MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocco

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/woman-ki...ed-shooting-in-south-minneapolis/434782213/#1

The woman called 911 to report a possible assault in the alley behind her home.

'Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driver’s side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driver’s side door, sources said. No weapon was found at the scene.'

The body cams weren't on and there is no recording of the incident.

What the heck happened here????

Wonder if we get more info on this or if it just fades away!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She called the police for something going on at the back of her house and is telling the police why she rang them and the other police officer just lazily picks up his gun and kills her. Did her call interrupt their coffee break?

Ms Ruszczyk, in her pyjamas, reportedly went to the driver’s side door and was talking to the driving officer.

Minneapolis mayor Betsy Hodges said she intended to find out why the officers' body cameras were not turned on.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/07/17/08/57/australian-woman-shot-dead-by-police-after-911-call

What on earth happened? Did the police think it was an ambush? They couldn't see her approaching the car? If she was talking to them, why shoot her?!
This is just shocking!!

Ms Ruszczyk, in her pyjamas, reportedly went to the driver’s side door and was talking to the driving officer.

Minneapolis mayor Betsy Hodges said she intended to find out why the officers' body cameras were not turned on.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/07/17/08/57/australian-woman-shot-dead-by-police-after-911-call

What on earth happened? Did the police think it was an ambush? They couldn't see her approaching the car? If she was talking to them, why shoot her?!
This is just shocking!!

American police are frightened of a woman in her pyjamas, who had called them to report a crime going on behind her house? What cowards. The home of the brave?

This poor lady, a yoga instructor, had moved to the US to get married next month. Her fiancé was traveling on business so she probably got scared being home alone when she heard some noise in the alley. Her soon to have been stepson is demanding answers about why his "mom" was killed.

My heart sank reading this tragic story. I bet the cams were not turned off. The police are trying to find if other recordings such as from neighbors were made to likely make sure their made up story won't conflict with any evidence. I can't help but be skeptical of these cops. It was only recently that a cop from the same state was acquitted for shooting to death a man stopped for a traffic stop http://nypost.com/2017/07/17/woman-who-called-911-with-noise-complaint-shot-dead-by-cops/

Why the devil are they so quick to pull a gun? Enough of the excuses for this lazy troublesome behavior.

I have no idea what the police story even is. As far as I can tell, this woman was standing there in her pajamas and she wasn't armed.
Police hasn't released a reason as to why they shot and killed her.

I have no idea what the police story even is. As far as I can tell, this woman was standing there in her pajamas and she wasn't armed.
Police hasn't released a reason as to why they shot and killed her.

It's really bizarre. There's nothing about her that even fits any kind of 'profile' that would get an officer on edge, (rightly or wrongly). She was a slim, attractive, white, blonde, woman without any apparent mental illness, was by all accounts happy, isn't homeless, etc etc. The kind of person who would probably feel would never, ever be the target of a police shooting. The kind of person who anyone would think would be safe from a police shooting.

The police just HAVE to give their side of the story here. Is there more to the story??? Who IS safe from a police shooting? Anyone?

(please note I'M not saying slim white blonde women >>>>>> everyone else, just that from a police perspective, if you're on edge about being shot and think you'll shoot first, if you're going to profile - and we know that profiling happens, and it's often/usually based on gender/race/size etc ... just being realistic here, NOT saying I endorse it)

I'll wait for more info before jumping to conclusions because this makes zero sense as it's being reported. Tragic case regardless

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'll wait for more info before jumping to conclusions because this makes zero sense as it's being reported. Tragic case regardless

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I agree, I try not to jump to conclusions either, especially when nothing adds up.

I lived in the Twin Cities for nearly 6 decades. This makes zero sense. Tragic.

Why weren't the body cams on? There seems to be a problem with officers using them.

The Mpls police chief seems to be an effective leader ~ I want to know the the H happened. The officer in the passenger seat shot her through the driver's window??

So how is the average citizen supposed to handle a call to the police when they think they have a prowler? Stay locked in your house and don't come out even after police arrive? Just talk to them on the phone, but keep your door locked?

JMO, but we seem to have a problem with the quality of police training. Maybe it's time to revamp and retrain officers in how to avoid escalating situations. It seems the recent trend has been to train LE in military tactics, which are completely inappropriate for civilian, non-military policing. It's Minneapolis, not Afghanistan or Syria.

I keep reading articles trying to understand how this could have happened and none of them make any sense at all.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

A few years ago we had an incident with a family member acting out with someone next door to us. Those people called the cops who descended on us with three patrol cars. Two of the biggest guys I ever saw came to our door and wanted to come in to talk to my family member.

There was a time when I would have let them in without thinking. This time I said no. If they felt it necessary they could get a warrant. Otherwise I'd be glad to discuss with them what happened on the porch. We did, they were satisfied and left after cautioning us to deal with the matter. They seemed very taken back, I found myself thinking they could kill the family member or one of our pets. It's sad, it has come to this, I just do not have the trust in them I once had. Too much militarization, inadequate training whatever. I hate it. and I do not know the answer or where this goes.

An update on the officer involved: http://kstp.com/news/mohamed-noor-o...ond-fatal-minneapolis-shooting/4544324/?cat=1

Multiple sources have confirmed to KSTP Monday morning that the identity of the Minneapolis police officer who shot and killed a woman Saturday in southwest Minneapolis is Mohamed Noor.
Noor joined the department in March 2015 and is currently assigned to the 5th Precinct in the southwest part of the city. ...

He has a business degree from Augsburg College, which is a respected school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni