bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Mackenzie Branham will not be forgotten
News, Top Stories

April 27, 2016

10 years later, authorities still determined to solve case
By Ryan Carter - ryancarter@civitasmedia.com

!!Murder Victim!! MacKenzie was 8 years old in April of 2006. She was a third grade student at Jeffersonville Elementary School. Mackenzie loved school and was a straight A student who was into athletics. Her teacher described her this way: "She always came to school each day with a big smile on her face. She was a happy go lucky young lady."
On April 8, 2006, Mackenzie was spending the night at her mother's house when it caught on fire. She died in her second floor bedroom and later the fire department declared the blaze a result of arson. To date no one has been arrested for deliberately setting the fire that killed MacKenzie.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=17280408

Man Cleared In House Fire That Killed Daughter

Published: 05/29/09 04:56 pm EDT.
Updated: 06/16/09 02:44 pm EDT.

The state Fire Marshal's Office said Friday that man whose 8-year-old daughter died in a 2006 house fire has been officially cleared in the investigation.

Donald Branham was considered a person of interest in a blaze that killed his daughter, Mackenzie Branham, on April 26, 2006.

Firefighters determined that the fire was intentionally set.

Investigators are still searching for the person responsible for the blaze.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to the state fire marshal, or the Fayette County Sheriff.

-----------
In June 2011, Mackenzie's body was exhumed for further forensic testing.

https://m.facebook.com/NewsDerek/po...tory_fbid=1249578651818662&id=170058299770708

Father upset evidence from his daughter's unsolved arson death was destroyed 11 years ago

By Steve Levine

Washington Courthouse —

The father of an eight-year-old ,who lost her life in an arson fire more than a decade ago, wants answers as to why her clothing was destroyed three months after she died.

"You just don't destroy it. You don't get rid of it," said Donald Branham, as he talked about the night his daughter Mackenzie died in a house fire in 2006.

"I am frustrated it's been 11 years," said Branham. "Every time I ask 'what's going on?' I am told 'it's under investigation.

[...]

Since the April 2006 deadly arson, Ohio's Fire Marshall, BCI agents, and the FBI have all played a role in looking for answers. Stanforth said his office has even hired independent investigators to look for clues.

The case took a twist a few weeks ago, when Branham learned the clothes his daughter was wearing the night she died was taken into evidence only to be destroyed.

"You don't have the clothing no more. Now what happens?" asked Branham.

[...]

Anyone with information about the deadly arson is asked to call the Fayette County Sheriff's Office at 740-335-6170

more at the link
http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/evidence-destroyed-in-2006-fire-that-killed-fayette-county-girl

Mackenzie Taylor Branham.jpg

(April 28, 2006) Girl, 8, dies in upstairs bedroom in house fire
Apr. 28--An 8-year-old Jeffersonville girl never made it off her bed before succumbing to a fire early yesterday. MacKenzie Branham died in a corner bedroom when the fire swept through her two-story home at 7 E. Walnut St. just before 2 a.m. Her mother, Mary Branham, and another resident both escaped the home but could not get to the second floor because of intense heat and smoke, according to the Fayette County sheriff's office. By the time firefighters from the Jefferson Township and Washington Court House fire departments arrived and were able to search the upstairs, MacKenzie was dead. The state fire marshal's office is investigating. …

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-145082198.html

!!Murder Victim!! MacKenzie was 8 years old in April of 2006. She was a third grade student at Jeffersonville Elementary School. Mackenzie loved school and was a straight A student who was into athletics. Her teacher described her this way: "She always came to school each day with a big smile on her face. She was a happy go lucky young lady." On April 8, 2006, Mackenzie was spending the night at her mother's house when it caught on fire. She died in her second floor bedroom and later the fire department declared the blaze a result of arson. To date no one has been arrested for deliberately setting the fire that killed MacKenzie.

** WARNING - Graphic photo **

(May 7, 2006) Deadly Ohio Blaze Ruled Arson

(modsnip)

The fire broke out in the Jeffersonville home just before 2 a.m. on April 27. When firefighters arrived, they found the body of MacKenzie Branham in her room, NewsChannel5 partner ONN reported. Officials said the 8-year-old never woke up.

(modsnip)

Authorities said they would not release the actual cause of the fire. Fire officials said they will re-interview several people -- including the victim's mother and boyfriend. The coroner will also conduct a second autopsy. The Blue Ribbon Arson Committee is offering up to a $5,000 reward. Anyone with information about the fire should call the State Fire Marshal's Fire and Explosion Investigation Bureau at (800) 589-2728 or the Fayette County Sheriff's Office at (740) 335-6170.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/104999...ze-ruled-arsonMackenzie house fire.jpg

(May 29, 2009) Man Cleared In House Fire That Killed Daughter
The state Fire Marshal's Office said Friday that man whose 8-year-old daughter died in a 2006 house fire has been officially cleared in the investigation. Donald Branham was considered a person of interest in a blaze that killed his daughter, Mackenzie Branham, on April 26, 2006. Firefighters determined that the fire was intentionally set. Investigators are still searching for the person responsible for the blaze. Anyone with information about the case is asked to the state fire marshal, or the Fayette County Sheriff.

Mackenzie's original headstone was stolen http://www.10tv.com/article/man-clea...illed-daughterMackenzie8.jpg

Mackenzie headstone.jpg Mackenzie's new headstone

(April 27, 2016) Mackenzie will not be forgotten -10 years later, authorities still determined to solve case
They have not forgotten what happened 10 years ago. Seemingly everyone with a connection to the Jeffersonville community remembers the horror they experienced when learning that a beloved 8-year-old local girl had been killed inside her home by a fire that was set intentionally. Some remember it more vividly – law enforcement, firefighters, EMS, other first responders, and of course, the family of the girl. On Wednesday – the 10th anniversary of Mackenzie Taylor Branham’s death – many of those who experienced the tragedy firsthand held a remembrance in honor of the little girl who would be approaching her 19th birthday if her life had not been stolen away. This remembrance at Mackenzie’s gravesite at Fairview Cemetery in Jeffersonville also served as a stark reminder that although the arson case has never been solved, Fayette County Sheriff Vernon Stanforth, other investigators, and Mackenzie’s father, Donald Branham, are resolute in their determination to find that one last piece of information. “We’re still looking for information,” said Stanforth. “This case is something we’ve worked on literally every day. BCI (Bureau of Criminal Investigation) has been involved in the case for a very long time, but they have now expanded their Crimes Against Children unit and they’ve assigned an agent to continue this case as one of their priority cases. We always try to get more eyes on this than just one person, just in case something was missed.” Mackenzie died in a corner bedroom during the early morning hours of April 27, 2006 when the fire swept through her two-story home at 7 E. Walnut St. in Jeffersonville. Her mother, Mary Branham, and another resident escaped the home without injury. By the time firefighters from the Jefferson Township and Washington C.H. fire departments arrived and were able to search the upstairs, Mackenzie was dead. Members of the Jefferson Township Fire Department were also on hand Wednesday for the remembrance. “Some of my guys now, these firefighters, were in Mackenzie’s class,” said Aaron Hauer, Jefferson Township fire chief. “Although it’s been 10 years, we aren’t giving up. Hopefully someone catches a conscience and lets us know what happened. Ten years later, but this is still very real for our community. We owe it to Mackenzie to make sure we never forget.” Hauer and Stanforth placed a wreath by the gravesite on Wednesday. Robin Beekman, owner of Robin’s Nest in Jeffersonville, donated the wreath. Stanforth said he still believes the information that would finally solve this case is out there, just waiting to be divulged. “Someone has information that they haven’t shared with us….we know that,” said Stanforth. “BCI looked at this comprehensively and independently of the state fire marshal’s office, and they concurred that it was arson. There is no question in our minds that it was deliberately set. Now it’s about finding that missing piece. The hurt of losing a child is immeasurable and we are in contact with the father on a regular basis. We are not going to give up on this.”

http://recordherald.com/news/6072/ma...t-be-forgotten

(May 20, 2017) Father upset evidence from his daughter's unsolved arson death was destroyed 11 years ago
Washington Courthouse —

(modsnip)

Fayette County Sheriff Vernon Stanforth said his office has aggressively been searching for leads and evidence in the case since the day it happened, but have no possible suspects or motive why the home was set on fire. "We have information that we are not sharing publicly, because the person who did this, or has knowledge about who did this, only they, have the information," said Stanforth. Since the April 2006 deadly arson, Ohio's Fire Marshall, BCI agents, and the FBI have all played a role in looking for answers. Stanforth said his office has even hired independent investigators to look for clues. The case took a twist a few weeks ago, when Branham learned the clothes his daughter was wearing the night she died was taken into evidence only to be destroyed. "You don't have the clothing no more. Now what happens?" asked Branham. The Montgomery County Coroner's office tells ABC 6/FOX 28, the Fayette County Coroner's office requested the wet and partially burned clothes be destroyed three months after the fire, because they had little significance to the case. Sheriff Stanforth said his investigators never had the chance to inspect the clothing, which had been in the possession of the coroner's office. "I am disappointed we didn't have the option, but there is nothing we can do now," said Stanforth. Friends and family may never get a full explanation as to why the clothes were destroyed. The original investigator on the case, and the Fayette County Coroner at the time of the fire, have both passed away. Anyone with information about the deadly arson is asked to call the Fayette County Sheriff's Office at 740-335-6170.

(Video) http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local...te-county-girl

(June 1, 2017) - Father questions investigation - Stanforth provides update on probe into Mackenzie’s death
On what would have been Mackenzie Branham’s 20th birthday, new questions and accusations surfaced Wednesday as Mackenzie’s father, Donald Branham, expressed frustration with the investigation into his daughter’s death. Branham, who protested Wednesday outside of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office annex building, claims that the sheriff’s office botched the investigation by allowing key evidence to be destroyed.

(modsnip)

“Just a few months ago, I was watching a TV program on the murder of JonBenet Ramsey when something came to my attention,” said Branham. Ramsey was killed in her family’s home in Boulder, Colo. the night of Dec. 25-26 at the age of 6. The case still remains an open investigation. “During this show, they brought up touch DNA,” Branham said.

“Touch DNA” is a forensic method used for analyzing DNA left at the scene of a crime which requires very small samples, such as skin cells left on an object after it’s been touched.

“So I told (Fayette County Sheriff Vernon Stanforth) that I wanted the touch DNA from my child’s clothing,” Branham said. “And he asked me why. Another time they told me that they lost the clothes. My question is, ‘Who destroys the clothing from a body during an ongoing investigation?’”

During an interview Wednesday, Stanforth said his office never had possession of Mackenzie’s clothing. “I don’t have any reason to believe that the clothing had evidentiary value and plus they would have been looked at before the autopsy at the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office,” Stanforth said.

“I understand that Donald is upset and that he would be frustrated with the status of the investigation. But this case has been the highest priority for us for 11 years. I have great sympathy for the Branham family, but it’s disappointing that he has taken this position.”

(modsnip)

Branham said Wednesday he believes that a former Fayette County Sheriff’s Office deputy was involved in Mackenzie’s death before the fire was set and that the fire was set to “cover their tracks.”

He’s also accusing the sheriff’s office of “covering up” for the former deputy, who is now deceased.

“You can’t tell me that Vernon or anyone else didn’t know that the clothes were going to be destroyed,” said Branham. “And now they blame it on the coroner who isn’t here anymore.”

Investigators say the cause of Mackenzie’s death was smoke inhalation. “The flames never engulfed her, her body just reacted from the intense heat,” Stanforth said. “She was alive when the smoke got to her, which means she was alive when the fire was set. Until recently, I’ve had almost daily conversations with Donald and we would look into his theories and keep him updated. We certainly were not trying to destroy any evidence or cover up anything.”

Other than the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office, several other agencies have investigated this case, including the Ohio Fire Marshal’s Office and the Bureau of Criminal Investigation. “This has not been done in a vacuum,” said Stanforth. “We hired a special investigator who worked on this case because we wanted a fresh perspective in case we were missing something.

We’re still working with arson investigators from the Fire Marshal’s Office, BCI has been involved throughout the entire investigation. We had a special prosecutor from the Major Crimes Unit at the Attorney General’s Office as part of the BCI team. We consulted the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) and the FBI Behavior Science section. So when we ask for help from these agencies, everything is fair game.”

