Identified! MI - Leelanau Co., WhtMale UP16795, 50-75, in Lake Michigan, Jul'17 - Marcus Adams

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Found body still not identified

Leelanau County Sheriff Mike Borkovich said preliminary autopsy results released Wednesday point toward drowning as the cause of death.
But authorities have few clues to the man’s identity or what happened. Authorities on Wednesday did recover a half-sunken gray rubber dinghy near the body’s location, but the watercraft offered scant evidence as to whether it was connected to the man.
The investigation began on the July 4 holiday at 10:11 a.m. when a charter boat captain called 911 to report a body in the water. Sheriff’s deputies, Glen Lake Fire and Rescue personnel and National Parks Service rangers fished the body from the water about 1.5 miles off Leland. A boat and helicopter search by U.S. Coast Guard personnel failed to find any boat wreckage or other bodies.
The man had gray hair and appeared between 55 and 70 years old, Borkovich said. He said the autopsy found no signs of foul play. Michigan State Police officials will let investigators use a portable fingerprint scanner, but that will only yield an identification if the man was fingerprinted before, he said.

Borkovich hopes the man’s clothing — which he considered “very odd” for summer — could yield some tips to the identity. The man wore black sweatsuit pants with two white stripes down the legs, a black jacket with white stripes on the sleeve cuffs and white high top tennis shoes.

The man also had his hood up — a potential clue about weather conditions at the time he went into the water, Borkovich said.
Autopsy results indicated the man could have floated in the water for about a week — a longer period of time than authorities initially believed. Temperatures from the past week recorded by a nearby weather station show a few cooler days during that span, said Jim Keysor, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

Keysor said low temperatures Sunday reached 57 degrees. He said the lows on Monday and Tuesday mornings plunged to 51 degrees.
http://www.record-eagle.com/news/lo...cle_511b88b9-7fa9-5fb2-aa95-41220ac68339.html

Possible suicide?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/16795

NamUs has the black plastic item described as a "black electronic device" and a "digital alarm clock." It appears to have a front panel that flips open and I wonder if they took a closer look at any buttons under the panel and their functions.

IMHO it looks more like a pedometer, which would make sense with John Doe's athletic clothing if he was out for exercise and wanted to count his steps, maybe at the advice of his doctor.

It also looks a bit like a pager, but those are often clearly marked with a brand name.

Just a random shot in the dark here based on the water currents:
A: Assumption based on the half sunken dinghy belonging to the UID. These dinghy's are more like small boats with at least a 5-10 HP engine on them.
1. Was this man taking the half sunken dinghy back and forth between North and South Manitou Islands, Beaver Island, Hog Island, Garden Islands and Leland?
2. Was the point of origination further north based on the express currents from Naubinway, Epoufette, and Brefort to the Leland area?

Bumping, somebody has to be missing this gentleman....

I'm wondering what he might have bought before he went into the water. Coffee? The chapstick? And it's hard to question clerks or look for video footage when it's not even known from where the man originated.

I don't know any men who really carry coins unless they've received change lately , and it looks like this guy had a money clip. $47.76 in cash and coins - he probably left home with $50 even.

All great points! The only known is that the water current flow towards the recovery location is pretty strong from the north. That leaves a gigantic point of origin! Actually, based on my map, I'm guessing approx 3,375 sq. miles!

Knowing the amount of cash was mostly likely $50 to start the day and that he likely made a small purchase that morning, may help rule out the surrounding islands and westwardly States as a point of origin.

A lot of times, those safety dinghy's are used by BIG boat owners to travel short distances while in the harbor. Marinas to the north may be able to garner information about boats that may be missing a safety dinghy with an owner that hasn't used the boat in some time.

Could the engine of the dinghy have a product number associated with it that would allow it's sale track to be followed?

Somebody should be missing a relative or friend during all of the summer events. I can't believe that he will go unnoticed much longer.

I wonder if LE plans to release a sketch of the guy? It may help to have an image of some type to compare to missing people cases. Sure would like to reunite this guy with his loved ones.

As I was wondering if this person could have been Canadian, I located this while doing a general search based on the known parameters. I know it's a looong shot but NameUs search returned:
Josep Vaccaro https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/38830/2/
On a return trip home (Florida) from Canada they (son & Mother (Fannie)) disappeared. Cell phone goes straight to voice mail, no one has heard anything from them. Joey was supposed to be back at work on June 23rd and has not done so.

With his entire family missing, it would make sense nobody seems to be missing him. Is it possible their return trip from Canada to Florida brought them down through the U.P.?

As I was wondering if this person could have been Canadian, I located this while doing a general search based on the known parameters. I know it's a looong shot but NameUs search returned:
Josep Vaccaro https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/38830/2/

With his entire family missing, it would make sense nobody seems to be missing him. Is it possible their return trip from Canada to Florida brought them down through the U.P.?

Weird, I can't find anything else about this missing family. IMO, it's unlikely anyone returning to Canada from Florida would go through the UP of Michigan unless they lived right there by the border. The more likely route would be through NY, IMO. Or, if they were going through Michigan, they would cross over the border near Detroit. JMO. Plus, for this family to get from Florida to Michigan they would encounter so many toll roads, cameras and license plate scanners that their car would be spotted. They would be spotted crossing the Mackinaw Bridge too. But the report just says they are missing from Florida. It's unlikely they left Florida in their car. JMO.

All valid points, it's nice to have a discussion on this case. I'd only offer that if something criminal happened, it could put put them in the region by their own doing, or somebody else's. Later, I'll try to learn more about this missing family. So odd that there's no mention of them as missing in any media.

There's not even a thread for them here. If you find MSM reports, I will start a thread. How can a whole family go missing and no one reports on it?

NameUs: Ryan Wallsworth https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/37259/7/

Walsworth had expressed to his family that he had been contemplating suicide. His white 2012 Ford F150 Crew Cab pickup was found abandoned on Montgomery Boulevard, along Lake Michigan west of Bass Lake.

An early Feb. last seen date makes this a long shot. However, the general area fits. Could a body stay preserved in the cold deep water? Could the lake "roll over" and produce a body in somewhat decent condition?

NameUs: Ryan Wallsworth https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/37259/7/

An early Feb. last seen date makes this a long shot. However, the general area fits. Could a body stay preserved in the cold deep water? Could the lake "roll over" and produce a body in somewhat decent condition?

This looks like a good possibility, even with the Feb missing date. What if he didn't commit suicide in Feb, but was living homeless for a few months? That would explain the winter clothing.

[h=1]No Name Yet on 'Mystery' Body Found July 4 in Lake Michigan[/h]
LELAND, Mich. (AP) — More than three weeks later, authorities in northern Michigan still are trying to identify the body of a man found in Lake Michigan.

The body was found on July 4, about a mile (1.61 kilometers) from the Leland Harbor in Leelanau County. It was a white man believed to be between ages 50 and 75.

The sheriff's office released a photo sketch of what the man probably looked like before his death. A small boat was discovered about 8 miles (12.8 kilometers) from the body, but any connection is unknown.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...on-mystery-body-found-july-4-in-lake-michigan

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back