IN - Aaron Bailey, 45, unarmed, shot by police, 29 June 2017

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
What we know: The police shooting of Aaron Bailey

The fatal shooting early Thursday morning of 45-year-old Aaron Bailey, an unarmed black man, is moving Indianapolis into the national discussion about police powers, race and the use of deadly force.

A north-side traffic stop shortly before 2 a.m. Thursday led to a brief chase, a minor crash, a driver who reached down in his car and two officers who fatally shot him.

Officers stopped Bailey's vehicle about 1:45 a.m. near Burdsal Parkway and East Riverside Drive. Authorities have not indicated why the officers pulled him over, but according to online court records, a warrant had been issued for his arrest earlier that day because he had violated the terms of his release on a pending Feb. 2 theft charge.

He's had 11 felony charges since 1996. No gun charges are mentioned in the articles.

According to police after a brief chase and minor crash the officers approached Bailey, at that point he reached down toward his car's center console.. This was enough to convince both officers their lives were in danger and both fired their weapons.

Indianapolis police chief calls fatal shooting of unarmed driver a 'tragedy'

The death of 45-year-old Aaron Bailey was a “tragedy,” [Indianapolis Police Chief Bryan] Roach said.

“This is something that every city, every chief of police, every community, every mayor, hopes that never happens.”

The officers involved were Michal P. Dinnsen and Carlton J. Howard. Both joined IMPD in June 2014 and are no on administrative leave. Neither have received any disciplinary actions against them.

No dash cams. No body cams.

Back on My Feet running group shares memories of Aaron Bailey

Aaron Bailey, the man shot and killed by Indianapolis police last week, was a part of a city running group that encouraged individuals to turn their lives around.

Back on my Feet, the group for homeless men, met outside of Wheeler Mission.

"He should be remembered as a man who made mistakes in his life, but he found a family. You could see it in him. He loved being around us, and we loved being around him,” said Mark Smith who was formerly homeless and a participant in the running program.

poster_d727b7f3e7f64a0891407e25a47d46ab_62273820_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

This is so sad. My son recently got his driver's license and it really sucks that we had to tell him if he ever gets pulled over, he needs to keep hands on wheel and do not reach in glove box for insurance until cop is at window and he tells cop he's going to get his insurance. Then we decided, just carry insurance in your wallet but don't reach for your wallet without letting cop know. Crazy sad state we live in now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is so sad. My son recently got his driver's license and it really sucks that we had to tell him if he ever gets pulled over, he needs to keep hands on wheel and do not reach in glove box for insurance until cop is at window and he tells cop he's going to get his insurance. Then we decided, just carry insurance in your wallet but don't reach for your wallet without letting cop know. Crazy sad state we live in now!

At this point, just tape your insurance to the dash and point to it. No, don't point to it, nod to it. Any movement of hands is seen as aggression these days.

Maybe when someone is pulled over the police can just shout at them through their loudspeaker: "Get out of the car, get down on your knees, and put your hands on top of your head." Perhaps then they will feel safe.

At this point, just tape your insurance to the dash and point to it. No, don't point to it, nod to it. Any movement of hands is seen as aggression these days.

I never really realized (yes I'm dense sometimes) until my teenage brown son started driving. It really is a sad reality.

https://www.nuvo.net/news/the-shoot...cle_7591eabc-601c-11e7-81b4-a35ab5dd1002.html

"It is a human and civil rights issue. When there are no systems for accountability, safety is affected and anyone can be a victim,” she said. “Let Indianapolis be the last time people lose their lives and families are terrorized by a police force without accountability. Law enforcement accountability means safer communities for us all."*

“The reality is that there is no set standard for each and every law enforcement to follow,” says Adams. “In other words, every law enforcement may do if differently and with 18,000 law enforcements agencies representing 850,000 law enforcement officers you are certain to get differences.”

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

From that same link:

“Stay calm and compliance is the most referred to standard when dealing with the police,” says Adams. “I’m nervous when I’m stopped by the police and even as [a] police officer and supervisor, I’m compliant as that is likely to decrease the [approaching] officer’s fear.”

That's exactly why I told my kid what I did. Obviously I want to tell him to follow traffic laws and no reason to be pulled over but I think we all know there are petty traffic infractions that we don't think about. Idk what we do to fix it. Wish I did. All I can do at this point is make sure my kid doesn't become a statistic. I feel for the cops I really do but when you know your kid could become the next rallying cry only because the color of his skin, it really changes things in me.

EXCLUSIVE: Woman inside car with Aaron Bailey during fatal officer-involved shooting speaks out

"The police officers shot and killed him for no apparent reason," Ward said. "Just because the airbags hit him in the face. They thought he was reaching for a pistol, which he was not."

After a 9-minute traffic stop, Bailey sped from the scene and crashed into a tree near the intersection of 23rd Street and Aqueduct Street.

An altercation occurred after that crash and the two officers fired "multiple" rounds at the vehicle, hitting Bailey. He was taken to the hospital where he later died. IMPD has not been able to provide further details of what led to the shots being fired, pending an ongoing investigation into what happened.

This account is different from the others, saying there was an altercation after the crash, but they fired multiple rounds AT the vehicle. Wouldn't that mean he was inside at the time? Maybe they were just yelling back and forth.

These two articles mention an altercation too:

An altercation occurred after that crash, and the two officers fired "multiple" rounds at the vehicle, hitting Bailey. He was taken to the hospital where he later died.

The two officers who shot Bailey will likely have to go before a grand jury according to IMPD Chief Bryan Roach. The officers are on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.
http://www.wibc.com/news/local-news/aaron-bailey-had-warrant-out-his-arrest-same-day-he-was-shot

During that stop, Bailey sped from the scene, leading police on a brief chase before he crashed into a tree near the intersection of 23rd Street and Aqueduct Street.

An altercation occurred after that crash and the two officers fired "multiple" rounds at the vehicle, hitting Bailey.
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/...n-the-subject-of-16-police-reports-since-2014

EXCLUSIVE: Woman inside car with Aaron Bailey during fatal officer-involved shooting speaks out

This account is different from the others, saying there was an altercation after the crash, but they fired multiple rounds AT the vehicle. Wouldn't that mean he was inside at the time? Maybe they were just yelling back and forth.

These two articles mention an altercation too:

http://www.wibc.com/news/local-news/aaron-bailey-had-warrant-out-his-arrest-same-day-he-was-shot

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/...n-the-subject-of-16-police-reports-since-2014

It really bugs me that there seems to be no dash or body cam. I'd think there would at least be dashcam!

It really bugs me that there seems to be no dash or body cam. I'd think there would at least be dashcam!

Especially in a city the size of Indianapolis!

Altercation can mean physical OR verbal. If they fired AT the vehicle, that tells me he was in it at the time, else why would they fire at it if he were in a struggle with an officer?

Altercation can mean physical OR verbal. If they fired AT the vehicle, that tells me he was in it at the time, else why would they fire at it if he were in a struggle with an officer?

That's what I figured. Seems like "verbal confrontation" or some other more specific term should have been used.

This isn't directly related to this case and is discussing the issue of "problem cops" in Michigan but wonder how this same problem may translate in communities across the country.

It discusses how many problem officers are forced out of one jurisdiction but just end up finding a job in another jurisdiction. It makes sense that often those officers are hired on in more crime ridden communities due to budget constraints and not as many people seeking LE positions in those communities. That is just a recipe for disaster- aggressive officers with histories of misuse of power moving around to jurisdictions with higher crime and violence.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/07/09/how-problem-cops-stay-street/414813001/

A Detroit Free Press investigation found he’s a prime example of how lax oversight of police officers in Michigan puts citizens at risk by allowing cops to slip from community to community * despite alarming conduct, criminal histories and lawsuits that cost taxpayers millions.*

The investigation — which sought information from more than 50 agencies, primarily in southeast Michigan — pinpointed about two dozen officers, many of whom jumped from department to department in recent years like Robocop.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Family of man killed by police release statement

Aaron Bailey and his family are lifelong Indianapolis residents. We love the city, even as we see how far it needs to come to protect its residents equally. Racially motivated violence will remain a problem until criminal charges are pursued for shootings of unarmed citizens like Aaron Bailey. Given Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry’s close working relationship with the IMPD, we assert that a special prosecutor is necessary to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest. We hope the death of Aaron Bailey will lead to peaceful measures to stop racial bias and unreasonable force.

Aaron Bailey family calls for special prosecutor, may file lawsuit

“We got that call that no one wants to hear, no mother, no child, sister, brother, any family member doesn’t want to hear that their loved one had been shot and killed,” Brown said.

She described her brother as caring and protective of his siblings and children.

“I want to shed the light, not, you know, what everyone is trying to shed on him about his past problems; those were the past,” Brown said. “But honestly, he was a good family man running. Aaron was that family man.”

“We still have to go to bed at night not knowing what happened to our brother,” Brown said.

At this time, Brown said they are still waiting for the autopsy report and for police to release his car.

Many years before the recent publicized cases, I was told my by friend who is a police officer. If you get pulled over, immediately turn the light on inside your car, put your window down, and hands on the wheel. When the officer asks why you did that, to say “for both of our safety”. I’m a white female and would def do that if pulled over. It is for everyone’s safety. Again, this was taught to me long before the high profile cases in the media, so it’s just something that’s suck in my mind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back