Branham insisted that despite the resources utilized in this investigation, the destruction of potential DNA evidence is unexplainable. “DNA lasts for 521 years. Water does not destroy DNA, neither does bleach or a lot of these household products. You’re telling me all these years that this has been their number one priority case and they brought all of these people in. But there was not one single person who asked where are the clothes? Come on, man. Every piece of evidence is a key in this and you destroy it? I’m going to have to get an attorney. Because what else has been destroyed? What else is missing?”

Stanforth said it would have been inappropriate for his office to take the clothing since the body was turned over to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office. “The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office is one of the most professional coroner’s offices in the state of Ohio,” said Stanforth. “If there was anything suspicious about the clothing, they would have informed us.” Stanforth said the case continues to be top priority and the investigation will continue. “Again, I feel such sympathy for the family. No one can imagine exactly what they’re going through with the loss of that little girl,” said Stanforth. “I can’t guarantee that this case will be solved. Currently, there is no person of interest but we’re hopeful that someone comes forward with a key piece of the puzzle that we need to put it all together. There have been so many different entities that have investigated this case independently. We’re not going to investigate or try this case on Facebook.”

http://recordherald.com/news/14950/f...-investigation

(June 23, 2017) Fayette County investigators exhume 8-year-old's body killed in 2006 unsolved arson case *************************
Jeffersonville — (modsnip)

On Tuesday, the little girl's remains were removed from a Jeffersonville grave site, so additional forensic testing can be done by The Montgomery County Coroner's office. Fayette County Sheriff Vernon Stanforth declined to tell ABC 6/FOX 28 what specific DNA testing is being done, but said they are having samples tested because of new DNA technology advancements that have been made over the past few years. "We have been talking about doing this for a while," said Stanforth, "hopefully we will find something, looking for the ah-ha moment." The sheriff admits because of the age of the remains; they may end up with nothing. Stanforth says results won’t be made available for months. "my daughter has a story to tell," said Branham, "there are now a new set of eyes." Branham family and friends held a re-internment service on Tuesday when Mackenzie's remains were returned to her gravesite. "I got to wrap my arms around her coffin and kiss the top of it," said Branham. A public memorial is planned for Saturday Afternoon at 5 p.m. at Fairview Cemetery ion Jeffersonville.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/loca...-olds-body-killed-in-2006-unsolved-arson-case

View attachment 119365 View attachment 119366 View attachment 119367

(June 23, 2017) - Mackenzie Branham’s father releases new information in unsolved case - Donald Branham: Coroner’s report has surfaced
(modsnip)

When Branham learned in May of 2017 that the clothes had been destroyed back in 2006, he organized a protest for May 30 at the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office annex building. “I wanted to ask why my daughter’s clothes were destroyed because you don’t destroy evidence after three months of investigation. You don’t destroy something that is relevant to the case,” said Branham. “The Montgomery County Coroner supposedly said the clothes were wet and singed and felt that there was nothing they could do with the clothes, but that’s not true because I did my own investigation of DNA and found that DNA can last 521 years, and water or any kind of solution does not destroy DNA.” Branham said that during the protest in Washington Court House May 30, a local resident came to the protest and asked to see the reports from the coroner’s office that were filed concerning Mackenzie’s death. After reviewing the files, the woman told Branham there was much more to the story — including an additional report from the coroner that had never been filed. Branham said he doesn’t know why the additional coroner’s report was never filed or why someone is just now coming forward with the report.

(modsnip)

And even though it has been 11 years since his daughter’s tragic death, Branham said he is not surprised that this old coroner’s report has surfaced. “I did know there was another report out there because Dr. Mesker (current Fayette County coroner) mentioned to me a few years ago that there were some things missing out of Mackenzie’s file,” said Branham.

According to Branham, the Fayette County Coroner who responded to the scene of the fire at the time of Mackenzie’s death was Dr. Albert G. Gay, who has since passed away. Branham said the newly-surfaced report is Dr. Gay’s own notes from the scene of the fire April 27, 2006 and contains new information about what happened to Mackenzie. Branham said that the report from the coroner that he has relied on for information for 11 years provides a description of Mackenzie’s body. Branham said the newly-surfaced coroner’s report includes descriptions of the crime scene and statements from the firemen and others who responded to the fire immediately. “What’s more important is the crime scene. You’re talking to witnesses down there, you’re supposed to do certain things at the crime scene,” said Branham.

