PA - Philadelphia, Infant Organs Found in Small Casket on Sidewalk, 3 July 2017

The cemetery might not be distributed but I sure am.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Wow. My only guess is someone who worked in the funeral or coroner's office was aware of the illegal selling of organs from people who have no idea that they are doing that to their relatives.

This would be this anonymous person's attempt to let authorities know what is going on and to hopefully get them in trouble without losing their own job.

Or the person that is doing the selling of the organs was using this method to deliver the organs and the pickup person didnt show up in time before it got discovered.

Just a couple guesses as to how something like this could have happened.

Whatever the story I sure hope investigators get to the bottom of it.

Infant Casket With Human Organs Inside Found On North Philly Sidewalk

“According to the medical examiner, [they] were in fact human organs. They believed they belonged to an infant or a child,” said Chief Inspector Scott Small. “What’s unusual is other than the bag of organs there was no body.”

“There have been cases where people take remains or human bodies for whatever unusual reason they decide,” Small said, “but we’re going to look into that.”

I wonder if they'd been intended for donation, but then something went horribly wrong?

I do know that in preparation for embalming, they remove the organs and put them in a bag inside the casket. I was shocked to find that out! I can't think of a reason that a baby casket would be just sitting on the street like that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do know that in preparation for embalming, they remove the organs and put them in a bag inside the casket. I was shocked to find that out! I can't think of a reason that a baby casket would be just sitting on the street like that though.

Thank you for this. I've now learned more about embalming than I ever wanted to, but it sounds like that would be a simple explanation for what happened here. The organs and the body were separated and then someone did something stupid to hide the mistake, maybe.

How awful for the family and loved ones. Imagine! Truly awful.

But if that's the case it shouldn't be hard for detectives to figure it out.

If embalming were a surgery, it would be considered minimally invasive. All the embalmer needs is access to an artery, and that only requires an inch-long incision. The misconception might come from confusion between embalming and autopsy, in which organs are removed, weighed, studied, and sometimes sampled for testing. This is done by a pathologist, not an embalmer. After an autopsy, organs are placed back into the body prior to receipt at the funeral home for embalming.

http://listverse.com/2014/11/23/10-horrible-myths-and-misconceptions-about-embalming/

Organs are not normally removed, unless there was an autopsy.

That makes sense. My experience is based on the death of my 6 month old nephew. His death required an autopsy, as most child deaths do. We had 2 funerals in 2 different states. The one in which he died, and then again after we brought him home. In my case, the organs were in fact in a bag in the casket.

Maybe the funeral director was trying to somehow make me feel better about it by saying it was a normal part of preparing the body.

OK, but what could be the reason for the casket ending up on the sidewalk?

Somebody screwed up, I would guess.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Like this funeral director did. Instead of delivering the bodies to the crematorium he stashed them in his garage.

the remains of 19 deceased babies and more than 300 fetuses had been found in a garage at the former Newman-Winston Memorial Chapel on Jenny Lind Avenue. Mr. Winston had been hired by Magee-Womens Hospital to deliver the remains to a cremation facility in Ross.

In the plea agreement, Deputy District Attorney Janet Necessary dropped charges alleging that another 18 deceased newborn babies given to Mr. Winston's care from 2000 to 2002 were mishandled by being stashed in labeled boxes in the same garage.
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/s...draws-plea-in-fetus-case/stories/200709070270

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-infants-casket-was-dumped-on-sidewalk-by-funeral-home-employee/

Philadelphia police say a small casket containing embalmed remains of an infant that was found on a city sidewalk was dumped there by an employee of a New Jersey funeral home.

Jones says a latch on the casket broke before the baby's funeral and workers at the funeral home were forced to transfer the child to a different casket. It was unclear why the organs were left inside the broken casket.

aw, heck no. Still, with the explanation, this is yucky. Just feels bad and sad.

aw, heck no. Still, with the explanation, this is yucky. Just feels bad and sad.

I wonder if the person who moved the body to another casket forgot the bag and freaked out later?

Makes no sense anyway I look at it.

Oh my gosh.
Can you imagine being this babies parents?

I don't understand... I mean... I can understand an error, and I think I can understand misplacing some organs (not a thought I would ever be typing out), but I can't understand discovering the error and dealing with it by putting an infant coffin with the remains out on the sidewalk. I wonder if the person who made the error didn't want to fess up to it, but wanted to return the bag to the family??

Oh my gosh.
Can you imagine being this babies parents?

I don't understand... I mean... I can understand an error, and I think I can understand misplacing some organs (not a thought I would ever be typing out), but I can't understand discovering the error and dealing with it by putting an infant coffin with the remains out on the sidewalk. I wonder if the person who made the error didn't want to fess up to it, but wanted to return the bag to the family??

The article says the worker didn't know the organs were inside the casket, which was the original casket, but had a broken latch, so they switched the baby to a new casket and the old one, which mistakenly still contained the bag or organs, was to be disposed of "properly." I don't have any idea what process is, but the worker did not follow it, obviously, and instead dumped it on a sidewalk in North Philly, not knowing about the bag inside.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back