MN MN - Mary Louise Ronning, Minneapolis, 1979

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Diane McCarthy is the sister of Mary Louise Ronning, who went missing from Minneapolis in 1979.

Families of the missing are trying to seek closure for their loved ones.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension held a DNA collection opportunity for nine people who are missing a family member. People had the opportunity to provide a DNA sample to be compared with people in the national missing persons database.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/07/15/bca-dna-collection/

There are two people referenced in the OP's linked article, which dates from 2017.

Shirley Magee (missing from Chicago, 1973). <modsnip: broken link>

Mary Louise Ronning (missing from Minneapolis, 1979). This is the only thread referencing her.

I have spent literally hours trying to track her down for the past month or so and just...nothing. Not in NamUs, Charley, the Minnesota BCA, newspapers, Ancestry, etc. I've looked for her in adjacent states (WI, IA, SD, ND). I've looked for her with green eggs and ham.

I'm assuming for no good reason that she was a teenager, but there's nothing to base that on.

It'd be great if a more experienced Ancestry-ian would give it a whirl.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a family tree on ancestry that lists someone with the same name, born in 1887 and married to HG with a place of death listed as St Louis, MN (a suburb of St Paul and Minneapolis). She would have been elderly by that point but I suppose it's possible.

Thanks for taking a look, victoriarobinson642!

I don’t think that’s her, just because the person submitting DNA in 2017 was her sister.

I do appreciate the lead though - St. Louis Park (likely the actual name of the place referred to in your research) - is nearby, so I can attempt some offline research if necessary.

I am also unable to read the link in #3. However, the Gonser name is a huge help. On 29 October 1977 Lawrence R Ronning married Mary L Gonser at Ramsey, Minnesota. Mary is shown as born circa 1954 (Lawrence circa 1958). So Mary went missing 2 years after her marriage. This is from a marriage record on Ancestry. Ancestry also has a divorce record for them from 1984 and a remarriage for Lawrence in 1987. A birth record for Mary show her DoB as 8 October 1954 in Ramsey to Stanley and Louise Gonser. Additionally, there are birth records for a son of Lawrence and Mary - Joseph Lawrence, and a daughter - Sarah Ann. These records do not have dates. I am sure this is the right person as Ancestry also has a birth record for Diane Gonser to the same parents - confirming the sister mentioned in #1 above.

Unfortunately that is the extent of what I have found so far.

update: I am getting confused. There are multiple people search records online showing a Mary L Ronning, age 67 (and in some cases even with the same DoB) living in Cleveland Ohio. I would normally discount such sources but in this case they also give a Sarah Ann as a relative. I suspect this is a red herring and, as often, the online sources have put things together incorrectly - but cannot be sure.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back