Cat calls 911, saves his owner's life!

Dark Knight

Reaction score
(AP) Police aren't sure how else to explain it. But when an officer walked into an apartment Thursday night to answer a 911 call, an orange-and-tan striped cat was lying by a telephone on the living room floor. The cat's owner, Gary Rosheisen, was on the ground near his bed having fallen out of his wheelchair.

Rosheisen said his cat, Tommy, must have hit the right buttons to call 911.

"I know it sounds kind of weird," Officer Patrick Daugherty said, unsuccessfully searching for some other explanation.

Rosheisen said he couldn't get up because of pain from osteoporosis and ministrokes that disrupt his balance. He also wasn't wearing his medical-alert necklace and couldn't reach a cord above his pillow that alerts paramedics that he needs help.

Daugherty said police received a 911 call from Rosheisen's apartment, but there was no one on the phone. Police called back to make sure everything was OK, and when no one answered, they decided to check things out.

That's when Daugherty found Tommy next to the phone.

Rosheisen got the cat three years ago to help lower his blood pressure. He tried to train him to call 911, unsure if the training ever stuck.

The phone in the living room is always on the floor, and there are 12 small buttons — including a speed dial for 911 right above the button for the speaker phone.

"He's my hero," Rosheisen said.

___

Information from: The Columbus Dispatch, http://www.dispatch.com

It is amazing what animals can do, I only someone takes the time to explore it with them. Great story.

Very cool if it's true....even if the cat didn't dial 911 I'm sure he's done wonders for his owners health anyway.

Someone must have dialed 911. I understand he had tried to train the cat to do that - if this is the story I remember... or was that a kid...

Cats are pretty smart.

My cousin's had a cat that could answer the phone. When it would ring he'd knock it off the hook and purr into the phone. It kinda drove you nuts if you needed to talk to him cause that cat would be right on top of answering the phone and sometimes they wouldn't hear it ring. Cats are amazing and very smart.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back