(modsnip)

“I already knew about the pick-up truck being in the road. I knew about the doors being open, and the mother’s cell phone on the front seat, and the firemen moving the truck out of the way so they could fight the fire.

(modsnip)

http://www.recordherald.com/news/15...her-releases-new-information-in-unsolved-case

Justice for Mackenzie Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Justice-for-Mackenzie-814616735353231/?ref=br_rs Justice For Murdered Mackenzie Taylor Branham Group Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1609847245716373/ (Video) SPECIAL REPORT: The Story of MacKenzie Branham https://www.facebook.com/NewsDerek/videos/1204997132943481/
(Video) LIVE: MacKenzie Branham Update https://www.facebook.com/NewsDerek/videos/1209512075825320/
(Video) Justice For MacKenzie https://www.facebook.com/NewsDerek/videos/1215107651932429/
(Video) Happy Birthday, Mackenzie. Your community won't stop fighting. https://www.facebook.com/NewsDerek/videos/1227486127361248/
(Video) Balloon Launch https://www.facebook.com/NewsDerek/videos/1227932823983245/

So sad....justice for Mackenzie...

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

:bump:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Does anybody know what would cause an 8 year old child to not get up out of bed when they are encircled by fire? I just can't wrap my head around that :(

View attachment 119365 View attachment 119366 View attachment 119367

(June 23, 2017) - Mackenzie Branham’s father releases new information in unsolved case - Donald Branham: Coroner’s report has surfaced
(modsnip)

When Branham learned in May of 2017 that the clothes had been destroyed back in 2006, he organized a protest for May 30 at the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office annex building. “I wanted to ask why my daughter’s clothes were destroyed because you don’t destroy evidence after three months of investigation. You don’t destroy something that is relevant to the case,” said Branham. “The Montgomery County Coroner supposedly said the clothes were wet and singed and felt that there was nothing they could do with the clothes, but that’s not true because I did my own investigation of DNA and found that DNA can last 521 years, and water or any kind of solution does not destroy DNA.” Branham said that during the protest in Washington Court House May 30, a local resident came to the protest and asked to see the reports from the coroner’s office that were filed concerning Mackenzie’s death. After reviewing the files, the woman told Branham there was much more to the story — including an additional report from the coroner that had never been filed. Branham said he doesn’t know why the additional coroner’s report was never filed or why someone is just now coming forward with the report.

(modsnip)

And even though it has been 11 years since his daughter’s tragic death, Branham said he is not surprised that this old coroner’s report has surfaced. “I did know there was another report out there because Dr. Mesker (current Fayette County coroner) mentioned to me a few years ago that there were some things missing out of Mackenzie’s file,” said Branham.

According to Branham, the Fayette County Coroner who responded to the scene of the fire at the time of Mackenzie’s death was Dr. Albert G. Gay, who has since passed away. Branham said the newly-surfaced report is Dr. Gay’s own notes from the scene of the fire April 27, 2006 and contains new information about what happened to Mackenzie. Branham said that the report from the coroner that he has relied on for information for 11 years provides a description of Mackenzie’s body. Branham said the newly-surfaced coroner’s report includes descriptions of the crime scene and statements from the firemen and others who responded to the fire immediately. “What’s more important is the crime scene. You’re talking to witnesses down there, you’re supposed to do certain things at the crime scene,” said Branham.

(modsnip)

“I already knew about the pick-up truck being in the road. I knew about the doors being open, and the mother’s cell phone on the front seat, and the firemen moving the truck out of the way so they could fight the fire.

(modsnip)

Mackenzie Branham’s father releases new information in unsolved case - The Record Herald

Wow! It took fifteen (15) to twenty (20) minutes for someone to mention: Oh, Hey, there's a little girl in the second floor bedroom. Really?! I would have been running around screaming about my child! They would have known she was in there from the moment they arrived. Is this being responsible? Is my opinion 'out there?' But, okay, I am not trying to bash anyone here. My reaction would have been different. They all lost a beautiful soul that day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back