Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #2 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltexans

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
[h=1]UPDATE: Police release new details about missing UI scholar[/h]
image1.PNG

Police spokesman Pat Wade said Yingying Zhang, 26, boarded a Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District Teal line bus at 1:35 p.m. Friday at the south shelter at the Orchard Downs complex in Urbana. She got off the bus at 1:52 p.m. at Springfield and Mathews avenues in Urbana and hasn't been seen since then.

Wade said the last time she was seen, Zhang was wearing a charcoal-gray hat with a white logo on the front, a white/pink flannel long-sleeve shirt, a white undershirt, jeans, white shoes and a navy-blue backpack. She has shoulder-length brown hair and wears glasses.
89416_0611_loca_yingying_zhang.jpg

Multiple attempts to contact her at her home and on her cellphone have been unsuccessful, Wade said. Police have also talked to friends and checked local hospitals, as is routine in missing-persons cases.

The visiting scholar from China was headed to the One North apartment complex on North Lincoln Avenue in Urbana on Friday to sign a lease, Wade said.

"She texted the property manager at One North at 1:30 p.m., said she was going to be late and never showed up. That was the last anyone has heard from her," he said.
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...ase-new-details-about-missing-ui-scholar.html

The FBI says it has located the car that a missing Chinese scholar studying at the University of Illinois was last seen getting into earlier this month.

The FBI said in a Tuesday statement that it's received "numerous leads" regarding the black Saturn Astra and won't need any further information on the vehicle. Authorities also said they've developed "several additional leads" in the investigation.

FBI spokesman Brad Ware declined to give further details.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/fbi-locates-car-related-to-missing-chinese-scholar-case/2155842/

Previous Thread - #1

As a Chinese I think I can speak for some of us. America is generally perceived in China as the country of liberty, independence and of course much development. If someone is less familiar with the US culture and society, then he might assume America to be much safer than China. But we are generally a safer country for the large population as well. People are always watching, so it's really rare for an adult kidnapping/serious assault to happen in broad daylight. Again, I'm not blaming any country or anyone here. The only evil person in this scenario is the perp himself.

Thank you. I am curious about the information given to foreign students coming to America to study. Are they prepared for this different culture? I realize Yingying is very book smart but I do wonder how street smart she was?

I just wanted to comment that I believe it is rare to have an adult kidnapping in either country.

I remember reading one of the news stories and watching the video. She waits, the car pulls up, they chat and she enters the car.

I don't think there was anything to capture anybody's attention.

It wasn't a back street but a main road nor was it dark outside.

Strange very strange.

On Tuesday, FBI investigators announced they have located the vehicle after receiving "numerous leads" from the public.

FBI spokesman Brad Ware declined to say where the car was found, or provide any details about the apparent breakthrough.
"We have developed several additional leads and would like to remind the public that this is still an active investigation," the agency said in a statement.

The Chinese Deputy Consul General in Chicago, Yu Peng, said after the car was discovered: "The Consulate General of The People's Republic of China in Chicago has been in close contact with [the university], police department and FBI."

A University of Illinois student march is planned for Thursday to show support for the missing student.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40433141

The search for Yingying Zhang: Day 19

Authorities have located the black Saturn Astra four-door hatchback Yingying Zhang was last seen getting into at 2:04 p.m. June 9 at the corner of West Clark Street and North Goodwin Avenue in Urbana, the FBI announced Tuesday. Springfield-based spokesman Brad Ware declined to provide detail as to where or when the vehicle was found.

"I can't give any details. It all has to do with the investigation," he said.

While emphasizing that the FBI has made progress in its investigation, Ware said: "We are still looking for" the visiting UI scholar whose name and photograph are among 81 highlighted on the bureau's "Most Wanted — Kidnappings and Missing Persons" page online.

Suspect vehicle found; investigation ongoing

Thursday, there will be a campus walk and a concert for Zhang. It's open to anyone who wants to support her. The walk will start at Krannert Center and end on North Goodwin Avenue, the street where Zhang was last seen.

Tuesday, people from all over Champaign gathered at UI to make banners for the event.

"Think of all the students that are from all over. It's just so important that our town, more than any town, reach out and to the students and their families and keep this message alive that we are constantly looking for her and thinking about her."

After the walk there will be a concert, where an orchestra will play some of Zhang's favorite Chinese music. The event starts at 6:30 pm, Thursday, at Krannert Center, on UI campus.

Thank you. I am curious about the information given to foreign students coming to America to study. Are they prepared for this different culture? I realize Yingying is very book smart but I do wonder how street smart she was?

I just wanted to comment that I believe it is rare to have an adult kidnapping in either country.

I remember reading one of the news stories and watching the video. She waits, the car pulls up, they chat and she enters the car.

I don't think there was anything to capture anybody's attention.

It wasn't a back street but a main road nor was it dark outside.

Strange very strange.

I can't speak for her but it is not that common to get into a stranger's car in any country in my opinion. Sometimes people do that, and most of the time you will get a ride from nice people. I don't know if she knew the guy. I guess we just have to wait for this to be over.

[video=twitter;880103422040522753]https://twitter.com/FBISpringfield/status/880103422040522753[/video]

[video=twitter;880106725931483136]https://twitter.com/find_yingying/status/880106725931483136[/video]

[video=twitter;880106725931483136]https://twitter.com/find_yingying/status/880106725931483136[/video]

"Continue to submit other related tips." Peculiar. Wonder if the vehicle was all citizen's were making tips on.

[video=twitter;880112313566715905]https://twitter.com/willpublicmedia/status/880112313566715905[/video]

On Tuesday, FBI investigators announced they have located the vehicle after receiving "numerous leads" from the public.

FBI spokesman Brad Ware declined to say where the car was found, or provide any details about the apparent breakthrough.
"We have developed several additional leads and would like to remind the public that this is still an active investigation," the agency said in a statement.

The Chinese Deputy Consul General in Chicago, Yu Peng, said after the car was discovered: "The Consulate General of The People's Republic of China in Chicago has been in close contact with [the university], police department and FBI."

A University of Illinois student march is planned for Thursday to show support for the missing student.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40433141
I know my topic was not mentioned in this post, but I'm jumping off this post (because it's relevant) with my own opinion about information being leaked accidentally. It's my opinion that if those who provided the tips or saw the FBI pick up the car, they were met face to face with FBI agents and specifically asked to not leak the info they provided. I don't think it will be leaked until the FBI wants it leaked.

"Continue to submit other related tips." Peculiar. Wonder if the vehicle was all citizen's were making tips on.
Let's hope someone failed to show up for work or something, or appeared with injuries of some sort (minor or major) - and that same person was known to be associated with the car, which suddenly (or unexpectedly/unusually) hasn't been seen since June 9.

This announcement takes the pressure off all the other owners of that kind of car, who may have felt under suspicion where ever they went. Can you imagine, the gas station attendant calling police when you gas up, neighbours watching you, etc

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Does anybody happen to know how far away from the apartment yingying was going to rent the abduction took place?

I wonder if there's a certain demographic that would buy and drive this particular car? Like, young/middle-aged/elderly people? Low income or middle class or well to do people? Appeals more likely to males or females? Is it a family car? Is it a fast car appealing to young males? etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member