MI - Jamere Arnold, 8, dies of fentanyl OD, Detroit, 5 July 2017

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Alcohol poisoning suspected in 8-year-old boy's death in Detroit
Family says he may have drank alcoholic drink at home

By Jason Colthorp - Reporter , Dave Bartkowiak Jr.

Posted: 12:24 PM, July 06, 2017
Updated: 12:28 PM, July 06, 2017

DETROIT - Detroit police are investigating whether alcohol is a factor in an 8-year-old boy's death Thursday morning.*

The boy may have gotten ahold of someone's cup containing alcohol at a home in the 19900 block of Conley Street. That's according to his grandmother, who lives at the home.*

Police were called about 1:30 a.m. for a sick boy. He was rushed to a hospital where he fell into cardiac arrest and died...*

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/alcohol-poisoning-suspected-in-8-year-old-boys-death-in-detroit

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...-drank-liquor-cardiac-arrest-death/103462628/

How much alcohol would it take to kill a child? I feel like it would be more than what's in one cup huh?

When my daughter was that age, I caught her drinking my Captain Morgan wine coolers, she thought it was kool-aide. That is the last time I ever had liquor in my house. They are slippery lil buggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smh. I just can't even...

makes me want to scream.

but what a cutie in his Pistons cap!

This is so sad. I think the amount of alcohol would depend on what proof. I wonder if the concoction was something sweet, though, unless someone begins with "alcoholic drinking" aka, drinking to get drunk the first time and everytime they drink, they usually don't like the buzzed feeling and stop consuming alcohol. Kids don't know the consequences of over consuming. I also wonder if he was used to seeing adults get drunk and they were drunk whIle he was drinking.

The first time I got drunk I was in middle school and vomited while sleeping not knowing I could get sick, I'm lucky I didn't die.

Its never too early to teach kids about safety with alcohol, especially with so many video games and social media tricks......

So sad for this kids family. A tough tragic lesson.

Isn't it ironic though, had he consumed another toxic substance that would be considered "drugs" the whole flavor of this accident would be different. I don't even know what I'm getting at here. But it's a thought that just popped up in my head... Poor little guy. So sad
For his family.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

may have got ahold of someone's cup?
or was forced to drink some as punishment or 'just for fun' ... ?

I want so badly that this turns out to be innocent (as innocent as it can be without starting a huge debate) - that no one intentionally made him drink this, or forced it on him or poisoned him. Can't get him out of my mind now that I've seen his pic.

I was thinking about punishment but dismissed the thought as secondary to something more along the lines of the adults drinking and the possibility of them playing/seeing grand theft auto. Lots of young people play it and the characters in the game can get drunk or high by drinking hard liquor or smoking a bong and the game simulates what being stoned or drunk looks like for a few minutes before it wears off. A child wouldn't know drugs and alcohol don't wear off that quickly in real life like it does in the game.

Updated WDIV report:

8-year-old Detroit boy dies from suspected alcohol poisoning
Family says he may have drank alcoholic drink at home

By Jason Colthorp - Reporter , Derick Hutchinson

Posted: 5:44 PM, July 06, 2017
Updated: 5:55 PM, July 06, 2017

DETROIT - A Detroit mother is devastated after her 8-year-old son went into cardiac arrest and died from suspected alcohol poisoning, police said.

The family has been gathering all day Thursday at the home on Detroit's east side to grieve the tragedy...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/8-year-old-detroit-boy-dies-from-suspected-alcohol-poisoning

I was thinking about punishment but dismissed the thought as secondary to something more along the lines of the adults drinking and the possibility of them playing/seeing grand theft auto. Lots of young people play it and the characters in the game can get drunk or high by drinking hard liquor or smoking a bong and the game simulates what being stoned or drunk looks like for a few minutes before it wears off. A child wouldn't know drugs and alcohol don't wear off that quickly in real life like it does in the game.

I would hope that an 8yo would not be allowed to play a game rated 'M' (mature, for 17+) but you never know.

I would hope that an 8yo would not be allowed to play a game rated 'M' (mature, for 17+) but you never know.

My son has a lot of frIends that play this game. Many of them playing are fairly young. There is a strip club in GTA and a lot of the kids are told to not go to that area of the game, but are allowed to play the other areas. Its a known thing with gamers that GTA was made for adults but is mostly played by kids, and Pokémon go was made for kids but is mostly played by adults.

It's just something that crossed my mind why an 8 you old might be inclined to want to try alcohol.

Not that a lot of adults don't have alcohol in their homes, but with the holiday just occurring that's especially true.

Officials identify 8-year-old Detroit boy who died from suspected alcohol poisoning
Family says Jamere Arnold may have drank alcoholic drink at home

By Jason Colthorp - Reporter , Derick Hutchinson

Posted: 10:43 AM, July 07, 2017

DETROIT - Officials have identified the 8-year-old Detroit boy suspected of dying from alcohol poisoning as Jamere Arnold.

Jamere's mother is devastated after her 8-year-old son went into cardiac arrest and died from suspected alcohol poisoning, police said.

The family gathered all day Thursday at the home on Detroit's east side to grieve the tragedy...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...boy-who-died-from-suspected-alcohol-poisoning

Please keep JA's family in your thoughts and prayers. Rest in peace, little guy :rose:

The lethal dose of alcohol is 5 to 8g/kg (3g/kg for children) – that is, for a 60kg person, 300g of alcohol can kill, which is equal to 30 standard drinks (about 1 litre of spirits or four bottles of wine).

http://www.alcohol.org.nz/alcohol-its-effects/health-effects/alcohol-poisoning

Doing the math ... an 8 yr old boy weights 25 kgs, so 75g of alchohol would be a lethal dose. This would be about 7.5 standard drinks.

The lethal dose of alcohol is 5 to 8g/kg (3g/kg for children) – that is, for a 60kg person, 300g of alcohol can kill, which is equal to 30 standard drinks (about 1 litre of spirits or four bottles of wine).

http://www.alcohol.org.nz/alcohol-its-effects/health-effects/alcohol-poisoning

Doing the math ... an 8 yr old boy weights 25 kgs, so 75g of alchohol would be a lethal dose. This would be about 7.5 standard drinks.

How is that even possibleeeee did he slam a 12 pack!? Ugh what a tragedy :(

How is that even possibleeeee did he slam a 12 pack!? Ugh what a tragedy :(

Yeah. Normally, if a kid gets into too much alchohol, someone will take the kid to the hospital for treatment.

there's got to be more here. Sorry for you, sweet boy... that you won't get to play and learn and grown and do and be.

my mom and aunt used to get up early after their parents had a party and drink all the left behind water down 7 and 7's. lol the 50's....

When my daughter was that age, I caught her drinking my Captain Morgan wine coolers, she thought it was kool

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back