Spielberg Remaking Mary Poppins?!?

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My thought: leave it alone! The original was so good!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=372837&in_page_id=1773

snip

She is the magical nanny adored by thousands of children around the world.

A woman who is, by her own admission, practically perfect in every way.

So it is hard to imagine how Hollywood thinks it can improve Mary Poppins by giving her a makeover.

Yet the world's most extraordinary nanny may soon return to the cinema thanks to a remake being planned by Steven Spielberg.

The man behind films such as ET and Jurassic Park is joining forces with Sir Richard Eyre, the former head of the National Theatre, to produce a new take on the 1964 Disney classic.

Sir Richard, who directed the hugely successful West End version, is hoping he can convince Spielberg to keep Mary Poppins English. He said: "I'm taking the stage show to Broadway next year, and I want to take the English cast with me.

"I think the studio will use the success of the Broadway show to decide whether or not to use the English cast for the film.

"But I would hope to use as much of the West End cast as possible and keep Mary English rather than have the role go to a big American star name."

Sir Richard, 62, will direct the remake, while Spielberg takes a hands-on executive producer role. Sir Richard, who also directed Iris starring Dame Judi Dench, said: "I think it will be hard to outdo the original. But kids love the story and I'm sure that the remake will be a real success." .....

its been so long since i have seen that movie, they have to start remaking stuff because hollywood is running out of things to do......:sick:
Also, does anyone remember that horror movie "when a stranger call" well they just remade that as well, and that was a scary one, but they are never as good as the originals....

michelle said:
its been so long since i have seen that movie, they have to start remaking stuff because hollywood is running out of things to do......:sick:
Also, does anyone remember that horror movie "when a stranger call" well they just remade that as well, and that was a scary one, but they are never as good as the originals....
That's how I usually feel, but I thought the new Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp was better than Gene Wilder's.

IdahoMom said:
That's how I usually feel, but I thought the new Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp was better than Gene Wilder's.
yea that was better.....i wonder if people think KONG is better as well, seems like everyone liked that one....I never seen the original...

The reason for remaking Mary Poppins has more to do with keeping the rights to the character tied up for another generation.

Other movies that have suffered rather pointless remakes (as opposed to sequels):
Psycho
The Fog
Yours, Mine & Ours
Father Of The Bride
Planet Of The Apes

IdahoMom said:
Oh I was just going to say the opposite. I just saw the new one and waas disappointed! The songs were all wrong and Johnny Depp wasn't nealry as sassy as Gene Wilder. JD had that Michael Jackson thing going on and it was just wrong!!

BillyGoatGruff said:
The reason for remaking Mary Poppins has more to do with keeping the rights to the character tied up for another generation.

Other movies that have suffered rather pointless remakes (as opposed to sequels):
Psycho
The Fog
Yours, Mine & Ours
Father Of The Bride
Planet Of The Apes
I liked the remake of Cape Fear! Scarrrryyyy!

JBean said:
Oh I was just going to say the opposite. I just saw the new one and waas disappointed! The songs were all wrong and Johnny Depp wasn't nealry as sassy as Gene Wilder. JD had that Michael Jackson thing going on and it was just wrong!!
I liked the layers to Johnny Depp's character. I thought he was very funny....loved the OCD twist, too. :crazy:

Madonna for Mary Poppins???? Who's English and sings?

I thought Reese Witherspoon was good in Walk the Line.

Nope, I don't think you can duplicate Julie Andrews.

Please don't makeover The Sound of Music, either. Some things are just classic and should be left alone, at least for 50 years.

Marthatex said:
Madonna for Mary Poppins???? Who's English and sings?

I thought Reese Witherspoon was good in Walk the Line.

Nope, I don't think you can duplicate Julie Andrews.

Please don't makeover The Sound of Music, either. Some things are just classic and should be left alone, at least for 50 years.
They could just skip the singing and simply make a movie of the actual book (or books) instead of the musical Disney version.

Glad it's just a rumor, but I was going to say if they insist on doing this, Kate Winslet would make a lovely English Mary Poppins, and she has a beautiful singing voice, too.

englishleigh said:
Glad it's just a rumor, but I was going to say if they insist on doing this, Kate Winslet would make a lovely English Mary Poppins, and she has a beautiful singing voice, too.
I agree, she is one talented actress.

BillyGoatGruff said:
They could just skip the singing and simply make a movie of the actual book (or books) instead of the musical Disney version.

Hadn't thought of that.

Yes, Kate Winslet would be great; she and Depp were good in Neverland.

OH NO!!! Please Dick Van Dyke trying so hard to do a London Cockney accent was terrible!! but otherwise the original was good.

As for Willy Wonka, I loved the original Gene Wilder was magic, & of course all those differant Oompa Loompas, the new version didn't hold the same grip JMO:confused:

Generally, I don't like remakes of classic movies. I guess because I've seen the original many times and the remakes just don't measure up. I wish Hollywood would leave the classics alone and think of some new stuff.

I, too, loved the original Willy Wonka and, as much as I like Johny Depp, thought the remake stunk. It just wasn't the same.

Jules said:
Generally, I don't like remakes of classic movies. I guess because I've seen the original many times and the remakes just don't measure up. I wish Hollywood would leave the classics alone and think of some new stuff.

I, too, loved the original Willy Wonka and, as much as I like Johny Depp, thought the remake stunk. It just wasn't the same.
Then again, THE MALTESE FALCON w/Bogart was a remake of THE DEVIL IS A LADY (I think that was the original titile). So was HEAVEN CAN WAIT w/ Warren Beatty (which was originally HERE COMES MR. JORDAN). And A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN were remakes of YOJIMBO & THE SEVEN SAMURAI, respectively.

I'm not a big fan of remakes either. HOWEVER, if it will bring in a new generation of fans, what's the harm? It's not as though they take the old version off the shelf when they remake it.Take the new hit "Narnia" for example. It's been done before but do you think my children would watch it? Heavens no. After seeing the remake however, not only did they love the film, they've asked to read the rest of the series.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back