long of a trip, and when he was expected...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So he left Smithers June 9, and on June 14th had made it past 100 Mile House, distance 700 km, or about 115 km per day, he was covering a lot of distance, and was more than halfway there.

For that first portion of the trip, I believe there's really no alternative to the main highway. But as he approached Kamloops, there are a number of possible routes he could take, which might involve back roads and a round about route, to avoid the heavy, dangerous, highway traffic between Kamloops and Vancouver. I guess he didn't let anyone know his plans. For example, he could have gone via Whistler, through the mountains. I'm not sure what the cellphone reception would be along that kind of route. He might have been travelling with his phone off, to preserve the battery, or just run out of power. I'm sure LE must have tried to trace his route through his phone, without success.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

He was cycling from Smithers to Saanich. He left Smithers on June 9 and last texted his mother on June 13 when he was between Quesnel and Williams Lake.

There was a confirmed sighting of Kuntz, at the Caribou Visitor Center in 100 Mile House on June 14.

His mother reported him missing on June 18 to Saanich RCMP, who notified Smithers RCMP.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ean-kuntz-last-seen-june-14-in-100-mile-house

Kuntz is described by Mounties as white, 5-11, well-built, with dark hair and dark eyes. His is missing half of one of his thumbs.

In further looking at a map, Lillooet is 100 miles south and west of his last known location, and is on the other side of the river. The highway along that route is dangerous riding, I suspect he headed along backroads, and rather than connect with the highway to cross over the river, maybe tried to cross it without a bridge. The river is very high and fast with extra spring runoff this year. Just speculation on my part.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's possible to cross the Fraser at any point. Where it's narrow its fast moving with lots of rapids. He could have fallen in anywhere up stream off Hwy 99. That route would have taken him through Whistler to Squamish and Horseshoe Bay where you can catch the ferry to Victoria.

It's a windy road but less traffic than down through the canyon and Fraser valley which is more congested. My thoughts are with Sean's family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back